Adding limited slip to 2wd 1999 S-10

I'd like to add limited slip to my mother's 1999 4.3 2wd S-10. The thing gets stuck everywhere in the yard and is hard to keep from spinning taking off from a stop in the rain. I've been looking at this unit which I believe would be the correct unit despite the website saying it doesn't fit. Anyone have any experience with these units:

I've had a diff apart and back together to replace seals, but never installed a different carrier. How much measuring/setting up is required?

Setting up of rear gears is pretty technical and easy to mess up. Why not look for a bone yard 7.5 or 8.5 rear originally equipped with limited slip? A good number of these came that way. The axle codes "G76," "G80" and "G81" are limited slip. Double check for your specific year.

Personally, I would start with a new set of good all terrain tires.

As ripcord said it can get messy to get into diff swaps and it's a good idea to invest in tires at least for the rear. Maybe throw some gravel down and compact it in afterwards by driving over it at idle multiple times like i did at my small farm. It's held up well over the years.

Have you tried dragging the parking brake? It will give you some idea of how effective a limited slip might be, in wet grass at least.

Last edited:
You could find another S10 with a G80 at a junk yard possibly, they are not regular limited slip differentials what happens is when there is a difference of speed a weight swings out and engages it locking both wheels, but until that speed difference is reached it is open differential.

The G80 actually has clutches in it, and it is recommend against using limited slip additive in them.

I had my mechanic put a Detroit Truetrac in my C1500. This one and my previous C1500 would get stuck in my driveway with a gentle grade, even with 800# of sand in the bed. Love it and have not gotten stuck since. I didn't trust myself to do the job even though my mechanic said I could. To me somethings are worth paying for. Good luck if you try it.

It's not transplanting a kidney but also not for the faint of heart as you only get one chance with a crush collar, too much and you chuck it and start with a new one. That said, youtube is a treasure trove of information these days and you could do it with a dial gauge, magnetic base for the gauge, inch LB torque wrench that has a dial, a shim kit and 3 or 4 crush collars.

It would probably be just as economical, assuming you don't already have the above tools, to find a boneyard LS and swap that in.

Back