AC Delco PF47 or PF52 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ran a pf52 on my 2.8L firebird. I was young when I got the car, my mom brought it to the pontiac dealer for a "free" inspection. In exchange for free, you get the horror stories of what you're doing wrong and how much they'll charge to easily remedy that.
I didn't know she took it in.. I was 17, barely knew anything about cars, and was to afraid to change my own oil till I was 18.
She took it to them, and by then I was using a pf52 instead of the pf47 b/c a guy at the garage i worked at said it's better all around, more filtering and more oil. So I let him talk me into it. well 176k later.. not one worry.

well the service writer at pontiac gave a huge scare story to my mom about me using the wrong filter. Well the 1yr bumper to bumper warranty I used the correct size filter, but the dealer did not change the oil! the 2nd & 3rd year deductable warranty I switched to the pf51. I assumed the warranty was over, if I had to pay for anything!

So they told my mom that to much oil was added to the engine and it would cause major problems soon and that pontiac didn't specifiy that filter for the car. my mom came home freaked out, and I made her call the garage and talk to the mechanic who told me to switch and then she backed off, and we never went back to the dealer for anything, ever again!

If you think they'll make an excuse to dodge their warranty responsibilities just because you are using a larger, but correctly matched filter, put the "right" sized one on before you have it worked on. They don't need to ever see what filter size you have been using.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back