Accords MPG on recent trip...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey fellow BITOGER's, just wanted to share a little something with you. Five of our family members, including myself, went on a 3 day trip over this labor day weekend. Drove around 950 miles or so round trip. We have always used the Uplander in my sig for vacay's but its been having some ABS issues so for safety reasons we took the Accord in my sig. We had it pretty packed out with 2 adults and 3 teens, as well as our luggage in the trunk. Had the AC on almost the entire trip as well. The government rates the fuel economy at 21 city / 31 highway (its the 2.4 5 speed auto). I am guessing that was tested with 1 person, but on the way up it returned 36 MPG, and that was in between 70-80 MPH with 5 people, luggage, and AC running. I have to say I am impressed and just wanted to share. While on vacation we did plenty of city driving with everyone, driving up and down plenty of hills and keeping the pedal down a little further than usual, and she still returned 26 MPG. I just filled up after the 8 hour drive home and it returned 36.82 mpg! I know, I know, these numbers aren't the "Best" when comparing to today's more fuel efficient vehicles, but for a 2006 Accord with 124K on it, I am pretty happy, and felt like sharing with you guys.

EDIT: I hit 123456 on the way up
wink.gif

hpho...amp;oe=547A166C

Last edited:
We've never had a Honda that didn't surprise and impress with its trip fuel economy.
Glad you're seeing the same.

That's really good. I had an Impala 3.4 that would get 34 consistently on a trip, but my Challenger only gets 28 or so if I'm babying it. Averages 25 with midgrade 89. I did get 30 once, but that was one time only.

My Accord gets 29-32 mpg's on the highway per tank. I drive 80MPH 90% of the time. That's decent.

Originally Posted By: TomYoung
That engine is superb. It is on its way out and I wonder ith Earthdreams will do as well.

Whats on its way out?

Earth Dreams is basically the next generation of that same K-series in his Accord. Has DI and likely a bunch of other fancy stuff to get better MPG's.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Earth Dreams is basically the next generation of that same K-series in his Accord. Has DI and likely a bunch of other fancy stuff to get better MPG's.

Right, basically the K24 with extra goodies.

I drive 230 miles round trip to work every day, get most times 32-34 mpg the other day I got 36.8 using Shell gas most of the time. Have 214k on the 2007, 2.4 auto. Love it.

I have a family member with a '13 accord. Its on board read out has claimed over 40mpg average for some highway tanks. Its overall average is 36-37. That 2.4 Earth Dreams paired to the CVT provides remarkable fuel economy. Love that Honda.

With my old 97 Camry this summer I took it up to Montana, was an automatic with almost 200k and at 80 mph with cruise on basically 100% of the time in quite a few mountains! I let it rev too, it still got 33 mpg on average.

The Beetle gets about 37 mpg at 80 in the hills, but goes up when not beat on.

man, my mothers 06 camry does 33-34 mpg consistently on long trips and its at the state of burning oil, I can't wait till I get an opportunity to rebuild it and see if I can bring it up to the 36-38mpg range

Funny you bring up this engine: my 2005 version has been getting 27mpg in my CR-V over the past week or so, which is up 2-3mpg vs. normal. Wonder if the weather or a decrease in ethanol recently has helped.

Nice work. I took a 24 hour round trip (driving time) in our CR-V about this time last year, from North Carolina to Arkansas and back, and averaged 28 mpg. That was driving 65-80 mph on I-40 for pretty much all of the way (mostly between 75 and 80, through most of Tennessee). 26 mpg is its official EPA highway estimate, with the 2008+ testing regime. That K24 is one heck of a good engine.

(Though I also like the J35 in our MDX, it's not nearly as thrifty, even relative to its EPA estimate; we average the 'new' 2008+ estimates with it, which is about 21 mpg bombing down the interstate at 75 mph.)

Impressively, my parents' 2014 MDX, with the direct-injected J35, will match our CR-V in fuel economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back