Accord control arm

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ball joint in the upper control arm of my 2008 Honda Accord is starting to go. Looking for some recommendations as to the replacement part supplier. Is OEM the way to go? I only want to do this once.

Also looking for any tips or tricks on doing the replacement. Honda shop manual has you removing the entire strut assembly which I would rather not do. Thanks in advance

Sankei makes good ball joints
smile.gif

Proforged is also good quality

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Sankei makes good ball joints
smile.gif

Yes this. Either buy the Honda one, or a Sankei 555. The last time I bought them for my Accord the Moog boxed arms were 555.

Does Sankei make Honda OEM suspension parts?
NAPA & Beck-Arnley are said to be reboxed OEM parts. However, not for every single application or autopart as we've found out the hardway. You have to open the box to fine out. And that's fine if you're buying at a local parts store and you can view them before buying. But when you buy online, you won't know until you get them home.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
If you want to do it once, use OEM. This one lasted you 10 yrs. Aftermarket control arms may only go between 2-5 yrs.

I second that.

When I replaced the front UCAs on my 89 Accord it was $30 for aftermarket (each), $100 for OEM. I had to replace the aftermarket ones after just two years. Those two years were filled with endless adjustments due to creaking noises from the front end. Then, I spent the bucks and had no further issues. SPEND THE MONEY.

Pretty sure there's an Ericthecarguy or South Main Auto video on the actual topic. Search YouTube. Pulling the front strut/spring assembly isn't terribly hard on those vehicles either.

Most videos show removing the top strut mounting nuts and dropping the top end of the strut assembly out of the strut tower to get clearance to remove the mounting bolts on the control arm. If I do it this way will I need a front end alignment too? Is it possible to attach a spring compressor to alter the position of the coil spring to get access to the bolts and avoid the need for an alignment? Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by greasegunn
Most videos show removing the top strut mounting nuts and dropping the top end of the strut assembly out of the strut tower to get clearance to remove the mounting bolts on the control arm. If I do it this way will I need a front end alignment too? Is it possible to attach a spring compressor to alter the position of the coil spring to get access to the bolts and avoid the need for an alignment? Thanks in advance.

I've seen the 'before and after' alignment reports from such a procedure on a very similar Accord, it doesn't change the alignment. A shop that wants to thoroughly charge someone for the repair will include an alignment, but there's really nothing alignment-wise that's altered unless there are aftermarket cam bolts installed.

Originally Posted by pitzel
Originally Posted by greasegunn

I've seen the 'before and after' alignment reports from such a procedure on a very similar Accord, it doesn't change the alignment. A shop that wants to thoroughly charge someone for the repair will include an alignment, but there's really nothing alignment-wise that's altered unless there are aftermarket cam bolts installed.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll probably do this job in the spring just before my winter tire change outr and will get the alignment checked.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Does Sankei make Honda OEM suspension parts?
NAPA & Beck-Arnley are said to be reboxed OEM parts. However, not for every single application or autopart as we've found out the hardway. You have to open the box to fine out. And that's fine if you're buying at a local parts store and you can view them before buying. But when you buy online, you won't know until you get them home.

On all the Hondas Ive had which have been no newer than 2001, Sankei 555 are OEM parts. I have purchased moog control arms from RockAuto for a 93 Accord and one of the two was a Sankei 555 part the other looked like any other Chinese part. I dont know if that means they just had some stock left over when Moog was actually a reboxed OEM part or not. Having said that I would always choose the Sankei made in Japan parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back