Adding a turbo to a na engine

Overheating from running on the governor I can believe. They weren't doing that anymore afterwards.
usually they run at max rpm for the accessory speed and power.
This is a tractor application not everything from automobile or trucks is relevant.

High RPm always means high EGT in a diesel, that'sa why most reduce fueling above a certain rpm or actually monitor EGT

Bet that tractor ran right at the limit. Lean burning however never increases combustion temperatures

The military had (has?) turbo charged Kubota diesel generators for high elevation. That said, I don’t think you’ll see a difference at ground level.

Is your machine lacking in power? What engine is it?

I too am still trying to wrap my head around the physics of that. I still don’t see you how you can run a diesel too lean. Fuel is control for everything, from desired RPM to full power. I don’t see how just by simply adding air with no more fuel will make it over heat. There are thousands of pickups with larger drop in turbos and the benefit is lower EGTS (more air to burn whatever left over fuel there is). None of them experience over heating. Granted, i this is going from NA to turbo, but still shouldn’t matter. Working against the governor as previously stated I can see that happening, but not just from increased air flow. There are even turbo kits for the old 7.3 IDI available for the non turbo models that you could bolt on with no fuel added, and none of those trucks had issues over heating or running hot. The benefit is reduced exhaust gas temperatures

If you have any literature backing up running a diesel too lean I’d love to see it.
Totally right of what i learned.
Old diesels dont even have intake trottle just regulating the amount of diesel injected to regulate rpm/power. Fully open intakes and free airflow. To little fuel then the engine not revs up.
On old diesels like MB it was common to add a turbo and then just adjust the injection pump to give more fuel to gain some horsepowers. If you wanted more you changed the pump elements and injectors to get more fuel. The MB engines holds up pretty good för turbocharging.
The Finnish guys are pretty famous for they mercedes turbo builts.
The only thing i know thats may overheat a diesel beside of to much fuel is if it gets engine oil pushed in by a bad turbo

I wonder if the overheating is caused by igniting sooner when the air pressure is up, advancing the ignition during the compression stroke.

The engine is the Kubota d902. 25 hp and Kubota offers it with a turbo so I think the innards are the same.

I am worried that it is under powered for what I need it for. Ventrac is using this engine because of tier iv. Anything bigger needs exhaust treatment.

The only other machine I am considering is much bigger, but has a 45 HP deutz diesel. Power trac 1845. Plus it's more coin.

I have some nasty slopes I need to mow/brush hog so I need a slope capable machine

Totally right of what i learned.
Old diesels dont even have intake trottle just regulating the amount of diesel injected to regulate rpm/power. Fully open intakes and free airflow. To little fuel then the engine not revs up.
On old diesels like MB it was common to add a turbo and then just adjust the injection pump to give more fuel to gain some horsepowers. If you wanted more you changed the pump elements and injectors to get more fuel. The MB engines holds up pretty good för turbocharging.
The Finnish guys are pretty famous for they mercedes turbo builts.
The only thing i know thats may overheat a diesel beside of to much fuel is if it gets engine oil pushed in by a bad turbo
New diesels don't even have an intake throttle, they might have something that looks like one but is actually their to either work with the EGR valve and correct intake flow to account for EGR flow or it's there as an anti-shudder valve which cuts off the air intake when you shut off the engine. They still control throttle almost entirely by controlling the amount of fuel injected.

Back