Accidental extreme OCI

Duratec are tough engines. That's why you see a lot of Ford Escape Taxis in NYC. I don't know now, but when I was there 8 years ago, the Escape Taxi rules the NYC streets. Also, the city & government have fleets of them, I know in Houston where I live they have.

Last edited:
Reactions: JC1
I bought some oil and a filter thinking my oil needed to be changed and after looking at the mileage it was only 800 miles. If my son did this to his vehicle I wouldn't admit it to anyone. I once noticed my son wearing his underwear inside out and asked him if he was trying to extend the wear time by using both sides of his underwear.
You're probably okay unless you keep catching him licking the windshield.

• Haha
it was "screaming" at him for some time.
no excuse can soften that.
Don't bother screaming. This was my oldest stepsons way of maintaining his car I gave him. In his words the best car I've had in my life. Two OCIs in just over four years. Burned it up and then he was walking until he got his electric bike. I couldn't resist asking him how the wipers and heater worked. Some people just need to learn through the school of hard knocks being an enabler is expensive and they'll never learn the lesson that way. Because they just think Daddy Warbucks will always be there to bail them out!

A college friend drove his new Chevy Cavalier 65,000 mi before the engine finally seized. This was in 1990, and the oils are a lot better now. He claimed he didn't know that he had to change the oil (!) He didn't change the tires either.
Attending college doesn't necessarily make one intelligent.....

Don’t worry about it. Those are tough engines. Try changing your PCV valve, be sure it’s a Motorcraft, might help with oil consumption.

Autistic kids are really into what they are into and not much else. His job actually involves very intricate work on precision mechanisms. Much more complex than an oil change. All I can do is keep trying to get through to him and eventually Ill wear him down.

Just want to say how awesome it is to read you helping out your stepson like this.

In Canada, 86% of adults with autism are unemployed.

cars just arent his thing, even though between his work and hobbies does an insane amount of driving.

Once heard that autistic people like to do an insane amount of driving because in their car, they feel in control of their sensory stimulation.

The only time the car is home is between 11pm and 7am usually, and not here on the weekends.

So I usually drag ass into the garage after a 12 hr night shift at the refinery, pop the hood, check level, add oil, go inside, shower and sleep. I dont ever drive the thing or even crank the engine.

Car gives so much freedom and he's taking full advantage going away on weekends.

Thanks to your efforts, sounds like he's beating the odds and living his best life.

If he were in charge of maintenance , the car might have failed and it's doubtful good things would have come out of it.

So my stepson did not keep track of his oil change interval. The vehicle is a 2009 Ford escape V6.

I had helped him change the oil sometime back and used penzoil platinum full synthetic and installed a fram tough guard oil filter. After I was done I reset the oil life monitor and installed a sticker on the windshield of when the next oil change was due.

My wife got into his car to move it out of the way the other day, and noticed the oil change light was on in the car. She also saw the sticker on the windshield with a mileage the next oil change was due. It said 141,000 miles.

Well where the problem comes in is the current mileage is 160,000.

When I became aware of the situation, I initially thought no way that could be correct. I mean who would run oil that long. Knowing me I put the mileage at 6 to 10 thousand mile interval on the sticker. So that leaves us at 25 to 29 thousand miles on the oil and filter.

Whatever it may be, I pulled the car in the shop and did an oil change. The oil was pretty dang dark, but not as bad as you would think. It didnt appear to be really thick or sludgy.

Then refilled the car with Valvoline Full Synthetic High Mileage and put a wix filter on it, just because I had some laying around. I also checked the air filter it was the worst I had ever seen, excluding tractors. So I changed it also.

After I changed the oil and filters the car seems to be running fine, as it did before the oil change.

I still didnt believe it was 25 to 29 thousand mile oil, but after talking to him when he got home, sure enough it was. He just left the oil life monitor light on, ignored the sticker and just kept on driving.

So most likely the filter reached capacity and either broke through or the bypass activated at some point keeping the engine supplied with oil saving the engine.

One positive is the car has several leaking gaskets and I add about half a quart a week to maintain level so he doesnt burn up the engine because he doesnt check it. Im sure having a slight amount of fresh oil helped to some degree.

I guess in the future, Im gonna have to keep a better eye on his vehicle maintenance or lack of. The kid is autistic and cars just arent his thing, even though between his work and hobbies does an insane amount of driving. So its really kinda my fault I guess. Im uses to my wife proptly telling me when she needs an oil change and assumed he would do the same as he has before.

I really regret not sampling that oil for analysis. I do still have the filter. Not sure how much oil I could get out of there for analysis or if it would be worth it. So if anyone with a filter cutter wants it to see how the filter performed for 25 thousand plus miles I can send it to you.
I dunno. Sounds like if he wants to drive, needs to learn how to maintain his stuff. No excuse for that

If he were in charge of maintenance , the car might have failed and it's doubtful good things would have come out of it.
If he cant even notify someone of a light being on, Should he even be on the road? If he can put gas in, and he can drive, he can say hey my oil needs changed.

If he cant even notify someone of a light being on, Should he even be on the road? If he can put gas in, and he can drive, he can say hey my oil needs changed.

He probably says my oil needs to be changed but is too busy thinking about other more important things in his life and is unable to manage it all. Those with ADHD in this thread will know the feeling.

Thanks to his stepdad, all is well.

Seems like that's what family is all about to me

As an ADHDer myself (who also isn't medicated but probably should be, lol), oil changes are a "fixation" that I have.

I do my own oil changes like clockwork, and I also keep track of the mileage on all the other family vehicles and do oil changes on them as well, because for some reason I find enjoyment in doing so. It's an easy job to do, and knowing that I did it correctly myself vs a shop or dealership possibly messing something up gives me a weird sense of fulfillment, I dunno...

I volunteer to take care of the basic maintenance on all the other vehicles besides my own, because I enjoy it, not because I have to.

Last oil change on my Pathfinder I had done at the local dealer however because I had some Nissan rewards points to burn before they expired and it ended up being free.

Other maintenance items however...I tend to be more forgetful about and put off til last minute. Only recently did I finally do my cabin air filter...

So my stepson did not keep track of his oil change interval. The vehicle is a 2009 Ford escape V6.

I had helped him change the oil sometime back and used penzoil platinum full synthetic and installed a fram tough guard oil filter. After I was done I reset the oil life monitor and installed a sticker on the windshield of when the next oil change was due.

My wife got into his car to move it out of the way the other day, and noticed the oil change light was on in the car. She also saw the sticker on the windshield with a mileage the next oil change was due. It said 141,000 miles.

Well where the problem comes in is the current mileage is 160,000.

When I became aware of the situation, I initially thought no way that could be correct. I mean who would run oil that long. Knowing me I put the mileage at 6 to 10 thousand mile interval on the sticker. So that leaves us at 25 to 29 thousand miles on the oil and filter.

Whatever it may be, I pulled the car in the shop and did an oil change. The oil was pretty dang dark, but not as bad as you would think. It didnt appear to be really thick or sludgy.

Then refilled the car with Valvoline Full Synthetic High Mileage and put a wix filter on it, just because I had some laying around. I also checked the air filter it was the worst I had ever seen, excluding tractors. So I changed it also.

After I changed the oil and filters the car seems to be running fine, as it did before the oil change.

I still didnt believe it was 25 to 29 thousand mile oil, but after talking to him when he got home, sure enough it was. He just left the oil life monitor light on, ignored the sticker and just kept on driving.

So most likely the filter reached capacity and either broke through or the bypass activated at some point keeping the engine supplied with oil saving the engine.

One positive is the car has several leaking gaskets and I add about half a quart a week to maintain level so he doesnt burn up the engine because he doesnt check it. Im sure having a slight amount of fresh oil helped to some degree.

I guess in the future, Im gonna have to keep a better eye on his vehicle maintenance or lack of. The kid is autistic and cars just arent his thing, even though between his work and hobbies does an insane amount of driving. So its really kinda my fault I guess. Im uses to my wife proptly telling me when she needs an oil change and assumed he would do the same as he has before.

I really regret not sampling that oil for analysis. I do still have the filter. Not sure how much oil I could get out of there for analysis or if it would be worth it. So if anyone with a filter cutter wants it to see how the filter performed for 25 thousand plus miles I can send it to you.
Thanks for sharing.
We are all busy....I get it.
You could probably put in a reminder for yourself to change it every 6 months.

I'd change this oci out a little early.
Penz us a great oil. I'm sure that helped out your situation.

The transmission went out for the 2nd time so we sold the car to someone who parted it out.

Engine still ran great though.

I dunno. Sounds like if he wants to drive, needs to learn how to maintain his stuff. No excuse for that
Spoken by a person who doesn't have any Autistic kids....

I do, and the school of hard Knox isn't always the answer....especially with Autism. Autistic people do not see the world the same as you and I. They can be VERY gifted and talented in areas we are not, but the world could be on fire and they wouldn't notice. So letting his engine blow up isn't the answer.

Also, do yall think it would be good to sample and test the oil that I put in the car now after the extended OCI? Would it help tell how much wear the last extreme interval caused?
Why would it matter? Water under the bridge.

Back