A3B4 vs C3 And Oil Consumption

Hello all,

First, I am already aware that this topic has been discussed long ago and I have read all posts.

However my question is that will it be really better to use A3B4 instead of C3 for minimizing the oil consumption?

Currently switched the oil from vw504 (liqui moly 4200 5w30) to the vw502 oil (Castrol Edge 5w40 still C3) and the consumption got even worse despite increasing the viscocity.

I am really struggling to find the A3B4 5w40 oil with peace of mind as nearly nowhere sells this and I can not trust to the genuinity of the oils that I find from small shops who are not global in any way.

I would like to read your opinions about this oil (Castrol Edge 5w40 C3) with Vw502 approval on my 2010 audi 1.8 tfsi (cdhb engine).

Cheers.

Originally Posted by moonlightblue
Hello all,

First, I am already aware that this topic has been discussed long ago and I have read all posts.

However my question is that will it be really better to use A3B4 instead of C3 for minimizing the oil consumption?

Currently switched the oil from vw504 (liqui moly 4200 5w30) to the vw502 oil (Castrol Edge 5w40 still C3) and the consumption got even worse despite increasing the viscocity.

I am really struggling to find the A3B4 5w40 oil with peace of mind as nearly nowhere sells this and I can not trust to the genuinity of the oils that I find from small shops who are not global in any way.

I would like to read your opinions about this oil (Castrol Edge 5w40 C3) with Vw502 approval on my 2010 audi 1.8 tfsi (cdhb engine).

In my case, to reduce the oil consumption I am thinking to switch to the Castrol Edge 0w40 A3B4. According to the video below it really could make the trick on an Audi about reducing the oil consumption.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH6...ronfnjM5oYvw&start_radio=1&t=379

What do you think?

Cheers.

If the issue is with low tension piston seals, higher viscosity isn't going to help. Your best bet to curb consumption is a lower viscosity so the seals manage to scrape excess oil off the walls. But that also means higher chance of wear. Extra zddp and calcium and moly might help there, or maybe it won't.

But the video you linked didn't say what the cause is, so all just a guess from my part.

Hello all,

Cheers.

Huh.......there are many options for A3/B4 oils in 5w40 in EU......Shell (GTL)....Mobil1 (various oil bases...depending on viscosity)

What do you want to use actually? Because you seems to be a little bit confused here
smile.gif
A3/B4 or C3?

Hello all,

Cheers.

What was oil consumption with C3? What is with Castrol 5W40? Just because oil is thicker does not mean lower consumption. Also, take into consideration that VW 504.00/507.00 oils are almost W40 oils.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Hello all,

Cheers.

What was oil consumption with C3? What is with Castrol 5W40? Just because oil is thicker does not mean lower consumption. Also, take into consideration that VW 504.00/507.00 oils are almost W40 oils.

About 1 lt every 1000 km. And yes with Castrol Edge 5w40 (c3). Sometimes less than that sometimes more than that especially in city driving.
Nearly no consumption on a long drive.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kamele0N
Hello all,

Cheers.

Huh.......there are many options for A3/B4 oils in 5w40 in EU......Shell (GTL)....Mobil1 (various oil bases...depending on viscosity)

What do you want to use actually? Because you seems to be a little bit confused here
smile.gif
A3/B4 or C3?

There are not many options where I live in regards to A3B4.

In regards to Mobil 5w40. There is no Mobil 1 5w40, however there is Mobil Super 3000 5w40. It is advertised as fully synthetic and has vw502 approval. It is also an A3B4 oil as well. But definitely not a Mobil 1. I dont know if that matters alot at Mobil ?

As you can see from the video below, this guy improved the oil consumption on his audi by switching to castrol supercar 10w60 oil. But my audi is with a turbo so I do not want to go beyond 5wXX.

I am in between Castrol Edge 0w40 a3b4, Shell 5w40 a3b4 (which I can not find at the moment) , Mobil 5w40, Mobil 5w50
Mobil 5w50 is also available as FS X1 which is without any VW approval, and I am not sure if it will cause any issue.

As I understand A3B4 is for petrol and C3 is for diesel engines...I wonder if C3 oils make oil consumption much worse...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72I6DxMB0BI&t=622s

Originally Posted by PimTac
There are a couple of recent threads on this very subject.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5395423/oil-selection-query#Post5395423

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...need-help-on-info-about-oils#Post5409986

Like I said before, it's deja vu all over again. I'm not sure what the OP is trying to get answered here.

Question is clear. I wonder whether what I watch on the video link which I shared is true and whether a3b4 will protect the engine better and help oil consumption get better than a c3 oil ?

C3 is about reduced ash formation, so not much difference to be expected with the faulty TFSI rings as they're on the wet side. One A3/B4 5W-40 highly regarded for some exceptional cleanliness in general is the Kroon Polytech.

For final playing around with such an engine before having to exchange anyway there might be routes of aggressive cleaning attempts like there once had been with Mazda's Zoom-Zoom-cleaner for the Renesis engines.

In Europe you should be able to get Shell 5W40, Total 5W40, Elf 5W40 (probably same as Total), Motul 5W40....A3/B4 and MB 229.5 approval as cherry on top. They are literally everywhere ?

Also some lesser known, Igol, Yacco, Repsol, Agip/Eni...

5W40 C3 is another story, except for Valvoline?

I'd go with some Total Quartz 9000 Energy 5W40. Cheap, MB229.5 approval.

Hello all,

Cheers.

About 1 lt every 1000 km. And yes with Castrol Edge 5w40 (c3). Sometimes less than that sometimes more than that especially in city driving.

What is your highway driving regime. I am thinking evaporation loss due to higher oil temperature in the city.
Check Mobil1 ESP 5W30 VW504.00/507.00. It ahs pretty low Noack.

I would try a non VW502 such as a conventional 10w40 A3/B4 and give that a try if a 5w40 A3/B4 VW502 is not working for you.

I would not expect to see much of a difference in terms of consumption with a (mid SAPS) C3 A3\B4 vs a (High SAPS) VW502 A3/B4 especially with European fuel. US fuel is a different story.

Also, take into consideration that VW 504.00/507.00 oils are almost W40 oils.

That's an unexpected mistake for you to make! VW 504 00/507 00 oils can only be 0W-30 or 5W-30.

Originally Posted by weasley
Also, take into consideration that VW 504.00/507.00 oils are almost W40 oils.

That's an unexpected mistake for you to make! VW 504 00/507 00 oils can only be 0W-30 or 5W-30.

edy must be getting old
lol.gif

Hello all,

Cheers.

What is your highway driving regime. I am thinking evaporation loss due to higher oil temperature in the city.
Check Mobil1 ESP 5W30 VW504.00/507.00. It ahs pretty low Noack.

Mostly driving short distances in the city where the consumption is at max. But I drive very very gently and always on low rpms as I already have an oil consumption problem. I also wait between 30-60 seconds on idle after starting the car and before stopping the engine.

You are right it could be evaporation loss as well. But the excessive amount is not normal at all.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
I would try a non VW502 such as a conventional 10w40 A3/B4 and give that a try if a 5w40 A3/B4 VW502 is not working for you.

I would not expect to see much of a difference in terms of consumption with a (mid SAPS) C3 A3\B4 vs a (High SAPS) VW502 A3/B4 especially with European fuel. US fuel is a different story.

So there wont be difference in terms of consumption between two 5w40 oils where one of them is C3 and the other A3B4?

Other question is that would it make more sense to use mobil 5w50 FS X1 for the turbo and other lubricating parts instead of conventional 10w40, as 5w50 sounds like it is closer to 5w30 and 5w40 in terms of fast flow on cold starts?

Mobil 5w50 Peak Life had Vw505 approval at least which is not VW502, however in most oils VW502 and 505 used together. But Mobil 5w50 FS X1 which is the only 5w50 available here does not even have VW505 approval.

I have also checked the specs of Mobil 5w50 Peaklife versus FS X1, but I am unable to reach to a conclusion. Is there much difference in terms of protection, consumption, thickness, reliability between these two versions of Mobil ?

Last edited:
My coworker is going through 4-5qts in his 2013 Audi with a 2.0. Apparently some have a pcv issue, I'm ordering an updated part to try on it, otherwise it needs an overhaul which is also common on them. Just over 100k miles.

Not sure if this is a possibility on the 1.8 also?

Back