Acura Crankshaft Sensor Potting (AKA Camshaft Positon Sensor)

Need a little advice here:

It seems the potting in the Camshaft Position Sensor (Acura Calls it the Sensor, Crank Cylinder 37840-PY3-026) has decided to depart its assigned seat. I know this has been going on for quite some time (like 75 or so thousand miles) because it has been running out the timing belt cover, I thought it was sealer that was used the last time the TB was done. This sensor is behind the left camshaft sprocket.

The engine runs fine and has no codes.

Should I:

1. Do nothing and put it all back together
  2. Try to repot it and if so with what (plain old epoxy?)
  3. Replace it with an aftermarket when I can get one (OE is discontinued.) There is not one in stock anywhere near.

CamSensor.jpg

Last edited:
So McMaster Carr has an assortment of potting compounds...

I think I will give 2 a try.

Problem with 3 is that: A I will have to put it back together anyway as all of the ones I can find say they will be delayed shipping and B they are 200 bucks.

I think i could probably manage to change this without tearing the whole front of the motor apart again if it does go bad.

genuine part is 259 OBO on ebay.

aftermarket is 80 ships fast. i’ve had great luck with whitebox crank sensors

Part of the problem will be finding a potting that is compatible with the original potting material, since it looks like there is a good amount of it left in there. Is it gooey and can it be cleaned out with a solvent that wont damage the wiring? If the new stuff doesn't bond to the old stuff you'll eventually have a separation between them. What are the CTE (coefficient of thermal expansion) concerns and damaging the wiring / components?
I'd probably go with option 1, then option 3 when and if it dies.

Randol, good point.

It is somewhat gooey, brake cleaner takes it off but not sure if brake cleaner will also harm the wiring and what appears to be coils. My rough plan was to clean it from the walls of the aluminum housing best I could and lay the new compound over the top hoping that it would seal to the aluminum and at least stabilize the remaining old potting compound while sealing the components from the elements.

Not a huge selection on potting compounds in stock in Atlanta that are ready to use without an expensive gun. I picked a Ready-to-Use Silicone Potting Compound, Dow Corning 3165.

Michael, couldn't find a listing for Denso.

@EHA, I don't do E-Bay. I found a Beck Arnley for a little over 100 that is supposed to ship tomorrow. Hoping it is worth a darn (maybe reboxed OEM) and that it actually ships. Second choice was Standard Motor Products.

Guess on this particular part I have mixed feelings on the OE, on one hand it is still going at 200,000, on the other hand the potting was clearly not up to snuff.

I guess if the new part actually shows up and doesn't look like junk i'll use it... otherwise we are back to 1 or 2.

I sorta suspect his car will not make it to the next timing belt interval and parts are getting increasingly hard to get and expensive... might be time to look for a replacement...

Randol, good point.

It is somewhat gooey, brake cleaner takes it off but not sure if brake cleaner will also harm the wiring and what appears to be coils. My rough plan was to clean it from the walls of the aluminum housing best I could and lay the new compound over the top hoping that it would seal to the aluminum and at least stabilize the remaining old potting compound while sealing the components from the elements.

Not a huge selection on potting compounds in stock in Atlanta that are ready to use without an expensive gun. I picked a Ready-to-Use Silicone Potting Compound, Dow Corning 3165.

Michael, couldn't find a listing for Denso.

@EHA, I don't do E-Bay. I found a Beck Arnley for a little over 100 that is supposed to ship tomorrow. Hoping it is worth a darn (maybe reboxed OEM) and that it actually ships. Second choice was Standard Motor Products.

Guess on this particular part I have mixed feelings on the OE, on one hand it is still going at 200,000, on the other hand the potting was clearly not up to snuff.

I guess if the new part actually shows up and doesn't look like junk i'll use it... otherwise we are back to 1 or 2.

I sorta suspect his car will not make it to the next timing belt interval and parts are getting increasingly hard to get and expensive... might be time to look for a replacement...
You could try contact cleaner to clean it off. It won't damage the electronics.

Back