Adding MOS2 to an aluminum motor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious if there is any benefit to adding MOS2 to the aluminum motor in my Acura. The can of MOS2 states that it clings to metal parts for smoother operation but my motor is aluminum. I added the can when I changed the oil with Super Tech Synthetic 5W20 acouple months back. Purchased 5 -- five quart jugs when they had it priced for $12.00 a jug. Gonna run this oil/MOS2 combination 5000 miles. Currently have approx. 1300 miles on this blend & OLM is at 90%.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your motor has steel piston liners I'm sure. Steel crankshaft, timing gears and cams etc..

The block is aluminum, not the bearing surfaces. Your engine has iron cylinder sleeves, steel rings, cam lobes/rockers, etc. MOS2 will work in your engine, but I'd recommend switching to a high-moly fully formulated engine oil such as Mazda 0w20 (MGMO) or Quaker State 0w20.

Don't waste your money, the Honda engine needs a solid additive or any other OTC additional additive for that matter in the oil like you need a hole in the head.
I remember MoS2 back in its heyday when oils were very poor by today's standards and it possibly helped but those days are long gone. Only old engines may benefit from a ZDDP additive because no real alternative has been found to prevent the kind of cam wear they experience.

The OTC oil additive racket is a huge multi billion dollar money maker and the companies that produce them don't want to see the cash cow die. In reality with the exception of addressing certain conditions that may be helped by a sealer or cleaner for older or abused engines you can take the whole oil additive aisle and toss it in the bin.

Most oil additive works with aluminium as well, but it takes more time to build anti friction coating at aluminium surface than at steel surface.

My BMW has no iron cylinder liners...the pistons and rings ride directly on the aluminum block. So...yeah, kind of interested in the answer to this...although I believe that it would be nearly if not equally effective.

Originally Posted By: DriveHard
My BMW has no iron cylinder liners...the pistons and rings ride directly on the aluminum block. So...yeah, kind of interested in the answer to this...although I believe that it would be nearly if not equally effective.

Yes, but the block is an aluminum-silicon alloy specially heat treated and may have DTC coatings, depending on year of manf.

Addition of extra Moly adds nothing to decrease COF.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

Addition of extra Moly adds nothing to decrease COF.

Any chance you could please expand on that statement? Are you saying just because it is aluminum it doesn't change the COF, or adding moly to any engine doesn't change it?

Most engine oils already contain a moly compound.

Adding more moly does not further reduce the COF.

As with any chemistry, adding more only gets you to a point of no return.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Adding more moly does not further reduce the COF.

Doesn't overdosing increase wear?

Ummm... aluminum IS a metal... MoS2 bonds with metals (not just iron), thus...

Thorromig
How many miles in your car? One of the things about MoS2 is that you're not supposed to use it prior to 30 - 40K mi -- I remember LiquiMoly literature to this effect, which I cannot for the life of me find.

This is another reason why very few LM oils come with a ton of MoS2, as it will hinder the break-in period of an engine (again, you're not supposed to start using it for at least 30K mi (or 50,000km)).

DriveHard:
Which BMW do you have? I've been running MoS2 in my '03 325 (M56) for just under 100,000 miles -- engine's so smooth you can't tell it's idling. Same effect in my '05 330 (M54) and the x3 (M54). Valves so clean you could eat off of them.

My friend's run it on his 530 (N52) for 50K mi and his 335 (N54 turbo). Noticeable difference in engine feel/sound after even only 20 - 30 miles (of course, once you've driven 40K miles, you kinda know how the car sounds, sooo; BTW, he was a MoS2 doubter before that day).

A couple of others with Infinitis/VW/Toyotas experienced the same thing (all cars MY 2003 or newer).

Everyone else -- say what you will, the COF is absolutely, without a doubt, reduced -- you couldn't possibly silence the engines that way otherwise, nor could you change the smooth cold-starts (even after a few weeks, that first crank is as smooth as if you'd started it warm). Also, with a number of those cars mentioned above, the first MoS2 bottle was added about halfway (give or take) into that current OCI, so maybe 3500 miles in... it had nothing to do with the oil in the car or anything else -- only change was the MoS2.

Wow it took you nine years to make your first post after joining?

Originally Posted By: Sicily1918
Ummm... aluminum IS a metal... MoS2 bonds with metals (not just iron), thus...

Thorromig
How many miles in your car? One of the things about MoS2 is that you're not supposed to use it prior to 30 - 40K mi -- I remember LiquiMoly literature to this effect, which I cannot for the life of me find.

This is another reason why very few LM oils come with a ton of MoS2, as it will hinder the break-in period of an engine (again, you're not supposed to start using it for at least 30K mi (or 50,000km)).

DriveHard:
Which BMW do you have? I've been running MoS2 in my '03 325 (M56) for just under 100,000 miles -- engine's so smooth you can't tell it's idling. Same effect in my '05 330 (M54) and the x3 (M54). Valves so clean you could eat off of them.

My friend's run it on his 530 (N52) for 50K mi and his 335 (N54 turbo). Noticeable difference in engine feel/sound after even only 20 - 30 miles (of course, once you've driven 40K miles, you kinda know how the car sounds, sooo; BTW, he was a MoS2 doubter before that day).

A couple of others with Infinitis/VW/Toyotas experienced the same thing (all cars MY 2003 or newer).

Everyone else -- say what you will, the COF is absolutely, without a doubt, reduced -- you couldn't possibly silence the engines that way otherwise, nor could you change the smooth cold-starts (even after a few weeks, that first crank is as smooth as if you'd started it warm). Also, with a number of those cars mentioned above, the first MoS2 bottle was added about halfway (give or take) into that current OCI, so maybe 3500 miles in... it had nothing to do with the oil in the car or anything else -- only change was the MoS2.

welcome2.gif

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Wow it took you nine years to make your first post after joining?
Ha! I know! I'd forgotten I'd created an account and was doing research (again)... on a hunch I logged in and voila -- I was already registered!

once an oil change has been done and the mos2 dumped. do u need to add in a new bottle of it or do the effects of it still last after an oil change?

Originally Posted By: garteck171985
Se puede utilizar mos2 con royal purple HPS? alguien tiene la experiencia?

"Can mos2 be used with royal purple HPS? Does anyone have the experience?"

Thanks for your feedback. I presently have 102,067 miles on the car. This oil & MOS2 combo is super smooth & you cant even hear the car running. So its way past its 30-40 k miles for adding MoS2. Im hoping this motor is just broken in & I can get years & years of service out of this vehicle. Have done three drain & refills of the automatic transmission since purchased with 82,077 miles on it & that has helped significantly also. Have a nice weekend!!
smile.gif

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back