AC Filter Drier Cut Open

Here is the guts of a AC filter/drier. It is off our 1995 Prevost bus/mh w/80k btu R-134a ac system that holds 24 Lbs.

It was clogged/restrictive somewhat and causing the clutch to cycle off/on. Desiccant pellets looked ok but the wooly stuff was causing the restriction.
OTR filter drier guts.jpg

OTR screen clog.jpg

OTR filter drier.jpg

Last edited:
Jetman! Thank you for the photos! I knew there was a dessicant in the dryer, but the wooley material is interesting. I have run across an A/C in my wife's Miata that has a rapidly cycling compressor. I plan on tackling the car in the spring and plan on including a new receiver/dryer.

Looks the same size and shape as I used to work with when I did bus AC systems, different branding but that's just ink isn't it? Could be just 1 major manufacturer. Don't remember ever cutting one open, but I changed them whenever the system had been without pressure for a while or after the bus was in service for a few years.

24 pounds sounds about right, I usually went by pressures and temps to determine the fill weight as I didn't have the data available. The busses were owned and operated by us.

Prevost is a high end coach. You don't buy them new off the lot. You visit the factory for an interview and they custom make you coach. Think rock stars and movie stars.
Thanks for the great post. Wondered what was in there.
NYC Transit has a fleet of Prevost H3-45 commuter coaches. A small transit agency outside of Oakland, CA bought the two demo buses for the NYCMTA orders. They’re OK. MCIs are much better for commuter service. Prevost’s bread and butter is VIP conversions and luxury touring buses.

The system was originally designed to cool down a heat soaked bus quickly, and keep 50 people comfortable in full sunlight. Converters buy the shell and turn them into motorhomes.
View attachment 128587
I always see a Prevost VIP conversion with a trailer for touring gear parked in front of original Fillmore in SF as well as our Fox Theater.

The AC pull-down standard for buses was originally drafted by NJ Transit and Houston Metro - both specify a bus HVAC system must cool down the interior from ambient to 70*F within 30 minutes.

Back