Accord oil specs,US vs Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: andrewp1998
I use about 1 qrt every 3k or less, give or take some so looking for something to reduce consumption.

Originally Posted By: gambit023
Can you guys recommend me a full synthetic oil for a 2009 Jeep 5.7 Hemi engine? It consumes about a quart every 5k miles.

I've always used Royal Purple 5w20,

Originally Posted By: Mathew_Boss
(Jeep 5.7 Hemi).......Mine is burning almost 2 quarts every 500 miles with 109k miles on the clock. I just tried Pennzoil Platinum High Milage that made my problem worse.

Originally Posted By: andrewp1998
I use about 1 qrt every 3k or less, give or take some so looking for something to reduce consumption.

Originally Posted By: gambit023
Can you guys recommend me a full synthetic oil for a 2009 Jeep 5.7 Hemi engine? It consumes about a quart every 5k miles.

I've always used Royal Purple 5w20,

Originally Posted By: Mathew_Boss
(Jeep 5.7 Hemi).......Mine is burning almost 2 quarts every 500 miles with 109k miles on the clock. I just tried Pennzoil Platinum High Milage that made my problem worse.

Originally Posted By: Roanoke6370
07 Cobalt using one quart of oil less than 1000 miles. Valvoline HM red bottle in now with no change in oil usage. No drips and no blue smoke.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: Linctex
I think it's driven by CAFE standards more than anything else.

I have never noticed a significant fuel economy change with engine oil viscosity.

That's always been my thought as well,especially with all these car companies pushing the limits with thinner and thinner oil specs every year. I think I read here that full sized GM trucks are now spec'd for 0W20? I couldn't imagine an oil that thin in a full sized V8 tuck.

Ford's been doing it for years in the form of 5W-20, so what's your point? It's only the 5.3 Vortec and the 6.2 used in the higher trim models of the Silverado/Suburban/Sierra/Yukon, not the 2500 and heavier trucks. They also bumped sump capacity to 8 quarts on those particular engines, as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jongies3

I have never noticed a significant fuel economy change with engine oil viscosity.

That's always been my thought as well,especially with all these car companies pushing the limits with thinner and thinner oil specs every year. I think I read here that full sized GM trucks are now spec'd for 0W20? I couldn't imagine an oil that thin in a full sized V8 tuck.

Ford's been doing it for years in the form of 5W-20, so what's your point? It's only the 5.3 Vortec and the 6.2 used in the higher trim models of the Silverado/Suburban/Sierra/Yukon, not the 2500 and heavier trucks. They also bumped sump capacity to 8 quarts on those particular engines, as well.

So what would happen if you took a 70s- early 80s era V8 Suburban and ran 0W20 in it?

This was a GREAT thread, it shows what fools we can be in America for running stupid thin oils, no reason to run a 20 ok, maybe it wouldnt hurt in blow zero F temperatures. Will it harm? Maybe not but it wont help! The benefits will be greater for some using 30 or above.
Less oil burning, more quiet engine for sure.

Last edited:
Only one way to find out.
I'd wager that there wouldn't be any problems in vehicles not towing a boat the size of Delaware or a travel trailer the size of Rhode Island.
Fuel economy might increase 1% over the recommended 10W-30.

Originally Posted By: jongies3

So what would happen if you took a 70s- early 80s era V8 Suburban and ran 0W20 in it?

I ran my 78 Dodge 1/2 ton truck on M1 5-20 in 1978.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
This was a GREAT thread, it shows what fools we can be in America for running stupid thin oils, no reason to run a 20 ok, maybe it wouldnt hurt in blow zero F temperatures. Will it harm? Maybe not but it wont help! The benefits will be greater for some using 30 or above.
Less oil burning, more quiet engine for sure.

I don't consider myself a fool for using M1 0-20. I have used it in my Ford engines for up to 400K now with "Tom Terrific" results.

Yeah, but as has been covered before, the early M1 formulation had considerably higher HTHS than does the current 0W-20.
You already know that KV is not the only important measure of viscosity.
Anyway, 0W-20 has clearly worked very well in your old Fusion as well as your Focus and there is no gainsaying that.

U.S. CAFE Requires car makers to recommend in the owner's manual the oil they used in Café testing. I run a thicker 0w-20 (Castrol edge) in my 14 Accord.

If I reflashed my ECM to the Australian ECM and had Australian gasoline, I would feel fine with running the Australian spec oil.

This statement is most applicable for European vehicles, as they definitely run better fuel and lean burn profiles, but it ahould make the point. When in Rome, follow the Roman owners manual for your chariot.

The Best one is people saying it doesn't get Hot in the United States like Australia or that they have more dust.
Australia temperature averages are the same as Florida and Los Angeles and cooler than Texas and Arizona. It's simply CAFE and this should easily dispell everything that the owners manual says is How it Must be Done- period.

You didn't find any humor in the Rome quote?

I am not necessarily a rabid owners manual type, but think it is very bad form to advise someone who wants others to tell them what to do otherwise...if they want to research and do a thorough risk assessment of the actions available to them and then go against the manual, they will have gone in with open eyes. I personally would not run the oil specced for my car in Europe here in TX. I would have to research the differences between AUS and here to decide on those oils.

On the whole, I don't think people take ECMs into much account here on BITOG when making decisions..

Assuming that CAFE is the only factor in a given specification change is dangerous.

Originally Posted By: Coprolite
If I reflashed my ECM to the Australian ECM

When they release a new imported model in Australia, they often go to great lengths to stress how the new car has been adapted to Australia. It's common to hear about suspension changes, but I have never read about a ECM remap especially for Australia. We are not that different here.

When GM Australia (Holden) started importing the Chevy Malibu, they mentioned the suspension, but no engine changes
Quote:
the Holden Malibu rides and handles like an Australian car thanks to engineering input from Holden vehicle dynamics engineers based at the Lang Lang proving ground south west of Melbourne.

It's a nice idea (ECM oz-flash), but it doesn't match my experience.
When I looked at the Chevy Cruze (Holden Cruze here) when it was first imported into Australia, it had the exact same Power and Torque output in Australia as it did in North America.

As for fuel, we have similar octane fuel to what is available in North America, which goes with our similar engine power outputs.
91 RON = 87 AKI
95 RON = 91 AKI
98 RON = 94 AKI

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
The Best one is people saying it doesn't get Hot in the United States like Australia or that they have more dust

Definitely more dust. The first swig of Carlton is to rinse out your mouth of that reddish layer unless you prefer grit.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
The first swig of Carlton is to rinse out your mouth of that reddish layer

Ain't that the truth.....

Originally Posted By: FZ1
U.S. CAFE Requires car makers to recommend in the owner's manual the oil they used in Café testing. I run a thicker 0w-20 (Castrol edge) in my 14 Accord.

thumbsup2.gif
If I ever own a car that requires/recommends 0W-20 oil only, I will run a thicker 0W-20 like Castrol Magnatec, Edge, or Edge EP, while under warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back