A Paste from Google News about Gasoline Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by GROUCHO MARX:
"Those who conserve will enable those who do not"
==============================================================

This is why gas taxes should be raised in order to establish tax credits for those who conserve.

Absolutely. Tax the "Gas Guzzlers" until they cry uncle. I drive a 12 cylinder car, but I don't consider myself a gas guzzler as I drive four (4) miles to work and (4) miles back home. That's about 2/3 gallon / day. Maybe 1/2 gallon / day if I go for economy and drive the GTO.

So far as I am concerned, the true gas guzzlers are all of these cars I see on television in the evening, choking 4, 5, even 8 lane freeways to a standstill as they commute to and from work. All of these people that have made a choice to live somewhere other than where they work, to have these 20, 30, 40 mile or longer commutes to work, these are the people that are the true gas guzzlers.

They have abandonded their cities and contributed to their decline and urban decay, they have increased the demand for motor fuels and driven up the price for everybody, and I am simply aghast at how they cry and whine about the price of gas, and try to point fingers at everybody but themselves. I don't care how good the fuel economy figures are for a vehicle, if a person does not live where they work, they're a gas guzzler.

No doubt they will complain that the housing is bad, schools are bad, blah, blah, blah, whatever excuse for not living where they work to justify being a gas guzzler. If they had not moved out of the cities to start with, the urban problems would not exist. I think it is called reaping what you sow .....

Tax the gas guzzlers into oblivion, I'm all for it, but don't limit it to machines.

quote:

Originally posted by wavinwayne:
Would the ethanol from Brazil burn right in U.S. cars equipped to run on corn-based E85? The reason I ask is because the ethanol in Brazil is made from sugar cane, not corn.

Ethanol cannot be mixed with gasoline unless it's pure ethanol (200 proof). Once it's fermented and distilled, it's run through other processes to remove any remaining water and impurities. It shouldn't matter what plant is fermented to get the alcohol. The end result is the same.

quote:

They have abandonded their cities and contributed to their decline and urban decay, they have increased the demand for motor fuels and driven up the price for everybody, and I am simply aghast at how they cry and whine about the price of gas, and try to point fingers at everybody but themselves. I don't care how good the fuel economy figures are for a vehicle, if a person does not live where they work, they're a gas guzzler.

No doubt they will complain that the housing is bad, schools are bad, blah, blah, blah, whatever excuse for not living where they work to justify being a gas guzzler. If they had not moved out of the cities to start with, the urban problems would not exist. I think it is called reaping what you sow .....

Tax the gas guzzlers into oblivion, I'm all for it, but don't limit it to machines.

Most of your suburban sprawl is due to housing costs. Many people work in King of Prussia around here. To buy a 4 bedroom colonial in KofP is about $500-600k. The same could be had for 350k 15-20 miles out. So, for "half price" you get (cough-cough) fresh air, new schools (which the sprawl requires ..jacking up taxes for the indiginous creatures), and safe neighborhoods ..at a whopping discount to the very expensive "clean living" in KofP.

There are people around here that commute well over 50 miles one way to jobs in Phila. The commuter traffic is in semi-full swing @ 4:30a.m. My FIL was the acting director of the Delaware River Port Authority for 15years. He hit the rural area from Phila in the 60's ...commuted to the Walt Whitman bridge with Campbell Soup execs that worked in Camden, NJ. Every day was a 12 hour day ..approx a 40 mile commute.

I would do it too for the right $$ figure. I've got one daughter in college and one scheduled to go into college in a little over a year. Moving is not a option with the costs attached to it.

Fuel is still way too cheap. If it wouldn't be corrupted and disappear into a government blackhole, I'd support the higher taxation of it to induce sensible consumption. Then you would find that people would see the sense of working locally ..local economies would florish ..assuming the added fuel taxes got return to the regions that they came from.

I have to agree with Win and Mitch.

Someone might maintain an 8 cylinder SUV for weekend use. Or delivering firewood. Or tradesman use. Doesn't really matter.

That vehicle per se should not be taxed, just what extra fuel it uses.

If one manages to get by their week on 5-10 gallons fantastic, no matter what the mix of vehicles.

Which is why I'm all about excise tax and insurance reform that makes taxing and insuring only the most liable vehicle in one's personal fleet, letting a second car or motorcyle "ride free". After all a person can only drive one vehicle at a time.

Also fuel should be taxed about 30 cents more, that money would be refunded the first seven gallons or so per week. Over-the-road truckers etc can get more refunds. Persons with invalid drivers' licenses, deadbeat dads, etc., might not see their refunds.
smile.gif

Supermarkets and big box stores should allow "park and ride" in their outer fringe parking lots, and coordinate with local government/rideshare. Good idea for them really since they can sell coffee etc to people who wait.

Perhaps it would be good to put a tax on crude oil according to how much it cost to obtain access to where it came from. Instead of taxing fuel from Brazil, and not taxing fuel from the Middle East, things should be reversed.

I had an idea on my drive in to work today:

What if each car had an RFID in it. Those people who can better the EPA milage for that vehicle are allowed to refill as often as they like. Those people who get under the EPA limits for there vehicle are permitted one tankfull per week.

This would take about 15% off the consumption burden rather quickly, and make the roads safer and more friendly almost immediately.

*Donning flame protecting suits}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back