Absolutely great story- Elon not being held hostage and accepting fear from IT professionals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Elon could be contrasted as a modern day Howard Hughes. Extremely rich, influential, narcissistic, and has many tendrils in US government operations. There are many pros and cons to this, the general US populate has and will continue to struggle accepting him. I struggle myself. Know that endorsing him also endorses his extremely liberal views on extra marital children. Its countless at this point, so you could consider he is a polygamist, or the more modern term polyamorous, either way as a father myself he better pay child support.

Great Story that the OP posted. I agree with others in here, Musk all but admitted it was a mistake in the way they did it.
He got lucky Twitter was still running but with big problems as he said.

To me, this haphazard way of operating is, let's say, you wouldn't want Musk operating on you if he was a doctor. He takes big chances on whim, has the money to do so and when he makes mistakes which he often does money gets it fixed.
But if you were a hospital patient and he was a doctor, he would lose his license to practice for all the chances he took on people who died because of his narcissism.

Am I one of the few that read the whole story? This isnt a hero's story! Even Musk would admit as follows =

"An example of Musk’s bold and scrappy approach! But as with all things Musk, it was, alas, not that simple. It was also an example of his recklessness, his impatience with pushback, and the way he intimidated people. X’s infrastructure engineers had tried to explain to him, in that head-explosion-emoji meeting a week earlier, why a quick shutdown of the Sacramento center would be a problem, but he shot them down. He had a good track record of knowing when to ignore naysayers. But not a perfect one.

For the next two months, X was destabilized. The lack of servers caused meltdowns, including when Musk hosted a Twitter Spaces for presidential candidate Ron DeSantis. “In retrospect, the whole Sacramento shutdown was a mistake,” Musk would admit in March 2023. “I was told we had redundancy across our data centers. What I wasn’t told was that we had 70,000 hard-coded references to Sacramento. And there’s still **** that’s broken because of it.

Last edited:
Yup, there was an interesting history of the Ford family a few years ago. I read a history of the Kennedys around the same time. It was a bit of a coin toss morally.

There was an interesting article a few years ago - it's well-known that Henry Ford had his dealers display pro-Nazi literature in their showrooms, and had a strong anti-semitic bias. However, and this was new to me, "Henry the Deuce" (Henry Ford II, the grandson) had Ford supply much aid to Israel in the Yom Kippur war of 1973.

It does sound like Edsel, Henry's son, was a good man. It's too bad we remember him for the car named after him.
Truth be told too, if you dig into his personal history Henry Ford was...not a great person...and he held some views that even then were not exactly mainstream or considered favorably(particularly his open and rampant anti-semitism).

The Model T was a wonder of both efficiency of manufacture and also of combining several known but previously unconnected concepts to make that happen.

He was also rather stubborn and it's almost kind of a wonder that the Model A ever made it to market. Chances are Ford would be an important footnote in history if the Model A and the models that followed had never been produced.

Great Story that the OP posted. I agree with others in here, Musk all but admitted it was a mistake in the way they did it.
He got lucky Twitter was still running but with big problems as he said.

To me, this haphazard way of operating is, let's say, you wouldn't want Musk operating on you if he was a doctor. He takes big chances on whim, has the money to do so and when he makes mistakes which he often does money gets it fixed.
But if you were a hospital patient and he was a doctor, he would lose his license to practice for all the chances he took on people who died because of his narcissism.

Am I one of the few that read the whole story? This isnt a hero's story! Even Musk would admit as follows =

"An example of Musk’s bold and scrappy approach! But as with all things Musk, it was, alas, not that simple. It was also an example of his recklessness, his impatience with pushback, and the way he intimidated people. X’s infrastructure engineers had tried to explain to him, in that head-explosion-emoji meeting a week earlier, why a quick shutdown of the Sacramento center would be a problem, but he shot them down. He had a good track record of knowing when to ignore naysayers. But not a perfect one.

For the next two months, X was destabilized. The lack of servers caused meltdowns, including when Musk hosted a Twitter Spaces for presidential candidate Ron DeSantis. “In retrospect, the whole Sacramento shutdown was a mistake,” Musk would admit in March 2023. “I was told we had redundancy across our data centers. What I wasn’t told was that we had 70,000 hard-coded references to Sacramento. And there’s still **** that’s broken because of it.
Elon made billions in indirect money in moving the servers than can be tough to see/ observe/ calculate.

All of the people that work under him, especially IT people, have received a implied warning. Cut the bull, get it done, or you will be replaced by someone who can and will get it done.

One would have to say more likely than not this story went around all his enterprises. I suspect the results were/ are people are more likely to get it done, done now, than to make up excuses on why it can't be done. That is a huge moneymaker for Musk. There is a reason he is identified in many circles as the world's richest person. Many poke fun at him and take shots at him- while he continues to crush it and ring the register, and accomplish things so many critics thought are not possible/ feasible.

There are always two sides to every story, and the truth is almost always somehwere in between. Which side of the story did you get?
honestly, I just think the guy is so powerful and worldwide, he needs to be careful when he gets involved in the nation state conflicts.

honestly, I just think the guy is so powerful and worldwide, he needs to be careful when he gets involved in the nation state conflicts.
I will have to assume you read one side of the story and selected to not read the other side of the story. Kind of sad if my specualtion is accurate. If you did impartial research before posting your thoughts and came to this conclusion, I apoligize in advance.

Musk lets Ukraine use Starlink for free, even though many companies make billion$ off the war.
He did not shut down the link to the Russian area; one was not built yet.

My grandparents are from Ukraine. I hate Putin's war of aggression.

I will have to assume you read one side of the story and selected to not read the other side of the story. Kind of sad if my specualtion is accurate. If you did impartial research before posting your thoughts and came to this conclusion, I apoligize in advance.
I didnt read much into it... I just know that whenever any private individuals gather too much say in things, they need to be reigned in because at a certain point their own self interest might work against the broader public interest..

Yup, there was an interesting history of the Ford family a few years ago. I read a history of the Kennedys around the same time. It was a bit of a coin toss morally.

There was an interesting article a few years ago - it's well-known that Henry Ford had his dealers display pro-Nazi literature in their showrooms, and had a strong anti-semitic bias. However, and this was new to me, "Henry the Deuce" (Henry Ford II, the grandson) had Ford supply much aid to Israel in the Yom Kippur war of 1973.

It does sound like Edsel, Henry's son, was a good man. It's too bad we remember him for the car named after him.
Yes. The Kennedy "dynasty" (dead now) is a very interesting / sad story. I have studied the Kennedy's story for 50 years. JFK pretty much killed himself when he named his brother RFK Attorney General , who stunningly went straight after the very people who put JFK in the White House. This was reason enough , not Cuba or Castro, that caused JFK's former alliances to have him eliminated. RFK running for POTUS years later spelled his doom as the ones who had removed JFK were not going to allow RFK to go in and start to dig into the JFK killing all over again. Notice - Ted Kennedy kept his mouth shut as much as possible about all of that for the rest of his life and he was left alone. That whole story is very sad and caused not only the deaths of JFK & RFK. A few other people in the know , who could point fingers were also eliminated over time.

Elon made billions in indirect money in moving the servers than can be tough to see/ observe/ calculate.

All of the people that work under him, especially IT people, have received a implied warning. Cut the bull, get it done, or you will be replaced by someone who can and will get it done.

One would have to say more likely than not this story went around all his enterprises. I suspect the results were/ are people are more likely to get it done, done now, than to make up excuses on why it can't be done. That is a huge moneymaker for Musk. There is a reason he is identified in many circles as the world's richest person. Many poke fun at him and take shots at him- while he continues to crush it and ring the register, and accomplish things so many critics thought are not possible/ feasible.
But he didnt get it done, as of March 2023 they still have problems. If done in a more professional way they may not have. He couldn't even have a proper interview with someone who wants to be President of the USA because of the issues.

Reactions: Pew
But he didnt get it done, as of March 2023 they still have problems. If done in a more professional way they may not have. He couldn't even have a proper interview with someone who wants to be President of the USA because of the issues.
Sometimes one has to lose to win....... "Gerry Spence-regarded as the best trial lawyer of the past century by many"

Sometimes one has to lose to win....... "Gerry Spence-regarded as the best trial lawyer of the past century by many"
Guy at work said his dad used to hang out with him - Jackson Hole IIRC … He had retired a couple years before I realized the family source of money - Morton salt 🧂

• Wow
Reactions: GON

“. If done in a more professional way they may not have.”

I would venture to say if it was done in that more professional way it still wouldn’t be done.

Im not sure if he won at anything and we will never know since "X" is a private company. He lost as far as the transition went. Could have had the same results and very possibly with no issues if he proceeded with the way others advised him.

Im not sure if he won at anything and we will never know since "X" is a private company. He lost as far as the transition went. Could have had the same results and very possibly with no issues if he proceeded with the way others advised him.
Hard to know if Musk won or lost, or what his end-state was, or what his mission was. He is at a level few ever are. Maybe some of his actions are actually for the betterment of the country (in his mind). Who knows.......

It took me a decade after reading a chapter called "sometimes one has to lose to win" from Gerry Spence's book "How to argue and win every time", to understand what Gerry meant. It was a very hard concept foe me to grasp, but after a decade I figured out what Gerry was teaching.

Last edited:
Yes. The Kennedy "dynasty" (dead now) is a very interesting / sad story. I have studied the Kennedy's story for 50 years. JFK pretty much killed himself when he named his brother RFK Attorney General , who stunningly went straight after the very people who put JFK in the White House. This was reason enough , not Cuba or Castro, that caused JFK's former alliances to have him eliminated. RFK running for POTUS years later spelled his doom as the ones who had removed JFK were not going to allow RFK to go in and start to dig into the JFK killing all over again. Notice - Ted Kennedy kept his mouth shut as much as possible about all of that for the rest of his life and he was left alone. That whole story is very sad and caused not only the deaths of JFK & RFK. A few other people in the know , who could point fingers were also eliminated over time.
In the late '80s I read two of the more credible JFK assassination conspiracy books - Best Evidence by James Lifton, and On The Trail Of The Assassins by Jim Garrison. I found them both very compelling. Lifton's book focused on the physical evidence, and Garrison's followed the legal side of things. As I recall, the two books didn't contradict each other.

Yes, it appears the Mafia felt betrayed when JFK appointed his brother, RFK, as AG, and he (RFK) went after them (the Mafia). There were rumours the Mob had rigged the election such that Kennedy was able to win Illinois and thereby the election, and that they had expected kid-glove treatment in exchange.

LIFE magazine started delving into the Zapruder film around 1966, and suddenly dropped the whole thing.

Regarding Ted Kennedy, there was an interesting article in TIME or Newsweek in the mid-'90s. The article was written as though addressed to Ted, and asked rhetorically "Teddy, the women, the booze, Chappaquiddick ... what were you thinking? You could have been king! ... Oh yeah, kings get shot, don't they?" It was an interesting theory - Ted subconsciously self-sabotaged himself as a serious presidential candidate because he feared being assassinated.

We're now almost 60 years past the JFK assassination - surely enough time has passed that the redacted information can be released.

The Third Bullet is an interesting and very readable novel by the great Stephen Hunter which presents yet another JFK theory. Hunter went out of his way to not alter any of the hard facts available to the Warren Commission.

Hard to know if Musk won or lost, or what his end-state was, or what his mission was. He is at a level few ever are. Maybe some of his actions are actually for the betterment of the country (in his mind). Who knows.......

It took me a decade after reading a chapter called "sometimes one has to lose to win" from Gerry Spence's book "How to a argue and win every time", to understand what Gerry meant. It was a very hard concept to grasp, but after a decade I figured out what Gerry was teaching.

I always enjoyed television interviews with Spence. He could make his point clearly to anyone. He always wore that leather coat which was his trademark of sorts.

• Love
Reactions: GON
In the late '80s I read two of the more credible JFK assassination conspiracy books - Best Evidence by James Lifton, and On The Trail Of The Assassins by Jim Garrison. I found them both very compelling. Lifton's book focused on the physical evidence, and Garrison's followed the legal side of things. As I recall, the two books didn't contradict each other.

Yes, it appears the Mafia felt betrayed when JFK appointed his brother, RFK, as AG, and he (RFK) went after them (the Mafia). There were rumours the Mob had rigged the election such that Kennedy was able to win Illinois and thereby the election, and that they had expected kid-glove treatment in exchange.

LIFE magazine started delving into the Zapruder film around 1966, and suddenly dropped the whole thing.

Regarding Ted Kennedy, there was an interesting article in TIME or Newsweek in the mid-'90s. The article was written as though addressed to Ted, and asked rhetorically "Teddy, the women, the booze, Chappaquiddick ... what were you thinking? You could have been king! ... Oh yeah, kings get shot, don't they?" It was an interesting theory - Ted subconsciously self-sabotaged himself as a serious presidential candidate because he feared being assassinated.

We're now almost 60 years past the JFK assassination - surely enough time has passed that the redacted information can be released.

The Third Bullet is an interesting and very readable novel by the great Stephen Hunter which presents yet another JFK theory. Hunter went out of his way to not alter any of the hard facts available to the Warren Commission.
The last one I read was called High Treason (2) The Great Cover Up: The Assasination of POTUS JFK by: Harrison Edward Livinston-copywrite 1992. This one covers all kind of angles and list up to (27-30) people who were killed or died in many very strange ways. Strange, is how many of these supposed random deaths were nearly all people connected to each other & Washington DC in so many innocent ways. For a while they were dropping like flies. Not talked about much anymore or even at the time but missing Teamster's ex President J.R. Hoffa Sr is also believed to have been sucked down into the JFK killing quicksand that spread so far in all directions.

What Musk was doing was trying to break the paralysis that happens during decisions and processes.
Musk is, for all his annoying quirks, a catalyst for getting tip-of-the-spear technology to market. If his "stuff" steers (shames) more conservative companies with "normal" engineering-to-market paths in a direction I agree with, I appreciate it. The person, himself, makes me want to not enrich him or his stockholders at all.

Business books will use his "streamlined" processes as an example, but also as a warning. Without the cult of personality it wouldn't hold together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back