Addressing rear drums on a 2001 Taurus...

I'm now driving a relative's 2001 Taurus and they cannot recall when the drums were ever serviced. This vehicle now has 170k and I'm going to get in there the next warm day we have to replace what's needed. I recently replaced the front with Raybestos pads yet it still doesn't feel right when braking. What do you recommend replacing with the rear?

I try to match friction surfaces front and back. It's not critical, but theoretically a good idea. So if you can match your shoes with the same material as your Raybestos front pads, it may calm your mind.
Be sure the rears are correctly adjusted. That goes a long way to get a good pedal feel.

I'm now driving a relative's 2001 Taurus and they cannot recall when the drums were ever serviced. This vehicle now has 170k and I'm going to get in there the next warm day we have to replace what's needed. I recently replaced the front with Raybestos pads yet it still doesn't feel right when braking. What do you recommend replacing with the rear?
Remove the drums and inspect the shoes, hardware and wheel cylinders. It may just need a clean and adjust.

I've done them a few times. If there's not too much rust, you might be able to get the drums off. But I'd do the whole job. You can get new springs and adjuster kits on Rockauto for not much money. Wheel cylinders too. My guess is the wheel cylinders are leaking. Which means probably the whole drum is now coated in brake fluid.

I've got an '02. Brakes are lousy but pedal is firm. Rear parking brake barely holds. I wonder if something is up.

Go with Motorcraft, Wagner or Raybestos. Your drums may be okay. Have them measured to be sure if they are within specifications. If not, buy new. You can buy brake cylinder kits from Wagner or Raybestos. With the age of the car and mileage, I would buy new cylinders. As far as shoes, you may be able to find organic or semi-metallic. There are two different sized drums for this car so, you may want to get them from your Ford dealership or get the correct diameter measurement first.

I've got an '02. Brakes are lousy but pedal is firm. Rear parking brake barely holds. I wonder if something is up.
Well it doesn't sound like it, but if I had known in advance, I would have replaced the master cylinder sooner. It's no fun when your foot goes to the floor and you have no brakes, but realize that if you pump the brakes you can still get the car to stop. Master cylinder was cheap but the aftermarket ones were no good, tried 2 of them and they didn't fit right, had to take a part off the old one to get it work right. Rear parking brake cable is known to rust up or it could just be the adjuster that's rusted up and not working.

Bendix makes a pre-assembled kit so you don't have to deal with those scary springs :)
Bendix pre-assembled it along with Powerstop coated drums would be the best combo if you don't want to use OEM.

Otherwise, Rock Auto carries the OE Motorcraft drums and shoes for your Taurus. Make sure the Motorcraft parts you buy say "OE Design" which is actual OE and not the cheaper "Service" design which is cheap aftermarket reboxed :sneaky:

Back