AC stopped working/ 2024 Malibu w/4700 miles

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Got in after returning from our vacation and upon startup, could hear clicking from the AC compressor/clutch area. Took to dealer, got a Silverado 4cyl turbo loaner and they gave me two cases of AC Delco 0w20 & 2 oil filters. The employee said this should never have happened and they apologized. So far, excellent service....

20240617_100754.jpg

20240617_101440.jpg

20240617_101518.jpg

20240617_101538.jpg

20240617_101505.jpg

20240617_101517.jpg

20240617_093244.jpg

That would make me a little nervous about my future ownership. But stuff happens, could easily be a one off issue.

A loaner truck, Free 12qts of oil and 2 filters? What the heck did you say to them? LOL

FWIW, I had a really good chevy dealer experience with my recently purchased 2021 Equinox as well, but not that good!
Nothing really. Was just pleasant and expressed that I know this can happen to anyone. Courtesy goes a long way and I try treating everyone with respect and understanding. As I'm sure most of us here do.

Last edited:
GMC/Chevy - Transmissions and AC. Like a broken record. Checks with chart (old Navy Navigation term...)

Only issues I ever had with my GMC Sierra. AC and transmission. 325K miles until Tranny went again. That's was the 4L60E tranny. Good for 120K and then boom. No matter what I did. Never even used the truck for a truck except to get lumber in a blue moon or move a couch for someone. Tranny failed 3 times, AC had a compressor issue twice. This was all over a 11 year period, so, meh?

EDIT: From Consumer reports:

Some common issues with the Chevrolet Malibu include transmission problems, electrical issues, fuel pump failures, and air conditioning problems. However, these issues are relatively uncommon and can be easily resolved with proper maintenance and care.Feb 1, 2024

Important thing is the dealer is taking care of it. Thats everything.

Last edited:
Nothing really. Was just pleasant and expressed that I know this can happen to anyone. Courtesy goes a long way and I try treating everyone with respect and understanding. As I'm sure most of us here do.

You did good! I think you'd be hard pressed to get a loaner from any of my local dealers unless it was scheduled way in advance. Most of them will schedule a "free" ride for you though. LOL. Being calm is always wise IMO. Courteous? Well that depends on them.

It happens. We have had a handful of new Freightliner M2 106 trucks with bad compressors in the last year. At least you get a loaner.

Good to hear not all dealer service experiences always lead to horror stories. The A/C is mandatory this time of year. 🥵

Call the Chevrolet dealership and tell them they can keep the Malibu and that you appreciate the even trade! 🤣

p.s., Is that a Turbo 4 cylinder in the Silverado? 😲
Been in service for 4-5 years now.

Last edited:
Back