Accord timing belt

Some Odyssey owners have criticisms of the aftermarket Aisin pump quality, and blame it for timing belt noise after installation.

When I did my 2005 (or was it 2006?), the old pump was Yamata IIRC, and it just seemed a little better built. Was also in great shape at 200k miles. I don't read a lot of water pump problems on the Odyssey forums. The tensioner really seems like the weak spot in that timing system.

The tensioner bolt for the accessory belt is also a danger spot, not sure if the problem is an underdesigned bolt or it gets damaged by poor mechanics.

The parts are a lot more than $200 if you are using Genuine Honda Parts and not the aftermarket stuff. Even my wholesale cost for Genuine Honda parts is over $500 including tax.

View attachment 89111

$1600 is about right for this job at market rates.
Looking at "your" price for the timing belt ($85) is easily beat at numerous dealers. For example, I just bought OE from a Honda dealer for $42.

Seeing the parts are only $200, and if I never done one before, I'd take a class, get a repair manual, or watch a ton of youtube videos and replace it myself.
this. & rotate the crankshaft & witness the timing marks re-align.
That's important. (marks returning @ 720 degrees rotation)
As far as the belt goes, check an ozone chart, ozone varies throughout the U.S.A.
(Ozone attacks the rubber)
& Honda is overcharging you to the tune of 50% minimum. Just so you know.

Looking at "your" price for the timing belt ($85) is easily beat at numerous dealers. For example, I just bought OE from a Honda dealer for $42.
Are you sure about that? There seem to be a plethora of fake Honda timing belts floating around ebay and Amazon. Even ericthecarguy got burned. Unless you received an actual invoice from a Honda dealer I wouldn't trust it.

Are you sure about that? There seem to be a plethora of fake Honda timing belts floating around ebay and Amazon. Even ericthecarguy got burned. Unless you received an actual invoice from a Honda dealer I wouldn't trust it.
My mistake. I was thinking of the serpentine belt that I did buy from a Honda dealer with an official invoice. LOL

My mistake. I was thinking of the serpentine belt that I did buy from a Honda dealer with an official invoice. LOL
Ahh, that makes more sense. $42 sounds about right for a serpentine belt.

Timing Belt Pkg is about 4 hours labor in the low $200/hr range around here, unless the dealer charges menu pricing for them. I would expect the parts to be charged at 100-150% of msrp, so $1600 is about right for the timing belt pkg.

Some Odyssey owners have criticisms of the aftermarket Aisin pump quality, and blame it for timing belt noise after installation.

When I did my 2005 (or was it 2006?), the old pump was Yamata IIRC, and it just seemed a little better built. Was also in great shape at 200k miles. I don't read a lot of water pump problems on the Odyssey forums. The tensioner really seems like the weak spot in that timing system.

The tensioner bolt for the accessory belt is also a danger spot, not sure if the problem is an underdesigned bolt or it gets damaged by poor mechanics.
IME it is 50/50 chance of the "warbling noise" when using an Aisin pump. It doesn't seem to cause a reliability issue and most people don't hear it; you kinda have to listen for it. But it is there.

The tensioner bolt is mostly an issue when people do not prime the tensioners.

I have yet to find a timing belt replacement interval for the Legend in either the owner's or FSM. Doesn't mean that one doesn't exist in the common sense manual.

FWIW, the original belt was replaced when it accumulated 136,882 mi. The replacement was replaced when it had accumulated 129,478 mi. This replacement now has 179,647 mi.

Timing belt torture test by living dangerously. Yes, it's an interference engine. 😬

I've had a belt kit sitting on the shelf for a while; this is a project for this spring along with a long list of other work - oil filter adapter "figure 8" o-ring, camshaft seals and bearing cap re-seal, new oil pan (stripped drain plug), clutch master and slave cylinder, rear window regulator.

I drove my Daytona until the belt broke around 150k miles. Non-interferance engine. Didn't cost much to replace.
If it's a non-interference engine, do automakers advise or recommend replacement on any schedule ? Kinda like a serpentine belt - with the cars we have, the maintenance schedule just says to check it every so many miles.

thanks guys! i set up to change the timing belt tomorrow. I am asking them to save the old one for me to see!

I think it makes sense if we keep the car 3-5 more years. no rust, I have done all maintenance.

best

bob

I am asking them to save the old one for me to see!
What for ? Typically the belts don't look bad but they can still fail and it's better safe than sorry with these engines. Or as others have mentioned, the belt tensioner can fail, probably more common than the belt breaking, and the damage in the end is the same.

My son has the same car as you and I'm positive that the owner's manual says 105k or 7 years. You're at 8-9 years so it's a legitimate maintenance repair.

good morning all, and THANKS for the info on RDX rear diff. fluid.

today my 2012 Honda Accord V6 is at the dealer. He called said I need rear brakes, which I believe.
He suggested a new timing belt. total mileage might be around 55,000. I am original owner.

the timing belt, including water pump, etc is around $1600.

He said I am below the 100,000 miles, but they recommend every 7 years, I am at 10 years

today's dumb question

DO I NEED A TIMING BELT? I might keep this car a few more years. This car has had really good maintenance and records since day 1.

thanks!

Bob
Change it......the tensioner will go well before the belt.
You are on borrowed time with that one.

thanks guys! i set up to change the timing belt tomorrow. I am asking them to save the old one for me to see!

I think it makes sense if we keep the car 3-5 more years. no rust, I have done all maintenance.

best

bob
The belt will look pristine. It's the tensioner and idler pully that will take your engine out.

If it's a non-interference engine, do automakers advise or recommend replacement on any schedule ? Kinda like a serpentine belt - with the cars we have, the maintenance schedule just says to check it every so many miles.
On my Ranger, the manual calls for the cam belt to be "inspected" at 120,000 miles.

I think it should probably be replaced at 120k miles... Even if it won't destroy the engine, I don't want my car to strand me.

THANKS! car is at Honda dealer for timing belt and all tensioners and pulleys and water pump.

i believe you guys, I am doing the right thing!

best,
bob

Back