Accord Trans Case crack (bad casting?)

Originally Posted by Barkleymut
Originally Posted by Imp4
It's a cold shut from the casting process and it's no big deal.

Now let the cowboys come in and cast their aspersions as they see fit.

it is a 2020 vehicle that is leaking fluid, yeah no big deal

He is referring to the casting irregularities, not the leak. I would still bring it to the dealer, absolutely.

I agree that it looks like a bad cold shut... to the point that it is now a big deal, especially if you're sure it's leaking from there. The one in the corner pocket looks particularly bad. Good pictures.

Originally Posted by ammolab
Is that Motor oil? Not sure it is Red enough to be ATF.

It is, but I have noticed the same on many new Honda's. If you only see a drip or two on the case and none on the splashguard I would clean it up and monitor - the dealer will probably do the same.

I wonder if this is a "Honda thing"? Mine seems to seep atf AND oil from somewhere. My car's oil pan and transmission case look exactly like yours. Was the 7th gen Accord the last of the good ones?

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I wonder if this is a "Honda thing"? Mine seems to seep atf AND oil from somewhere. My car's oil pan and transmission case look exactly like yours. Was the 7th gen Accord the last of the good ones?

Yours is leaking oil from the gasket for the oil filter mount.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm

Yours is leaking oil from the gasket for the oil filter mount.

Which seems so far high mileage oil has stopped or slowed down the leak. Transmission I have no idea where it is seeping from, which is a very minute amount. Very disappointing as I've never owned a leaker before.

I have an appointment at my Honda dealer this Monday to take a look at the situation. Primarily where is the leak coming from and secondary my question will be -- what is y'all's thoughts on this casting/crack.

IDK, I know a few of you have said it looks normal, but I've never seen anything like that in 25+ years of being under cars.

I'll even go as far as saying that our Domestic, UAW, outdated as can be Ford (Taurus) had transmission, block and other metal work/castings that would make this ashamed.

If you look very very closely at the cracks in the casing you see oil in the cracks near that bolted on piece. It's hard to tell if it is weeping at those cracks and collecting at where that piece is bolted on, or if it is leaking at the bolted piece and the oil leak is simply following the cracks. In either case, if this were my car I'd bring it to the dealer. Make sure you get a service receipt from the dealer stating your concerns and what the planned remedy is to start a paper trail just in case.

In the first picture at the top of the picture just below the bolt - is that oil weeping from the case? Hard to tell.

Last edited:
Good comments on starting that paper trail in case they say it's fine but propagates later …

I'll post up the results as soon as I get home from the dealer. I'll be leaving in about 20 minutes to go in.

Went to the dealer yesterday, they took the car in and looked it over. I was there about two hours.

They weren't too happy with the crack and the leak. They sent me home with a courtesy vehicle, a 2019 Accord LX. They are seeking Honda approval and having a district rep take a look as well. I am not sure how this will go yet, but it seems like they're taking it very seriously.

They also seemed to be like tip toeing around me. Just seemed strange.

Looks like a low quality china part... The behavior at the dealership makes you wonder if there's lots of these poor castings around and Honda hasn't quite decided what they are going to do about it?

Originally Posted by IndyIan
Looks like a low quality china part... The behavior at the dealership makes you wonder if there's lots of these poor castings around and Honda hasn't quite decided what they are going to do about it?

I would guess that is an American plant casting.

Yes, transmission and engine are made in the US. Not sure about casting versus final assembly point, but door sticker says US.

My guess on the service people "tip toeing" on the subject is that since it's now up to Honda customer service in how to handle the situation, they don't want to make any promises they cannot keep. I would be confident that they will take care of it.

Would be nice if you could rack up some miles on it before they replace it. For R&D!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by redhat
Went to the dealer yesterday, they took the car in and looked it over. I was there about two hours.

They weren't too happy with the crack and the leak. They sent me home with a courtesy vehicle, a 2019 Accord LX. They are seeking Honda approval and having a district rep take a look as well. I am not sure how this will go yet, but it seems like they're taking it very seriously.

They also seemed to be like tip toeing around me. Just seemed strange.

They probably sent photos to the Tech Line and are awaiting a decision. Tech Line may either advise that the condition is normal or the transmission warrants replacement.

The oil seep looks normal to me though. Lots of new Honda's have some amount of oilyness where the engine and trans meet. The 2019 CR-V that I did a 2k oil change on last week showed the same amount of oil; I just wiped it off.

Back