Adding Transmission Drain Plug? Silverado

I’m doing some maintenance before cool weather comes. My 2017 Silverado has 60k miles, thinking about a trans filter change and at least partial fluid. There is no drain plug on the trans pan. I ordered a drain plug from Jegs.

I was thinking of finding a spot on the lower side, without internal interference. I also ordered the 1/2” drill bit from Jegs. Any tips before pan removal, magnet cleaning, filter change, then drain plug installation? I plan to keep the truck a good while yet.
I tig welded a 1/4" thread o let onto my when I dropped it for it's 1st filter and fluid R&R.

Also, there is the exhaust pipe in the way of pan removal. Any replace pan can’t be much larger/deeper, hard to fit.

Yes, the Camaro pan comes up in a search.

Also, there is the exhaust pipe in the way of pan removal. Any replace pan can’t be much larger/deeper, hard to fit.

They are a pain … when going back on … I use 4 really short bolts to hold the gasket and then get the OEM bolts started by the exhaust … there is then room to get the short bolts out and keep stabbing long bolts

Camaro 8L90E & 6L80E pans do not have a drain plug......That's a "Check Bolt" & has a stand off in the pan for checking ATF level, You won't get much out of it!

:cry:

Someone on eBay modifies the 6L80 pans to add a drain plug and sells them for $100. That would be my choice, then.
The seller has two versions: one with just the drain plug, and one with the drain plug and that check bolt for Camaro use.

The aftermarket deep pan is designed to clear the exhaust pipe. I installed one on my Escalade, which has the exhaust right under the pan. The whole reason I really wanted a drain plug was so I wouldn't have to deal with dropping the exhaust again on future fluid changes. It fits great.

Not ea
The aftermarket deep pan is designed to clear the exhaust pipe. I installed one on my Escalade, which has the exhaust right under the pan. The whole reason I really wanted a drain plug was so I wouldn't have to deal with dropping the exhaust again on future fluid changes. It fits great.

Did you install it? Or have a garage do it? It's not that easy. It takes some technique.

Topsider will pull the fluid up and out the dipstick tube. If there’s enough junk in the trans filter the damage is done or on the way. Quick and easy and don’t have to struggle underneath especially with the exhaust pipe that’s in the way.

Not ea

Did you install it? Or have a garage do it? It's not that easy. It takes some technique.
I installed it myself. I know all too well how difficult it is. But it's no more difficult than removing and reinstalling the stock pan. I had to unbolt the Y-pipe from the exhaust manifolds. Even though the nuts and studs appeared to be in good shape and not rusted, I had to use a torch to get them loose and they came out kicking and screaming the whole way, boogering up the threads in the process.. I ended up having to remove the driver's side manifold entirely to fix the studs. Makes me really glad I now have a drain plug and I won't have to do that again.

That being said, I would've had to do all of that anyway, even if I was just doing a pan drop/refill and reinstalling the stock pan.

I installed it myself. I know all too well how difficult it is. But it's no more difficult than removing and reinstalling the stock pan. I had to unbolt the Y-pipe from the exhaust manifolds. Even though the nuts and studs appeared to be in good shape and not rusted, I had to use a torch to get them loose and they came out kicking and screaming the whole way, boogering up the threads in the process.. I ended up having to remove the driver's side manifold entirely to fix the studs. Makes me really glad I now have a drain plug and I won't have to do that again.

That being said, I would've had to do all of that anyway, even if I was just doing a pan drop/refill and reinstalling the stock pan.
That's the wisdom on here-pan drops. I plan to do the same thing that I did on my last Silverado-a transmission fluid exchange at the dealer (at 50,000 miles-even then being a frequent tower-visually it still looked good). Filter cleaning and/or replacement is totally not needed-IMHO.

It's better to heat the manifold if running across a stubborn up-pipe nut, It will come out with the stud attached to the nut. Then you can simply replace the stud & nut with OE parts.

I rarely run across this issue on GMT800/900 platforms though.....Spray some PB Blaster on the studs/nuts & let them soak for a few minutes, Then hit them again right before I put my 1/2" drive Snap-on 15mm Semi Deep wobble socket on them with a 1/2" IR232 Impact. Hand tools will get you in trouble real fast!

I've also noticed issues when electric impacts are used instead of a "Big Hammer" Air Impact.

Coat the studs with some anti seize before reassembly.

LiqiVac is my weapon of choice draining my '11 Tahoe. 40k drain intervals and going strong at 110k miles with towing use.
Would use it anyway if dropping the pan, less mess.

My mercury panther platform had no drain. I pulled the pan and swapped the filter. Then i just unhooked the trans return from the radiator and replaced fluid into the dipstick hole.

Does the truck have a dipstick ? If not then dump and fill and use a rubber gasket from napa. Its good for several uses. After three or five pan dumps you should be good for the life of the truck.

Back