A rare sight today? Geo Metro

I put my old slant six Dodge truck to work today. I was heading home on a secondary road, hauling a bit more than 1000 lbs. and traveling about 45 mph in a 40 zone. I was passed, slowly, by an early Geo Metro/ Suzuki Cultus hatch. It seemed in pretty good shape and by the sound of the fart muffler, was a 3 cyl. 1.0 lt. I was in the perfect vehicle to be passed by that car:LOL:.

It occurred to me that I haven't seen one of those in quite a while here in the rust belt. I've known two people casually that had purchased new one's decades ago and both ran them into the ground at respectably high mileages. I believe that they had a rep for doing 40 mpg or more with a manual. Crash unworthiness aside, I had once thought that the later models with the 4 cyl. would have been a good commuter.

up until about 4-5 years ago my neighbor's son had one 3 cyl . he ran it into the ground, i think he finally junked it do to rust and not able to pass inspection

A friend of mine has a green one missing all 4 hub caps. He took a turn too fast apparently and folded the vehicle over the passenger lower control arm. Could have been a bad ball joint among other things, but it’s still funny to think about.

He drove it through too deep a puddle and ruined his headlight wiring.

I also remember the oil pan leaked oil. I helped him replace it. His dad was stuck on buying old school cork gasket. Okay whatever. I was only 18 at the time and wasn’t about to argue. I remember the oil pressure sensor was held on with what appeared to be wood screws. The hole in the pan was very oversized to the sensor so we had to RTV the heck out of it. The thing never did stop leaking and we would have been better off leaving it alone.

got one down the street, white hatch, Gen II. But he has three or four vehicles, 'Burb, Caprice Classic on jackstands, Geo, have no idea if it's the triple or 4 cyl.

Worked with a guy who had a 125 mile a day round trip commute. This was before the Prius, and before telecommuting. He would pick up a first generation stick shift Geo Metro two door as cheap as he could, and then run it into the ground. Then, he'd sell it for scrap, and find another one and repeat.

At a different job, worked with a guy who did the same thing with first generation stick shift Neons. He got to the point where he'd swap engines and transmissions himself in his driveway, if the car was still worth it, instead of junking them. He and his wife both drove them.

Coworker had one.....a manual. One day at a yard, a single small wheel which caught my eye was identified as a Geo Metro wheel.

A day or two later my coworker mentioned he "busted a wheel on his Metro". I even picked it up and brought it in to work for him.

I bought a well used one from a guy who's wife wouldn't let their grandkids ride in it. Smart lady. It had over 160k, he'd hoped to make 200k but I don't think it would have. Used it for my business around town, never had to worry about finding parking. Never had it over 45.

I liked the idea back in the day, still do, but after driving a Mirage (which I still admire) I can't imagine driving long distance in one. Not on the highway. I mean, you get used to what you have and all, but still.

FWIW, with all the megacab 4x4's out there, driving any sedan feels like piloting a rollerskate now.

The 3 cyl MT was a 50MPG car IIRC. Actually it may have been the highest MPG car at the time. I remember my father thinking about buying one for the super low cost of driving it could provide... But never did because it was really only a 1-2 person car.

I always thought that the early 90's geo metro 3 cyl convertibles were cute.

Last time gas got this expensive I saw the first Chevette that I had seen in years. In fact two of them in different parts of Maryland.
1977_chevrolet_chevette_IMG_9290-3.jpg

Remember the back page of Consumer Reports when they had the “Selling It” section? Readers submitted humorous or interesting advertising that they found.

I remember one for the Metro where the car was so sparse on features that the dealer listed “internal combustion engine” as a feature.

I am not kidding.

Back