adding a remote engine oil filter to filter atf...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not ANY oil filter can be used.
Even though it is unlikely, you'll need to make sure it has a bypass. And, make sure its threads match your mount.

I don't see the need to use an ATF specific filter. Just stick with a premium filter for improved filtration. And, a cool collar or filter mag can be added to the oil filter for additional cooling or filtration.

Permacool, derale, transdapt, B&M.... have easy to install kits that include everything so that you don't have to hunt for parts.

I wanted a remote for my 93 Ram 250/Cummins. Couldn't find a tranny filter for the 1/2" lines. I bought a remote engine oil filter mount and it works fine for ten years now

Wix sells a mount that mounts the big allison-type high-efficiency screw on filters. The wix mount has a built in bypass. It has either 1" or 3/4" threads that you can put any fitting on it.

http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/conversion.asp

For the do-it-yourselfer or custom application, oil filter mounts can be found on ebay, swap meets, and garage sales. Most hardware and autoparts stores will have adapters, hose, fittings.... that'll make it work.

For what it's worth, WIX specifies the 51365 for ATF on all Subarus with spin-on ATF filters and for Engine Oil on many Subarus and other makes.

I've been filtering the ATF on both my GM vehicles with spin-on oil filters for years. About 8 years ago, I welded up my own filter-head for my '94 Corsica, designed to filter the ATF through two PF-53 filters. I picked those particular filters because they had 3/4" X 16 threads, which worked easily with my cobbled-up design... AND the filters contain an 8-10 psi bypass valve; extra protection in case of a plugged filter. On that vehicle, I usually replace one of the two filters every year or so. That's probably more often than necessary- but it's cheap insurance. I also have an oil-to-air cooler plumbed in in front of the a/c condensor, and just spliced into those lines to plumb in the filters. Roughly 80,000 miles later (170,000 total), the tranny is doing fine.

My '01 Chevy Lumina has a similar setup. About 3-4 years ago (160,000 miles), I plumbed in an oil-to-air cooler from an '02 Ford Expedition, and plumbed in an homemade filter head at the same time. This time, I found a hydraulic fitting that used the same 7/8" thread as a small-block chevy filter... and welded that into the base. I'm using the filter for a Chevy Duramax engine (don't remember the number), which fits on the same base as a small-block chevy filter, but also contains a 14psi bypass for peace of mind. This is a big filter, but only costs about $9 for the AC Delco version, so I've been replacing it every year or two. Probably overkill, but the transmission still works great at 197,000 miles.

Make sure whatever you use has a bypass valve, either in the filter or the housing. Because cooler flow goes to the lube circuit in most automatics, blockage for any reason will kill the tranny fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back