Accident with the Buick.

ls1mike

$50 Site Donor 2024
So let me just say upfront, my fault. I was getting off a three-lane highway, the ramp has a stop light at the end of it.
There are frequent accidents at it. I looked to my left to see what a car was doing and when I looked forward the cars were stopped for a red
light. I think if I had been in the Caprice or Trans Am I could have stopped. The Buicks brakes are just not as good as those two.
My first accident I have been at fault since high school in 1992.

It was a light hit and it was a car used by Enterprise to pick people up and drop them off, a 2010 Ford Fusion...so at least no really bad automotive crimes were committed in this one...

No full coverage on the Buick so I decided to fix it myself as it drove fine and nothing structural was damaged. Found all the parts at the local Pick and Pull for 183 dollars. Hood, headlight, bumper, bumper foam, plastic part of core support for headlight mounting, grill and a few small items. I did a bunch of the prep and had the local Maaco spray it. I delivered it to them with the lights and bumper removed. They do really good work here as they are located in local large dealership location. (6 or 7 dealerships) So they do A LOT of cars from the dealership. I couldn't believe how many cars were up there with new and used window stickers. Plus, they work with you. Everyone else wanted 600 to 1500 dollars more. I have to say I am surprised at how nice the paint came out.

3-year warranty on the paint. I am under 1400 bucks for the fix, so worth it to me. It would have been totaled if I had full coverage. So, I saved it, and it is a very good A to B car for both of my kids. Figures dad would wreck it...

Anyway, I documented the repair incase my insurance wanted to see it or if I ever sell it the new people can see what I did to fix it.
20221207_150556.jpg

20221211_190315.jpg

20221211_190324.jpg

20221214_183632.jpg

318749480_5699377036847324_8558182135060318508_n.jpg

20221218_133109.jpg

Finished product. It looks better in person.
20230106_183844.jpg

20230106_183839.jpg

20230106_183832.jpg

Oops. If you would have been in the PPV or T/A you'd be sick.
Yeah, but I am almost certain they would have stopped. I think I am going to put F-body brakes on the front of the Buick because my kids drive it.
I have two sets laying around.
I did feel bad about the Buick as it is clean, someone said I should be arrested for a hate crime. I said "It is 17-year-old Buick, not sure it qualifies"

Great deal on the part prices and nice paint job. Did they blend the fenders?

Lookin good again! These era Buicks are reliable, inexpensive to operate cars. Good that it’s repaired and not totalled by insurance.

Nice repair. If I walked up to that I probably would not be able to tell

Side question, how's these cars drive? Comparable to a W-body 3.5 Impala? Or in-between that and a last model LeSabre?

Keeping my eye out always for a good deal. Could be a decent car to have in the fleet as a 2nd car/miles accumulator.

Nice repair. If I walked up to that I probably would not be able to tell

Side question, how's these cars drive? Comparable to a W-body 3.5 Impala? Or in-between that and a last model LeSabre?

Keeping my eye out always for a good deal. Could be a decent car to have in the fleet as a 2nd car/miles accumulator.
It drives nice. The Series III is really good. What I will say about it is I think the struts/shocks are valved differently from say a Grand Prix or Regal. It is a bit floatier, but I have new quick struts in the garage for it so I will see if that is actually the case.

Last edited:
That turned out top notch, honestly. I think the bumper looks better without the chrome bits. Can't beat $1400 for a hit like that either. Curious what a body shop would've estimated it at.

That turned out top notch, honestly. I think the bumper looks better without the chrome bits. Can't beat $1400 for a hit like that either. Curious what a body shop would've estimated it at.
The cheapest was 2100 to spray and prep it. I have seen this particular Maaco's work before, and they are pretty dang good. Yelp with 30 reviews is 4.5 and Google with over 200 is 4.6. Like I said they will work with you. I prepped and removed the bumper. The other places wouldn't do that. They didn't even want me to remove the lights. Some wouldn't use used OEM parts. So, this was my best option. I was quoted 1350 to prep the hood, spray the bumper, blend the fenders and add clear coat. So actually, with parts I am just at 1533 for everything. I paid 3800 bucks for it in August with 130,000 it. Did the brakes, intake gasket, wheels and tinted the windows. They sell around here for a little less than I what I have in it total. I am ok with it because I bought it from original owner, and it was well maintained. Last one I saw sold for 4800 and it was not as clean as this and had more miles. So, it is a decent car for my kids to use.

On a side note, I like it better without the chrome as well. If it had been newer with less miles, I would have had it painted the gray of the used parts. It is much nicer color.

Yeah the Maaco next to the Haselwood dealerships is a hidden gem. I've had them paint a few bumper covers and aftermarket spoilers for me with just a factory paint code and have been impressed.

Yeah the Maaco next to the Haselwood dealerships is a hidden gem. I've had them paint a few bumper covers and aftermarket spoilers for me with just a factory paint code and have been impressed.
No doubt. I can't believe how good it came out. I like that they will do pretty much whatever you want. You have to do certain things to get the warranty but I am good with it.

"It was a light hit and it was a car used by Enterprise to pick people up and drop them off, a 2010 Ford Fusion"

Real wow factor starting your car rental experience. How do their underwriters even permit such a relic on the property?

"It was a light hit and it was a car used by Enterprise to pick people up and drop them off, a 2010 Ford Fusion"

Real wow factor starting your car rental experience. How do their underwriters even permit such a relic on the property?
A company like Enterprise self-insures.

A company like Enterprise self-insures.

2010 Fusion slander 😭
It's not that old is it 😳
I'd take it in a heartbeat over the last Mirage they offered me 😮‍💨

The paint job is mint, I wish I could get reasonable priced quality like that in my neck of the woods

It wasn't an actual rental. Just to ferry people.

Nice repair.

Enterprise’s cost to repair vehicles is almost half of market rate. When I was in the insurance industry they’d get OEM parts for almost half of retail and the labor rates they paid shops were dirt cheap. I guess the volume made up for it for the shops they used.

Back