ABS code 42 - 2009 Buick LaCrosse.

Those of you who follow my posts know that just last week I spent 1.4k on a repair for my Buick. This morning I got an ABS code for the right front wheel speed sensor. This was after a couple of low speed stops activated ABS which was one of symptoms I had from my expensive adventure last week.

Anyways. I wanted to know how to properly diagnose this issue. I know there's the wiring, the abs reluctor wheel and the bearing containing the sensor itself.

It's also worth mentioning I just put new pads, rotors and calipers on this past weekend and the pads were semi metallic, so the dust might be sticking to important bits.

My gut, without diagnostics, is to replace the front right wheel bearing (with the built in ABS sensor). Of course, it may be as simple as a poor electrical connection between the sensor and the receiver. My remembrance of the wheel bearings on FWD GM sedans is that there were fairly inexpensive and easy to replace. I replaced a few of them on 2000-2005 Pontiac Bonnevilles.

Glad the problem is no longer showing.

Common problem with those is the wiring from the hub. Where it routes over the control arm and upwards is breaks inside. You can buy a replacement harness and install in little time. I've done this exact repair on a Lucerne and a Grand Prix. The way I noticed is buy watching scan tool data while pulling and moving the wires until it acted up.

I don't think it's the wiring. Just a little while ago while driving I heard a sound like a spring under tenson let loose followed by a loud pop. Pulled over immediately and checked everything then carefully drove it home. It's grounded until I can take the wheel bearing off and examine everything.

I just realized I should be prepared for this hub assembly to come off in 2 pieces.

Any pointers for successful removal would be appreciated.

I don't know about your model, but on my 2000-2005 Pontiac Bonneville the hub is one piece. I always used Timkens and never ever had a issue. I read that today's Timkens are not as good as prior, but who knows.

The only issue I suspect you may have is breaking the wheel hub/ bearing free. A puller is nice to have, and their are other methods. Watch a few youtubes and you will feel real comfortable.

The one thing to have awareness of, GM recommends the large nut holding the front of the bearing in place be replaced with a new nut. That nut is something you may want to order in advance.

Just .02 cents.

I don't know about your model, but on my 2000-2005 Pontiac Bonneville the hub is one piece. I always used Timkens and never ever had a issue. I read that today's Timkens are not as good as prior, but who knows.

The only issue I suspect you may have is breaking the wheel hub/ bearing free. A puller is nice to have, and their are other methods. Watch a few youtubes and you will feel real comfortable.

The one thing to have awareness of, GM recommends the large nut holding the front of the bearing in place be replaced with a new nut. That nut is something you may want to order in advance.

Just .02 cents.

Yes but the hub can break apart when in bad shape.

SKF hub due to arrive today, will be replacing it tomorrow. Hopefully all goes well.

Reactions: GON
Back