ACDelco PF61 Verified E-Core

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe in a previous posting somewhere I contradicted a fellow BITOG member about whether or not a PF61 was an E-Core. I just purchased a few for my Malibu yesterday, and they are indeed E-Cores.

Just thought I would set the record straight.

No biggie. The E-core is a excellent filter.

I use them with NO WORRIES.
01.gif

Bill

Originally Posted By: PurplDodge
E-Core?

Yes, Ecore® (although, in YoungLubeman .it was pronounced EyeCore®)

oilfilters.gif

I've seen multiple different filters with the same AC-Delco part number on them, yet which were clearly sourced from different suppliers. Don't be surprised if some PF61s are Champ E-cores and some are an entirely different unit.

So can someone explain to me how the "Pat Pend Combination Relief and Anti-Drainback Valve" works with the "Duel-Flow Concave Baseplate". Ref exploded view posted above.

Isn't there some question if this is a reliable design or not?

On shutdown, it works like any other ADBV. When the pressure differential becomes too great, it is pushed up out of the way allowing oil to bypass into the outlet.

The Ecore has been around long enough that any real problems should have shown up.

Of course, so have Frams.

There are two series of holes on the baseplate. The outer ring is positioned over the exterior of the filter media. The inner holes are positioned over the interior of the media They're both exposed to the incoming oil flow, and therefore the pressure seen on the exterior of the media. If the PSID exceeds limits, the inner area of the combo valve gets depressed and vents excess flow to the interior of the media.

Low PSID, the ADBV area of the combo valve gets all the flow
Too high a PSID, the inner - bypass part of the combo valve allows flow to go that way.

Pretty trick in concept ..and hasn't shown to be a issue in terms of reliability. I wish that they had a silicon version.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
There are two series of holes on the baseplate. The outer ring is positioned over the exterior of the filter media. The inner holes are positioned over the interior of the media They're both exposed to the incoming oil flow, and therefore the pressure seen on the exterior of the media. If the PSID exceeds limits, the inner area of the combo valve gets depressed and vents excess flow to the interior of the media.

Low PSID, the ADBV area of the combo valve gets all the flow
Too high a PSID, the inner - bypass part of the combo valve allows flow to go that way.

Pretty trick in concept ..and hasn't shown to be a issue in terms of reliability. I wish that they had a silicon version.

Ah, I see exactly how it works now.

IIRC, the older PF61 had no ADBV. Do the newer E-Core PF61's have a ADBV? If so, that would make the newer E-Core PF61 an incarnation of the older discontinued PF59. The PF59 and 61 were virtually the same, except the PF61 without the ADBV.

Bowser.

Originally Posted By: Bowser
IIRC, the older PF61 had no ADBV. Do the newer E-Core PF61's have a ADBV? If so, that would make the newer E-Core PF61 an incarnation of the older discontinued PF59. The PF59 and 61 were virtually the same, except the PF61 without the ADBV.

Bowser.

Exactly correct!

If the newer 61's have an ADBV, then why aren't they listed as being PF-59s?

I have noticed in the past month, that most of the AC Delco's are
now the Ecore design.
Certain filters, like PF47, PF61 that were the "classic" style, have been switched over to Ecore.

Every PF61 I've purchased for my Malibu has had an anti-drainback valve. I suppose it is possible that they added it later on since this filter may have superceded the PF59. I'll have to grab my book.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back