Acer netbook won't boot from USB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, two questions actually.. Computer is a Acer Aspire One KAV60.

1. My netbook won't boot from USB, I have tried changing the boot order under setup, and the one time boot menu as well.. each time it goes to a black screen with a flashing line at the top left.. this will stay like this forever. Any ideas what is wrong?

2. How do you make a bootable Windows 7 USB drive? I've never installed Windows with a USB before so I don't know how to do it. I have done it with Linux many times, but it is different. (Right now I am testing the ability to boot/not boot from USB with a Linux USB drive.)

Thanks for your help on the above questions.. trying to get Windows 7 installed on my new SSD.
smile.gif

Right now I am just trying to boot my Linux Mint live USB.. because I don't know how to make a bootable Windows USB. It was made using Unetbootin.

thats not a good computer for win7 its old and slow slow slow.

linux or as much as I hate to say it windows xp are both ok for that platform.

Ok seems the files on my USB are corrupt, tried booting another computer and it's not working either.. So I am re making the USB and will see how that goes.

USB is an interface not a storage device. You should be specifying USB flashdrive, USB HDD, or USB CDROM when you say 'booting from USB'

This is important because I would have suggested a corrupt flash drive or CDROM.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
thats not a good computer for win7 its old and slow slow slow.

linux or as much as I hate to say it windows xp are both ok for that platform.

It's not slow, not the fastest, but not slow. Probably going to dual boot it with Windows and Linux though. It's been running Windows 7 fine with a regular HDD, I'm sure it will be even faster with the SSD.

Use the windows 7 media creation tool straight from Microsoft. It allows you to make a bootable USB or CD from an ISO.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
USB is an interface not a storage device. You should be specifying USB flashdrive, USB HDD, or USB CDROM when you say 'booting from USB'

This is important because I would have suggested a corrupt flash drive or CDROM.

I know, I did specify that is was a USB drive, just not right at the beginning:

Quote:
(Right now I am testing the ability to boot/not boot from USB with a Linux USB drive.)

Originally Posted By: redhat
Use the windows 7 media creation tool straight from Microsoft. It allows you to make a bootable USB or CD from an ISO.

Where would I find that? Is there a good place to download that?

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc

Where would I find that? Is there a good place to download that?

Thanks!

2nd. Let me know Clutch if you come across that. Maybe I can boot my computer that has the messed up Windows Vista with it. I think I'm having the same prob as you. It was booting perfectly with the Linux USB,and then suddenly it wouldn't work anymore.

Ok seems to be my USB drive.. tried a couple different Linux ISO files and none of them will boot on any of my computers.. time to try my other USB drive...

I believe its f12 to enter boot options that has to be previously set up to boot from usb, on an acer.

Sounds like you mentioned , that you already have the correct boot option.

Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc
Ok seems to be my USB drive.. tried a couple different Linux ISO files and none of them will boot on any of my computers.. time to try my other USB drive...

Is the drive formatted properly for linux (EXT3 or something similar)?

It was my USB drive I guess.. My other USB drive works. I reformatted the drive that isn't booting and I'm going to see if that makes a difference.

Edit: Even after reformatting it's not working.. Oh well, my other USB drive works well.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Yes that is the tools. Works great for windows 7 Isos.

Hey redhat,will this work to boot up a computer that has a dead Windows Vista operating system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back