Accord Trans Case crack (bad casting?)

Originally Posted by redhat
Yes, transmission and engine are made in the US. Not sure about casting versus final assembly point, but door sticker says US.

Your transmission was machined, assembled, etc in a small town NW of Columbus OH (Russels Point). I know some people that work there.... I'm not sure if they pour the castings there though but I'm 99% certain they are poured in the US, not China.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
Crappy Japanese cars. Buy a German car in the future.

I wish they were still Japanese cars.

I took it to the dealer 2-3 months back and they found the oil pan was leaking. They re-sealed the pan and sent me on my way. A day later, when merging on traffic, I put the pedal down and one of the intercooler pipes popped off. I took it back and they fixed it. To this date, the car has been fine.

But... when I was under it a month ago changing the oil, it is still leaking. This time, more oil. I do not like this. I will keep going back and if I have to, I'd even consider Lemon Law. I don't know, would Lemon Law even apply to this? Would they even care about this? I do... you spend this much money on a car and it leaks oil. My 2009 never had ANY drop of fluid leaking from anything until 140k and my abuse.

I took it to the dealer 2-3 months back and they found the oil pan was leaking. They re-sealed the pan and sent me on my way. A day later, when merging on traffic, I put the pedal down and one of the intercooler pipes popped off. I took it back and they fixed it. To this date, the car has been fine.

But... when I was under it a month ago changing the oil, it is still leaking. This time, more oil. I do not like this. I will keep going back and if I have to, I'd even consider Lemon Law. I don't know, would Lemon Law even apply to this? Would they even care about this? I do... you spend this much money on a car and it leaks oil. My 2009 never had ANY drop of fluid leaking from anything until 140k and my abuse.
Sounds like a dealer workmanship issue?

Was the trans replaced for the casting issue?

The casting looks fine to me too. If this were a crack and as big as pictured, there would be a major leak, not a slight seep.
Keep going back top the dealer until they fix the leak.

I don't know how big of a job this is, but personally I would do it myself to avoid dealer screw ups, as already described by OP.

Sounds like a dealer workmanship issue?

Was the trans replaced for the casting issue?

I have no record of the trans being replaced on any repair order. However, when under there last, the casting looks different from my pictures. I guess to really determine that I should compare the VIN on my trans with what images I have.

The casting looks fine to me too. If this were a crack and as big as pictured, there would be a major leak, not a slight seep.
Keep going back top the dealer until they fix the leak.

I don't know how big of a job this is, but personally I would do it myself to avoid dealer screw ups, as already described by OP.
I definitely will keep bringing it to an area Honda dealer until it is fixed. Just doesn't seem right a brand new car leaving spots in my driveway.

I was under the new Accord today. Not too impressed with the casting on the transmission case. Looks to me as if this crack in the case is also causing the slight fluid weep.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

DANG! Did they use iron from the TITANIC wreck? :eek:

Got the car back yesterday (Saturday). Allegedly the timing inspection cover was leaking. So that was removed and re-sealed with Hondabond then re-installed.

...we'll see how it looks under there soon. I don't have a lot of faith. I never saw anything wet remotely anywhere near the timing inspection cover (it is hard to miss on a K-series) -- let alone the timing cover at all. Any oil seep/wetness was where the engine block/pan met the trans. case.

Who knows.

Maybe rear main seal? Trans pump front seal?

Also, it got the BCM-recall performed. Now the touch panel screen freezes. The wireless charger (FINALLY) works -- it hasn't worked since new. They also installed a new milliwave radar unit on the front as mine was missing the trim ring/bezel. They suspected I hit something, but upon their further inspection; realized I was indeed correct and a defect was the cause of the trim separation.

At this point my '19 Po-dunk, domestic, unaligned panel gap F150, eventual water pump leak 3.5 Duratec (Cyclone) '17 Taurus, and spartan '09 Accord all are shaping up to be vehicle MVPs over the dealer trips this this has had. Sheesh, and to think I baby this thing.

Looks like a Cadillac Northstar casting. Keep taking it back to the dealer and demand a loner. I let them keep my wife’s Nissan for over a month for an oil leak got a free loner car the whole time. The fixed it finally and a bunch of other stuff just to be safe I guess.

redhat,

Is your Accord a 2020 model with the 1.5 liter/CVT?
Correct it is a 2.0L turbo, the turbo K20C4 paired to the 10-speed automatic. My Accord is the Touring trim.

I must have been tired and not looked at your sig. Anyway, I have a '20 Accord with the 1.5/CVT, while obviously different then yours I'll take a look at my CVT case.

Back