Acdelco ADBV material

Since we're all obsessed and follow good automotive maintenance doesn't matter nitrile, aem or silicone will last longer than our sanity. 😏🙄
On the plus side, it does/did give a topic for discussion this subforum.

Also, the topic and distinction/difference of ACD AEM material must have been important enough to you, to start a thread about it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As for silicone adbv OFs, used many of them, some for extended 2 ocis. Most no ribs (not sure of significance to that) in 7317 application (Napa Gold/(Wix), Purolator/Bosch), never an issue. Napa Gold 1348 had back side ribs, but it's a larger filter. The filter manufacturers consistently use silicone adbvs on their extended oci OFs. One could infer from that, the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages, if any.

Although the above chart is not necessarily gospel, it does make points. For some reason people see fuel then jump to fuel dilution on AEM, even though AEM has high resistance to oil and fuel in oil is a small % ...
If you ever reads threads in the PCMO forum, you will see some vehicles that are DI have a pretty bad fuel dilution problem. Some dilute so much that the oil level raises as much as 1/2 qt or more in a 4-5 qt sump. It's a negative that was listed in the technical info, so worth pointing out. If you don't have an engine that fuel dilutes the oil much, then it's not a concern. As always, in the ADBV material race, silicone is still the best material regardless of the use conditions or filter use duration.

... but ignore low mech strength on silicone, good for static seals, not dynamic Chart says.
Maybe this is why we see Motorcraft engineers putting extra ribs on the silicone adbv? I think so. Good to learn things.
The type of "seal" they are talking about isn't how an ADBV seals. They are talking about things like bearing seals, etc where there is some mechanical rubbing/friction going on. Silicone is also used for gaskets/seals that do not move, like the intake manifold or throttle body gasket for example.

An ADBV does not rub on anything, all it does is flex back and forth and silicone is very good at flexing especially in very cold conditions. Many oil filter silicone ADBVs are very thin and don't have "ribs" on the backside.

The type of "seal" they are talking about isn't how an ADBV seals. They are talking about things like bearing seals, etc where there is some mechanical rubbing/friction going on. Silicone is also used for gaskets/seals that do not move, like the intake manifold or throttle body gasket for example.

An ADBV does not rub on anything, all it does is flex back and forth and silicone is very good at flexing especially in very cold conditions. Many oil filter silicone ADBVs are very thin and don't have "ribs" on the backside.
There is nothing you said I don’t already know. I stand by what I said, you agree or not. Maybe say“imo” once in awhile instead of making lectures.
If you ever reads threads in the PCMO forum, you will see some vehicles that are DI have a pretty bad fuel dilution problem. Some dilute so much that the oil level raises as much as 1/2 qt or more in a 4-5 qt sump. It's a negative that was listed in the technical info, so worth pointing out. If you don't have an engine that fuel dilutes the oil much, then it's not a concern. As always, in the ADBV material race, silicone is still the best material regardless of the use conditions or filter use duration.
There is nothing you said I don’t already know. I won’t be reading your answer, but all the blessings in the world if it makes you feel better you got the last word.

There is nothing you said I don’t already know. I stand by what I said, you agree or not. Maybe say“imo” once in awhile instead of making lectures.

There is nothing you said I don’t already know. I won’t be reading your answer, but all the blessings in the world if it makes you feel better you got the last word.
Just stating facts about fuel dilution, no IMO needed ... some engines are very bad diluters. If Mr. KnichKnack read other forums, he might know about that.

Last edited:
For some reason people see fuel then jump to fuel dilution on AEM, even though AEM has high resistance to oil and fuel in oil is a small %
Do you have the technical data that shows just how much fuel dilution and exposure time is required to effect AEM? Sounds like that is some kind of "fact" that you know, and not even an "IMO" in there. See how that works? 😄

Last edited:
Back