Accord maintenance day!

It was a rainy day but a bit cooler than the past few weeks so I went ahead and got caught up on some preventative maintenance on the 2012 Accord. The current milage is 71,117 mi. Oil used for change was Mobil 1 EP 0w20 with a Honda OEM filter, transmission fluid was changed with OE Honda DW-1, power steering fluid was changed with OEM Honda fluid, and the cabin air filter was changed with a Fra...kidding, OEM filter for that also. I noticed a bit of a coolant smell after a short drive and popped the hood and it appears a few drops may have came out of the rad cap, I'll check again later and replace if necessary. I change the transmission fluid often on it but always observe a noticeable improvement in shift qualify following a drain and fill. I finished up with a quick wash. She still drives like a new one!
406ED34F-5E5D-4A11-BA4A-9783BF67DC25.jpeg
98AD44DC-BD28-4111-A39E-7ED3912F8BFB.jpeg
9A934360-5070-4535-8AE2-5BB5B6381E20.jpeg
371E30BA-D9E7-44E0-B0AC-1179E2204167.jpeg

Last edited:
How many miles were on the current fills?
I’d have to check records, about 2 years on ATF and about a year on oil. I only put 3200 or so miles on the oil and probably double that on the ATF. I generally stick to an ATF change every other OCI.

Ha, you got me looking closely as I care for a 2010.
Coincidentally, the owner, having to drop his wife from the insurance for health reasons, sought the price/worth of the car, so I Kelleyed it for him.
A 2010 w/127K in VG cond./private sale is said to be worth $7,100 to $9,000.
FYI.

Ha, you got me looking closely as I care for a 2010.
Coincidentally, the owner, having to drop his wife from the insurance for health reasons, sought the price/worth of the car, so I Kelleyed it for him.
A 2010 w/127K in VG cond./private sale is said to be worth $7,100 to $9,000.
FYI.
I haven't KBB'd mine in a while. I'd like to keep it for another 5 years if I can. New cars just aren't affordable anymore.

I haven't KBB'd mine in a while. I'd like to keep it for another 5 years if I can. New cars just aren't affordable anymore.
Affordability of a new Accord vs one from 5-10 years ago has not changed very much.

Well when you take an 8% pay cut you find many things become unaffordable. It's just the reality many are living right now.
It’s unfortunate, but at the same time, a well-planned budget should not allow an 8% pay cut to materially affect your lifestyle.

3200 mile change & blue filter?
It's going to outlive all of us.
Well technically the Honda blue filter is much less efficient than anything you can buy OTC, so maybe I can shave a few years off it's life!

You are doing more than most people do so good job. How much are you paying for the oem oil and air filters if don’t mind me asking? I use fram ultra and whatever air filter I can get from Walmart or auto parts store for my 2017 accord sport. Little over 65K miles on mine.

I did a 3X drain and fill with amsoil cvt fluid at 32K miles, and did a single drain/fill a few weeks ago. Easy to do preventative maintenance on these

You are doing more than most people do so good job. How much are you paying for the oem oil and air filters if don’t mind me asking? I use fram ultra and whatever air filter I can get from Walmart or auto parts store for my 2017 accord sport. Little over 65K miles on mine.

I did a 3X drain and fill with amsoil cvt fluid at 32K miles, and did a single drain/fill a few weeks ago. Easy to do preventative maintenance on these
Oil filter was $8 and cabin air filter was $20. I’ve been using the Ultra exclusively for the past 7 years but had the itch to go OEM. I’ll probably stick with that from here on out.

Oil filter was $8 and cabin air filter was $20. I’ve been using the Ultra exclusively for the past 7 years but had the itch to go OEM. I’ll probably stick with that from here on out.
I’m paying $5.11/filter in 30 packs from Bernardi’s. Just find a friend to split a pack with.

How'd the CVT fluid look? The one I did ( 2011 Mitsubishi Outback w/111K) resembled dark maple syrup.
The initial one was I’m sure it was somewhat dark, I really can’t remember. I know it didn’t resemble dark maple syrup.

For the single drain and fill, draining it looked pretty clean coming out, but then looking at it in the drain pan it was dark. I have a UOA I posted last week with TAN on the amsoil cvt fluid I drained out

Back