Ad-Aware vs Spy Sweeper ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't use Spyware Docotr; it's KNOWN for false positives, and when tested by some of the folks at Wilders and in some of the other professional testing, it doesn't do very well against the truely nasty stuff out there. It's very good for adware and spyware.

At the same time, Ewido 4.0 is now Ewido Antispyware and it's great for truely nasties like Keyloggers and Trojans but when tested on Adware and spyware, it sucks really bad.

Drew,
I looked up the link you provided...the free version does not offer real time protection, but neither does Adaware SE, so I guess it can still be useful...

Yea, unfortunetally, non of the free anti-malware programs offer real time protection (except Spyware doctor I think) and with superantispyware, you basically have to have the paid version to have the super duper behaviour based protection. But hey, one more weapon in the war against malware!

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
Generated 08/09/2006 at 12:17 PM

Core Rules Database Version : 3047
Trace Rules Database Version: 1097

Memory threats detected : 0
Registry threats detected : 2
File threats detected : 2

Adware.Tracking Cookie
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@atwola[1].txt

Browser Hijacker.Apropos Media/PeopleOnPage
HKCR\CLSID\*7DD95801-9882-11CF-9FA9-00AA006C42C4}
HKCR\CLSID\*7DD95801-9882-11CF-9FA9-00AA006C42C4}\409

Dialer.Coulomb
C:\dialler.exe
---------------------------------------------
They might not be that great findings, but I really don't remember Adaware and Spybot showing these exact ones...(if I'm not mistaken)

I use SAS and NOD32. I find it a potent combination that doesn't consume the entire system.

yep. I'm running a smart scan with SuperASW right now...doesn't bog my pc at all, really, and VERY nice UI...so far found 3 things that Adaware never saw (in registry and files) ...5 min into the smart scan now
smile.gif

I like it already.

My weapons right now:

FireFox 1.5 ...(a weapon by itself, imo)
Adware SE free
SpyBot 1.4
AVG free
SpyWareBlaster free
SpiderBite
CCleaner...and the latest:
SuperAntiSpyware

..and all these live in harmony in my Compaq desktop...no fights btw them
smile.gif

What did Super AS find???

I think the BEST real time defense against all this craap is FF! Aheeeeeem, I've done some "high risk"
grin.gif
surfing and nothing gets through.

SPD 4.0 didnt slow my PC down unlike Spy Sweeper. 4.0 is a new ball game compared to 3.x. The good thing is it's a full version with daily updates and you don't have to pay for it till it actually finds a problem. So you could run it for months or longer for free. Can't beat that IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back