Advance auto oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before it has been discussed that these are the basic Purolator filter with an anti-slip coating.

I stock up on them when they are 2-fer-1, like they are right now. None of the engines I have used them on have blown up, burned oil or siezed.

definetly purolators. one of the best deals for oil filters even when they are normal price ($2.50/ea)

Definitely Purolator.
wink.gif
I bought 5 of them today at $1.34 each; Four AA16's for the Neon, and one AA2 for Mom's 4.6 Liter Mercury Grand Marquis. The AA2 even has the "flat oval" inlet holes in the base plate just like a Motorcraft FL-820S!
cool.gif
But while the Motorcraft has red silicone anti-drainback valve & "top of the element" bypass setup, the AA2 has black rubber antidrain valve & bottom of element bypass valve. For $1.34, I think it's a perfectly acceptable substitute!
grin.gif

And yes, they have that cool red anti-slip paint job on them.
cheers.gif

Advance Auto filters & other stuff on sale through Jan 28. Get a few before they're all gone, you know you'll kick yourself if you don't.

i may buy a few of these myself since they are buy one get one free at AA.

anyone know if there is a limit?

Are they pretty much the same thing as Pep Boys Pro Line filters?

I thought someone did a test cutting the AA open(Kanling?) and found that the media wasn't as good or something as the Purolater ones...I could be wrong on the name so sorry Kanling if it was not you!

Goose
patriot.gif

What I found here 1zzfe&2azfe filters

was that the Purolator, Adv Auto, and Pro-Line were all constructed identically. The only difference was the media.

Purolator and Proline were about the same thickness, AA filter media was significantly thinner. (I have to make the presumption that thicker is probably better.)

I tell you what, though... the current sale price at AAP for this filter is very nice even if the filter is slightly lower quality media.

I should also point out that I have heard other reports where the AA filters have less media area than Purolator, for the size I looked at that wasn't the case.

Does anybody know if they make a filter that is the same size as the Purolater and the Pro line 14477? I want to say last time I checked they only had the numbers that coincide with the Fram 4967 which is the same size as the 14476. I prefer to run the slighty larger filter

Goose
patriot.gif

So the 4386 is the same size as the 14477 or is it the 14476 size that so many filter makers have for both the 1zz and the 2zz engines? (AC Delco PF1233, FRam 4967, ST 4967, M1 M-103, etc?)

Goose
patriot.gif

Aha...so it is....doh!
pat.gif

Thanks kanling...I think the only concern I have is the flaky red paint that some others have mentioned.....

Goose
patriot.gif

Too bad you don't live near me, Blue_Goose. I've got an extra case of Premium Plus L14476 filters (3 years' worth?) that I'm trying to get rid of for $12 (case=12 filters).

BTW: Anybody in the Hanover/Gettysburg(PA) or Owings Mills/Frederick(MD) area who might be interested in a case, PM me. It's not worth shipping them, but I could arrange a meet-up.

Mustang_Cougar

Thats a good price Mustang....they are selling for 4.77 at Advance Auto. I use the 14477 now..I like the oversize and it seems to have quieted my engine down a bit.

I looked at the AA ones and I can't get past the flaky paint job on them and each one that I looked at had some overspray on the plate area. AA price matched Pep Boys Coupon price of 1.99 (wouldnt go for the rebate price of .99)for the Premium Plus L14477 so I bought 2 of them instead. The AA filters would probably work ok but for peace of mind I went with the Purolaters. Plus I get to keep the coupon if Pep Boys EVER gets the 14477 back in stock.
smile.gif

Goose
patriot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back