A REAL oil stash!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Oil Stash LvL 13 achieved!...‚ðŸ‘

Best comment so far!
lol.gif

I only have about 50 litres, so I'll concede this time.

Makes my 98 qts (~93 L) look small. Even at my peak I had only ~130 qts.

I know being in Canada makes it harder to get the really good deals, but $13/jug is not low enough for me to hoard (but agree, $13 is much better than $55).
Anything more than $2/qt synthetic I pass on.

Do you have any type of inventory/spreadsheet with info on what you have?

I made one up after I found 2 gallons of oil that I did not even know I had when I was moving some stuff around in the garage.
I now know how much oil, what weight, and even price (both for the oil as well as average cost ($1.15/qt)).
I also have a note for what oil each vehicle will get next

And for those that don't understand, you don't have to.
If the OP feels a need for this much oil (and sounds like he goes through a lot), then why is is a concern of anyone else?
I am sure everyone has something in their life (guns, sports, cars, motorcycles, etc) that others think they are "wasting" money on as well.
I know for me, it is a little hobby to find deals, and just happens to be a hobby that saves me money on something that will be used.
I have the space to store it, so that is not a problem.
I will use it eventually, and have no vehicles (and no plans to buy any) that require weird specific specs.
Heck, all vehicles I currently service could still use SM oil (although I would prefer SN+ in my GDI engines)

Originally Posted by atikovi
Wonder what the local fire marshall might have to say about that stash.

Why would they be involved? And what would be the issues?
They are in DOT approved transportation containers stored in metal cabinets.
A 5 gallon jug of gasoline is more of an issue than this.

Im ever so slowly using up my stash... Im not going to build another stash. I will keep one oil change in stock for each car/mower, and that's it. What a drag having to inventory it, store it, move it, pick through it, rotate out the oldest stuff first.

Last edited:
I mean, at what point does the savings just get lost because of the initial cash outlay? Even at $20 (which is probably low) per jug if you have 700L that's 140 jugs, which is $2800.

I'm all for stocking up when stuff is on sale. However, we know Canadian Tire has a name brand synthetic on sale for ~$30 every day, a different brand a week on rotation. Roughly twice a month it will be Pennzoil with the rebate also available. It's not like it goes on sale for Black Friday once a year and that's it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
I mean, at what point does the savings just get lost because of the initial cash outlay? Even at $20 (which is probably low) per jug if you have 700L that's 140 jugs, which is $2800.

I'm all for stocking up when stuff is on sale. However, we know Canadian Tire has a name brand synthetic on sale for ~$30 every day, a different brand a week on rotation. Roughly twice a month it will be Pennzoil with the rebate also available. It's not like it goes on sale for Black Friday once a year and that's it.

I'm at about 50qts and that's enough for me. In the event I should find myself with no oil on hand Wally's has the 6qt box of ProDS for just $19.97 or I can get 5qts of Supreme for $12 and change.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
Im ever so slowly using up my stash... Im not going to build another stash. I will keep one oil change in stock for each car/mower, and that's it. What a drag having to inventory it, store it, move it, pick through it, rotate out the oldest stuff first.

I keep telling myself that, but then I find a killer deal for oil.
The most recent being the Mobil 1 deal where I got 20 qts of Mobil 1 HM and 4 M1 filters for $25 total after rebate.
At the current $23/jug oil and $10 filter price at Walmart, that would normally be $143 with tax for me.
I am making myself not buy more M1 and using the rebates for family members (since the oil will be used in their vehicles).
I had debated on trying a double dip on the current PepBoys $15 rebate and the Mobil 1 rebate (would work out to about $4/jug), but so far have been able to resist.

I am using my most expensive oil first to get my cost per qt down (and luckily my most expensive is my oldest, some $2/qt Magnatec and $2.25/qt PPHM), but even that is SN oil from 2017.

You make me look like a slob. My garage is tight for two cars, a mower, and a workbench. I've got 5 jugs and about 3 quarts sitting on the floor along the east wall. I bow to you.

well done, I have a large stash , but have not bought any oil in 3 years. Got most of mine on AZ clearances couple with rebates, lot of it was free. Also have 9 cars, so always changing oil. Did get a free oil change courtesy of Jeep wave program, 0w-20 Penzoil synthetic, mopar filter and tire rotation on wifes wrangler, didnt feel like dealing with tires in 90 degree heat. have 3 more to use. But first time in 40 yrs I had someone else do it, but guess when it is free, why not.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
No need for 40 years worth of oil changes.

He could have them in his will.

Stashing oil is one thing. But there's no mention of stashing oil filters, which is good. You only need one little hiccup where someone hits you and it's what do I do with my stash of filters.

Originally Posted by kwijibo
Stashing oil is one thing. But there's no mention of stashing oil filters, which is good. You only need one little hiccup where someone hits you and it's what do I do with my stash of filters.

Give them away. Sell them on Craigslist. Return them.

I actually have 2 M1C-151A that I bought for $3.50 each (and used them to get the full $17 rebate instead of $12, so they basically paid me to buy them) that I no longer need since my mom traded in her Vue.
I will put them on Craigslist for $10 for both, I will take 5. If they don't sell, maybe give them away here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back