Acdelco ADBV material

How do you know this?
Screenshot_20220603-093635_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Call me a skeptic, but sounds/reads like marketing. I have seen that info description on ACD OFs before. So, is it supposed to better than nitrile, last longer, stay pliable longer? How would it compare to silicone? I 'suspect' it still wouldn't stay pliable as long as silicone.

For kicks and giggles, I would like to see the burn test done on one of these ACD "AEM" material adbvs.

Last edited:
Good link, observant. Tight seals are vital to keep the oil from draining down from the engine and having noisy starts.

That burn test makes me laugh 🤣

You got serious problems if your engine and oil can ignite nitrile rubber. You best dial 911 and have a fire engine dispatched to your location asap.

You got serious problems if your engine and oil can ignite nitrile rubber. You best dial 911 and have a fire engine dispatched to your location asap.
I can see why it makes you laugh because your comment makes it clear you don't understand the purpose of the test.

Fyi, zero to do with engine oil igniting a nitrile adbv. :LOL: Thanks for trying though.

Last edited:

This comment makes me laugh 🤣

You and hrv would get along great in that thread.

A backyard mechanic burning ADBV’s is definitely more entertaining then watching paint dry. What else am I supposed to get from it. That silicone remains more pliable has a higher flash point.

Comparison between Nitrile, AEM and Silicone.
Source: https://www.allsealsinc.com/Material-Selecting-Rubber-Compounds.html

In terms of hot and cold temperature properties, the best to worse are: Silicone > AEM > Nitrile.

Note that for AEM has a comment:
" not recommended for exposure to fuel, brake fluid, aromatic hydrocarbons or phosphate esters. "

In a bad fuel diluting engine, this may or maynot be a concern depending on the level of fuel dilution and OCI (exposure time to fuel).

1654285821754.png

1654285871096.png

1654285913579.png

Last edited:
Comparison between Nitrile, AEM and Silicone.
Source: https://www.allsealsinc.com/Material-Selecting-Rubber-Compounds.html

In terms of hot and cold temperature properties, the best to worse are: Silicone > AEM > Nitrile.

Note that for AEM has a comment:
" not recommended for exposure to fuel, brake fluid, aromatic hydrocarbons or phosphate esters. "

In a bad fuel diluting engine, this may or maynot be a concern depending on the level of fuel dilution and OCI (exposure time to fuel).

View attachment 102494

View attachment 102495

View attachment 102496
Thanks for the science lesson :)

So in summary, for adbvs, topic AEM better than nitrile (though 'perhaps' not with some level of fuel dilution) but not as good as silicone. The last having the greatest temperature range capability.

Nitrile still ok ~5k mi. oci.

As an aside, I appreciate the citing of the source material. (y)

So in summary, for adbvs, topic AEM better than nitrile (though 'perhaps' not with some level of fuel dilution) but not as good as silicone. The last having the greatest temperature range capability.

Nitrile still ok ~5k mi. oci.

As an aside, I appreciate the citing of the source material. (y)
Since we're all obsessed and follow good automotive maintenance doesn't matter nitrile, aem or silicone will last longer than our sanity. 😏🙄

Although the above chart is not necessarily gospel, it does make points. For some reason people see fuel then jump to fuel dilution on AEM, even though AEM has high resistance to oil and fuel in oil is a small %, but ignore low mech strength on silicone, good for static seals, not dynamic Chart says.
Maybe this is why we see Motorcraft engineers putting extra ribs on the silicone adbv? I think so. Good to learn things.

Back