absinthe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a good write up about absinthe on wikipedia. I suggest giving it a good read before purchasing any of the newly available absinthe.

One thing that I gleaned from the wikipedia article is that properly made absinthe does NOT produce any more hallucinogenic effects than any other alcoholic drink. It's just the fact that absinthe has a much higher alcohol content than what most folks are used to. So, you have 3 shots of absinthe & you're blitzed; whereas the same thing wouldn't happen with 3 shots of whiskey, for example.

A green bottle is about as far as I'm willing to go, ergo, Heineken and Becks for me thanks. I've read about this stuff, and I get a headache just thinking about it. I can only imagine what the hangover must be like...
crazy2.gif

Well it was always sold but the quality was dubios at best!!! Those of us that drank it in Eruope buy the bucket load's have always maintained that their was nothing in it or in the worm wood that caused problems! Now we have scientific evidence to back it up!!! I suspect it was the lead crystal decanturs and such that lead to mental illness of those that drank it or some other behavior that was common to those that drank this spirt a long time ago.... Kind of how Ectasy does not cause aid's or TB or menigitis but takeing X and then kissing 120 people at a rave and sleeping with three or four people that you do not know without protection can sure lead to those disease's etc......Like body building does not kill your liver but takeing massive insane amounts of steroids and groth hormones sure can.... By the way I am not anti steroid or anti growth hormone but I think that it should be used if a medical need exsists that requires it and only with Dr. supervision and in theraputic dose's!!! SOme of these body builder's will keep uping their amount of steroids until they urinate blood then they back it off just a little bit!!!So often a given activity is linked to other activity indirectly and the blame does not always fall on the right activity!!!

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
One thing that I gleaned from the wikipedia article is that properly made absinthe does NOT produce any more hallucinogenic effects than any other alcoholic drink. It's just the fact that absinthe has a much higher alcohol content than what most folks are used to. So, you have 3 shots of absinthe & you're blitzed; whereas the same thing wouldn't happen with 3 shots of whiskey, for example.

Well, back in '06 I travelled to Czech, among other countries. I arrived back in the states w/ 2 bottles (~$8.00 USD per bottle, and it has wormwood that sits at the bottom of the bottle), and there is a difference between the stuff you find stateside and the stuff you drink in Europe. The biggest part of the equation is thujone, the less there is, the less it deserves to be labeled absinthe.

Absinthe packs much more than just an alcohol buzz. I wouldnt call it hallucinogenic per say, but it is different than any other alcohol I have ever had, and I have tried just about all of them.

If you buy, examine the thujone content. If its not listed on the bottle, it is NOT absinthe, regardless of what the label tries to sell you.

Originally Posted By: heathenbrewing
...Absinthe packs much more than just an alcohol buzz. I wouldnt call it hallucinogenic per say, but it is different than any other alcohol I have ever had, and I have tried just about all of them.

If you buy, examine the thujone content...

Just curious; Do you attribute the 'more than an alcohol buzz' to the presence of thujone in absinthe?

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne

Just curious; Do you attribute the 'more than an alcohol buzz' to the presence of thujone in absinthe?

I am not an expert in what happens when thujone and alcohol combine, so with all certainty I can not say. As far as I know though, that is the only other ingredient that could cause the extra buzz. It is very different than all other alcohols. Just a drink or two and your not going to notice any effects other than the alcohol, but spend the entire night with the green fairy and you will understand - there is more to this drink than meets the eye.

This is an old thread, but I just read a couple of articles that say modern chemical analysis shows that thujone survives distillation in such small quantities that absinthe--both what's sold now and the old brands--are legal.
The buzz is due to the fact that absinthe is between 120 and 140 proof.
The following brands are supposedly good examples.

Vieux Pontarlier
Pernod Absinthe
Mansinthe--made in Switzerland for that freak, Marilyn Manson.

Last year around this time, I had a desire to try absinthe. I never did, and the desire has since passed. From what I can gather, the stuff is terribly expensive, too.

I Just had a glass of it in on Bourbon Street in New Orleans at The Old Absinthe House. It had a licorice taste.

I've tried the Pernod, good syrupy stuff. Definitely a winter drink. I can see why this isn't everyones cup of tea so to speak but it is a good drink. No freak-out hallucinations either.

It is a ok drink. If you drink alot of anything that high in proof, you will be sailing quiet high.

Just the fact Van Gou(pardon spelling) cut his own ear off while drinking the stuff makes me grab a good bottle of it before I go to a party. Makes a great conversation, then everyone wants to try it, then every one gets very drunk and the party goes on!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back