AC Delco Professional water pump 4 years

Heavy use. Toyota says starters are good for 30k starts- that translates to 1500 work days for yours...
So that's something like 7 years, so I got an extra 11 out of it. I think this starter was just a freak. I was being less easy on the starter towards the end, knowing I had a fresh rebuild ready to swap in...so I'd save the gas instead of starts. Normally the solenoid or brushes would have failed by this point, but since they didn't a major part let go, leaving me stranded. At least I got my $ worth out of the starter and my CAA membership.

The AC Delco water pumps are one of the few for the Chrysler Magnum line (ie 318, 360 and the 3.9? V6) that just include the metal bypass tube in the box.

I'm sure the pump is so-so but it's intelligent product pairing IMO because 98% of the time you want to just replace that tube also.

You know you’re desperate (and unprepared) when you're trolling the HELP! aisle at Autozone at 9pm on a Saturday night and overpaying for that stupid tube. Not that I've ever done such a thing.....
Quoting myself because I hereby withdraw my endorsement of the AC Delco wp for the Dodge Magnums.

I installed one in a 2000 MY November 1, 2022 and it's now gushing from the weep hole.

No wobble or play. Fan and fan clutch feel good and do not appear damaged or otherwise unusual.

Quoting myself because I hereby withdraw my endorsement of the AC Delco wp for the Dodge Magnums.

I installed one in a 2000 MY November 1, 2022 and it's now gushing from the weep hole.

No wobble or play. Fan and fan clutch feel good and do not appear damaged or otherwise unusual.
Guess I should be happy mine lasted about 6 years and 80k miles. I'm really hoping the Melling lives up to its name.

The RA return form wanted to know and I was kinda curious anyway: I installed the Dodge wp at 177,340. Truck is now at 181,415 but I know it's been leaking for at least several hundred miles and he just kept topping it off.

So less than 4000 miles. In hand the pump feels smooth and is quiet, as it was when mounted and I grabbed the fan blades.

It just seems like a seal was unhappy with life.

I'm making RA warranty it on principle (I hope it gets RTV'd) but not sure I want to install another. It still has the AC Delco sticker barely hanging on
20230327_112357.jpg

Just checking in on a AC Delco water pump I installed 4 years ago in my beater, a 2005 Ford Taurus. Still runs fine after four years with Prestone 5 year coolant in place. It was made in China. Enjoy the old pics of it before it was installed.

What am I reading? A topic that some aftermarket part lasted 4 years? That't kinda normal depending on mileage and service duty.

I don't understand the purpose of this topic.

I also don't understand why people feel like they have to declare some vehicle with some age as a "beater". It's only a beater instead of a great vehicle, if you don't keep up on repairs, considering also, that could be rust damage that exceeds vehicle value.

What am I reading? A topic that some aftermarket part lasted 4 years? That't kinda normal depending on mileage and service duty.

I also don't understand why people feel like they have to declare some vehicle with some age as a "beater". It's only a beater instead of a great vehicle, if you don't keep up on repairs, considering also, that could be rust damage that exceeds vehicle value.
Dave, please don’t post stuff like you are anonymous and can gripe about anything you want. You seem to be drifting. I posted some images of a Chinese made water pump that is doing just fine. This is the mechanical/maintenance forum. In fact, some Bitoggers would consider the well cast body to be almost art work. If you like, I can review your posts from the past and critique them. My post received 5 likes and initiated discussion consisting of 23 posts other than yours.
Now get back into your happy groove. Snag.

Last edited:

4k miles is normal depending on usage? Maybe not uncommon due to poor quality control these days, but not "normal". I don't understand the purpose of your post. I want people to post their experiences like this as it helps to avoid buying brands that are more likely to be defective.
Not sure why you wasted your time with this useless reply.

4k miles is normal depending on usage? Maybe not uncommon due to poor quality control these days, but not "normal". I don't understand the purpose of your post. I want people to post their experiences like this as it helps to avoid buying brands that are more likely to be defective.
Thanks. I posted that this Chinese made pump made it four years so far. It’s a data point.

Don't feed the trolls. It encourages them. Just ignore them. If such nonsense continues from a given user I just put them on my ignore list, then I really never see them.

Don't feed the trolls. It encourages them. Just ignore them. If such nonsense continues from a given user I just put them on my ignore list, then I really never see them.
Makes sense, but then if I do that I may miss the point of other posts, because of lack of context.
I could have just ignored yes, but the post came off as kind of offensive to the op, when it was a helpful post, so I felt compelled to respond. I was trying to shut him up more than anything.

Thanks. I posted that this Chinese made pump made it four years so far. It’s a data point.

Okay and... almost every part I buy lasts 4+ years. Except consumables, windshield wiper blades, etc. I only mention the ones that fail seemingly-prematurely, and that in an owners' forum for the make/model, because that's where there are fellow owners who can benefit.

You can't just assume that an aftermarket supplier of a particular part for one make/model/generation, has equal quality for another make/model/generation, nor even something made, say 5 years ago and installed for 4 years, would be the same part someone buys this year from same brand.

If you like, I can review your posts from the past and critique them.

So essentially you're threatening to troll my old posts if I don't abandon an opinion and my freedom of speech? If you do that, and I do that, and everyone else starts doing that to everyones' posts, what a mess that would make the forum. Please respect other peoples' right to disagree.

I made no statement about a (different) 4K pump failure, only about the questionable benefit of posting that something 4 years old, still works. It doesn't give an owner of a different vehicle or buying at a different time or in a different region, any assurance of anything, and yet a pump that still works at 4 years old is par for the course... a thing that doesn't need mentioned.

Almost everything I own lasts more than 4 years besides consumables. Is it a "data point" to list everything? Yes it is, but the ratio of people posting about bad experiences is an order of magnitude or more, greater rate than those who post about something with no issues, so data points can't really be weighed as valid for any kind of comparison in a situation like this.

Case in point: I have an alternator, for random vehicle W (this is a real vehicle) that I bought over 4 years ago. It's brand X, remanufactured by employee Y, on date Z. It still works. I never told anybody until now. Does this mean that if you buy an alternator from the same brand, it will work for 4 years? Probably yes, but 5 years? 8 years? Why is 4 years a benchmark? The data is inconclusive to establish anything. Too many variables.

Last edited:
I was trying to shut him up more than anything.

Yes. You did not comprehend what I posted, based on your reply to something I did not write, then wanted to censor my opinion, freedom of speech and any further information. There's at least three plus, things wrong with that.

Yes. You did not comprehend what I posted, based on your reply to something I did not write, then wanted to censor my opinion, freedom of speech and any further information. There's at least three plus, things wrong with that.
No I don't think any of us comprehended what you posted. Another defective Ac Delco part is what he posted (I've been there multiple times also with their junk parts) and your post is trying to say his post was useless? What do you work for Ac Delco?
****, they were right, I'm just feeding the troll, because you still aren't getting it.

^ It's not trolling to disagree. Realize that.

He did not post "another defective AC Delco part", he posted a topic about a random part that was installed and didn't fail after only 4 years, which is the normal way it works with any repair for that length of time.

No I don't work for ACDelco. How did you even make that leap? ACDelco is towards the bottom of the aftermarket 1st tier I'd choose, unless it was a GM vehicle which is a brand ownership I Just Don't Do (lol). You "seem" to have a lot more imagination going on than is appropriate when it comes back to what I'd already stated, that there isn't a lot of purpose to a point of data about a part that doesn't fail prematurely, that it's the normal thing that happens.

If you find great value in this topic, great, but to me, it didn't have a use.

Trying to be a drama queen about "feeding the troll", is far reaching at best. If someone wants to state "hey that's great info", it's equally fair to state "hey that's useless info", if that is the situation.

Why does it bother you so much? If you found the info useful, nothing I state takes away from that, right? If you can use that single point of data to your benefit, that's a good thing. I am also, only one point of data. :)

This all feels like a big social experiment in embracing and defending OCD. Things I repair that keep working, I don't give another moment's thought, because that's kind of the point.

Last edited:
^ It's not trolling to disagree. Realize that.

He did not post "another defective AC Delco part", he posted a topic about a random part that was installed and didn't fail after only 4 years, which is the normal way it works with any repair for that length of time.

No I don't work for ACDelco. How did you even make that leap? ACDelco is towards the bottom of the aftermarket 1st tier I'd choose, unless it was a GM vehicle which is a brand ownership I Just Don't Do (lol). You "seem" to have a lot more imagination going on than is appropriate when it comes back to what I'd already stated, that there isn't a lot of purpose to a point of data about a part that doesn't fail prematurely, that it's the normal thing that happens.

If you find great value in this topic, great, but to me, it didn't have a use.

Trying to be a drama queen about "feeding the troll", is far reaching at best. If someone wants to state "hey that's great info", it's equally fair to state "hey that's useless info", if that is the situation.

Why does it bother you so much? If you found the info useful, nothing I state takes away from that, right? If you can use that single point of data to your benefit, that's a good thing. I am also, only one point of data. :)

This all feels like a big social experiment in embracing and defending OCD. Things I repair that keep working, I don't give another moment's thought, because that's kind of the point.
I just went back and realized I thought you were replying to the post immediately above yours, by d60, that his failed at 4k miles and I think I thought he was the op at the time. So it seemed like you were saying "big deal, what do you expect".
Even so, it's still an ignorant post because these open the discussion up for other people's experience like that 4k mile failure. Most people do not check in years later and a lot of parts fail within a year or 2, so any data is helpful in my opinion. Moreso than a post when the part is first installed.

My wife's 2011 GM leaked at 80k, a known issue but as usual, the 2011 was excluded from the recall. It had a TSB to top off coolant if coolant is low, another stupid GM TSB lol (the best is the DRLs burning out from 1995 to 2014 and TSB said to put a higher wattage bulb).

Because it seemed none of the aftermarkets had the 6 bolts, I went with the OE made in Canada. It was $114 at the time (much more today). I'm hoping that by 2019, they fixed whatever the defect was. If I really had to do again, I'd go with Gates as that today seems to have the bolts included. At the time Gates was $42.

So you can see my original failed pump in Post #24 of this thread.

My replacement arrived today. Different AC Delco sticker but they pulled a Dorman and have machined off (which is a step above Dorman who seemingly pays toddlers in India to use a Dremel) something they don't want you to see.

Laugh or cry.....maybe this one can make it 5000 miles instead of 4000 miles? Hope springs eternal!
20230330_191321.jpg
20230330_191347.jpg
20230330_191357.jpg

I have experience with professional and OE ACDelco. I've used "new" lifetime warranty starters, on my Nissan. 2 failed causing me to do the job 3X. The 3rd one was on the way to failure and I caught it--the field wire's insulator was wearing away then shorting out the solenoid. Once I put some electrical tape on, this didn't happen anymore. In the meantime, ACDelco retracted the lifetime warranty (can they do that, try fighting them). I get it, seasoned shade trees say always rebuild your original starter, never replace it.

Anyway, I've gotten ACDelco air filters and cabin air filters, and found the OE to simply be the Professional with a sticker. imho that's not typical of the Europeans. Say with a BMW, you clearly know if the part is aftermarket, OEM, or OE. OEM means OEM, not what came with the car, as that is OE. Japanese is very obscure as well. And the delta is many times more with OE, and what is not OE (it could be OEM, it could be aftermarket, only comic book superheroes with esp would know). my .02

Reactions: D60
Back