Adobe Flash going away?

Need some of you computer gurus to tell me if I need to do something. After windows update Adobe is asking me to remove flash player as it's end of life is EOY.

I use Chrome, maybe it is integrated into the browsers now?

:unsure:

Our local National Weather Service office still uses it for looping radar images. Of course, the local weather radio and Emergency Alert System has been down for nearly a year as well. My hard earned dollars at work.

Need some of you computer gurus to tell me if I need to do something. After windows update Adobe is asking me to remove flash player as it's end of life is EOY.

Unless you took all the steps to enable it, flash has been installed but disabled for years.

1603753408264.png

If you don't see this when you first open Chrome, it is disabled on all sites. And will likely be automatically removed in future updates.

If you installed it in internet explorer, It would be a great idea to manually remove it now as it would be active. Just because "someone" never opens internet explorer does not mean it's not in use by the OS and vulnerable to attack. .

After windows update Adobe is asking me to remove flash player as it's end of life is EOY.

Adobe is saying remove it if you don't need it ... it's not saying you have to remove it.

Our local National Weather Service office still uses it for looping radar images. Of course, the local weather radio and Emergency Alert System has been down for nearly a year as well. My hard earned dollars at work.
There is a way around this, when clicking for the radar loop, at the top of the radar image you will see a link to your local weather.
Click on that link and it will take you "back" to your local weather, scroll all the way down to the images, click on the radar and you will have full motion and motion options with no flash.

My Internet Explorer browser keeps poping it up when I look for updates and won't allow me to hide it. Every time I hide it it comes back next time unhidden and suggesting an install.

I will keep flash until NWS stops using it! I don't care if it is "depreciated" or obsolete. If it works it works.

I will keep flash until NWS stops using it! I don't care if it is "depreciated" or obsolete. If it works it works.
They likely will convert their stuff to HTML5 soon. Huge business for our company that was known as expert flash development house at one time converting and upgrading all sorts of games and sites to HTML5.

How about moving away from Internet Explorer then? IE is an old browser, no longer developed, replaced with Edge.

I still use it to monitor my security camera system, it is the only browser that didn't remove their H.264 support (patent troll trying to charge $ after Google gave theirs away for free). However I don't use it for anything else now and switched to Firefox / Chrome / Edge.

Flash and Java RE are both relics from the dot com boom days before security issues were though out. People moved to HTML5 and other stuff now, much more stable too.

Flash/Silverlight/etc is a pox on the world of web use. Banish it to the dustbin of history where it belongs as soon as possible, or sooner if possible.

Meh, despite claims that flash has (always) been insecure, I've had to use it extensively over the years and never had a single problem, EXCEPT when some website decides it's a good idea to plaster up 20 different ads all using flash then you have an annoyingly distracting page that slows the browser to a crawl.

Then again I could see keeping it disabled on your main use browser and have another installed with it active for when you need it.

Flash Player is like the drunk BIL at your wedding’s party. Can’t stand him, but you have to wait till the party is over to get rid of him.

Back