Accord totaled, need a 'new' car

My 2006 Accord EX-L, unusual model with most of the good features and a manual, was totaled in an accident yesterday. Had 225k miles and ran great, supremely reliable. Dude in the red car pulled out in front of me, I had somewhere between 0 and 1 second to react and plowed into him at about 40 mph. Police deemed him responsible so hopefully the insurance process will be smooth. Two of my kids were in the car, everybody is a bit banged up and scraped but mostly OK.

So on to the topic, need a new car. My 12 year old daughter remarked as we're sitting there on the side of road "how are you going to get another car with a stick shift?". How indeed. If I had the resources at the moment I'd get an Integra Type S, but alas need to keep the price to around $20k. The ideal used car would be one of the recent Accord Sports with the 2.0T and stick but those seem to be unicorns.

Criteria is a sedan/wagon/hatch with a reasonably powerful engine, stick, sporty-ish, good feature set, $20k-ish or less, <100k miles, 8 years old or less. Quick Autotrader search suggests the following makes/models could be options:
Audi A4/A5 (not too many of these but they exist)
Mazda 3 (Grand Touring spec)
Genesis G70 (had one of these pop up, price a bit of a stretch but doable)
VW GTI (would want the SE or Autobahn) or a Jetta GLI
Civic Si (the prices on these seem to be ridiculous)
Focus ST
Elantra N Line (styling on this one is a bit much but I might be able to live with it)

Not really interested in a WRX though it would check most of the boxes. Just don't see myself as a WRX guy lol.

Would appreciate any insight on the above models or suggestions for things I've left out. Thanks!

jeff

IMG_2572.jpg

Sorry for your loss.

Regarding a replacement, finding a manual transmission is going to be a challenge. From Honda to VW/Audi sounds like a big reliability downgrade.

Good luck in your search.
Thanks. Indeed the GTI/GLI seem to be the most common cars showing up with these criteria so curious for feedback on just how much of a downgrade I'm looking at there...

They did make Camrys with stick shifts until around 2011, but only the boring 4 cyl models. Could also look into how late Fusions were made with three pedals.

Head up to the Baltimore Manheim auction Tuesday. Don't remember which of the lanes are open to the public, but these, except for the last two which are more than you want to pay, look like possible candidates.

2017 GTI.jpg

2019 Accord.jpg

2021 Jetta.jpg

2023 Civic.jpg

2024 Integra.jpg

I have a 2007 Accord EX-L 4Dr sedan V6 6MT. Also in silver. I have something like 180,000 km (110,000 miles) on mine. So they are out there. Why not look for an actual replacement (a west coast or southern car).

The 2Dr V6 6MT coupes are similar and more common.

I liked the recent Accord Sport 6MT 4Dr sedans. Test drove a 2.0. Would prefer a 2.0 over the 1.5.

I have a 2007 Accord EX-L 4Dr sedan V6 6MT. Also in silver. I have something like 180,000 km (110,000 miles) on mine. So they are out there. Why not look for an actual replacement (a west coast or southern car).

The 2Dr V6 6MT coupes are similar and more common.

I liked the recent Accord Sport 6MT 4Dr sedans. Test drove a 2.0. Would prefer a 2.0 over the 1.5.
So how are these older Transverse V6's Accords to work on?

So how are these older Transverse V6's Accords to work on?
The rear bank is kind of tight but those engines don't require work very often. The air filter, oil filter, etc are very accessible. Their biggest issue is the timing belt which costs (about) $800 to have replaced.

Someone recently drove a 2006 or 2007 Accord V6 6MT 2 Dr Coupe to a million miles. So that engine will go a long way. He drove the last 50,000 miles with a leaking exhaust valve (valve lash was too tight). I'll have my valve lash adjusted before 500,000 miles.

My 2006 Accord EX-L, unusual model with most of the good features and a manual, was totaled in an accident yesterday. Had 225k miles and ran great, supremely reliable. Dude in the red car pulled out in front of me, I had somewhere between 0 and 1 second to react and plowed into him at about 40 mph. Police deemed him responsible so hopefully the insurance process will be smooth. Two of my kids were in the car, everybody is a bit banged up and scraped but mostly OK.

So on to the topic, need a new car. My 12 year old daughter remarked as we're sitting there on the side of road "how are you going to get another car with a stick shift?". How indeed. If I had the resources at the moment I'd get an Integra Type S, but alas need to keep the price to around $20k. The ideal used car would be one of the recent Accord Sports with the 2.0T and stick but those seem to be unicorns.

Criteria is a sedan/wagon/hatch with a reasonably powerful engine, stick, sporty-ish, good feature set, $20k-ish or less, <100k miles, 8 years old or less. Quick Autotrader search suggests the following makes/models could be options:
Audi A4/A5 (not too many of these but they exist)
Mazda 3 (Grand Touring spec)
Genesis G70 (had one of these pop up, price a bit of a stretch but doable)
VW GTI (would want the SE or Autobahn) or a Jetta GLI
Civic Si (the prices on these seem to be ridiculous)
Focus ST
Elantra N Line (styling on this one is a bit much but I might be able to live with it)

Not really interested in a WRX though it would check most of the boxes. Just don't see myself as a WRX guy lol.

Would appreciate any insight on the above models or suggestions for things I've left out. Thanks!

jeff

View attachment 219061
What about the Nissan Sentra se-r? They were manual transmission available or still until this year. The versa is a manual option but only on the base model. The Subaru crosstrek had a manual transmission until 2023 in the usa. Subaru claimed a 5% take rate hence why they dropped it. Hyundai Elantra N line had a good write up on thedrive recently and it was good things. The Mazda 3 is a manual only on the hatchback not sure why as Canada can get a manual transmission on the sedan. Good luck. Glad your family is ok.

Don't forget about the Jetta GLI. VW in Boulder Colorado had one in grey and red, manual transmission. Not sure if they still do. Would you be up for purchasing out of state then having it shipped or driven back?

Really glad you and kids are going to be okay, a 40 mph hit is no joke.

No help with a model but you could make a list of wants and must have features and prioritize them. Some things are absolutes, some are wants but could live without. It looks like you're willing to go smaller to get the hot rod you want, will that work as the kids get bigger?

Glad you are all ok.

Getting hard to find stick. Good luck looking!

I spotted an Elantra Touring locally but I don't think it's all that sporty and it's on the old side--but it is stick and wagon. [I've been tempted to look but it's black, sunroof and alloys with low profile tires.]

Machines are replaceable, people are not. Glad everyone is OK.

Mazda and Honda get my vote.
As far as Hyundai and Kia, be afraid, be very afraid, they replace a LOT of engines, some under warranty, some not so much.....YMMV. Subaru is OK until you need engine work which requires the engine to be removed. Long-term reliability is in the Honda/Mazda group, especially in the 2010-2018 used market with manual transmission. Glad you and your kids are OK.

Glad you all came out of it alright!

Out of that list I vote GTI. I had a 2017 S 6 speed manual and it was a fun little car, and returned excellent fuel economy! I'd still have it, but I needed a 4WD truck and needed the driveway room.

As far as Hyundai and Kia, be afraid, be very afraid, they replace a LOT of engines, some under warranty, some not so much.....YMMV. Subaru is OK until you need engine work which requires the engine to be removed. Long-term reliability is in the Honda/Mazda group, especially in the 2010-2018 used market with manual transmission. Glad you and your kids are OK.
Yep
And VWs have solid engines and transmissions as long as you keep up on maintenance and don't ignore funny noises or something like a hard hot start

To be fair I don't know a ton about the gasoline VWs but if I had to buy a car right now I would be looking for a vw or bmw wagon with a diesel (and a stick but bmw didn't give us manual diesel cars here)

Back