A day on the Quads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unlike the folks in Colorado, here in Calgary things are above freezing, and bone dry. A few friends and I took the day off and went exploring some of the trails in an off-road area.

We first found a geocache (that one of my friends had placed about 3 years earlier). Photo isn't great...had to shoot almost straight into the sun...

DSC00280.jpg

Afterwards, we made our way down to the frozen lake you can see off in the distance and held 4-abreast drag-races for about 20 minutes.....miscellaneous juvenile behavior ensued...

Next, we came across what we identified to be a burned out, rolled...generally squashed ~'86 chev S-10 Blazer...

DSC00296.jpg

This is us loading up near the end of the day..dusty, tired, but having enjoyed a great day....for those of you that are into quads..

DSC00301.jpg

On the way out we ran into a few female Moose. You can't get the feel for how big these things are....unless you can get near one...

DSC00305.jpg

when the moose stood right beside that Jeep XJ that was ahead of us, it looked like the Jeep could have driven underneath it's belly. These are really huge animals.....especially if you run into a bull-moose (we didn't today).

Another shot of this girl....for perspective car guys will identify with...picture a 4 door toyota Yaris on legs....(probably 8 feet high at the back, 10 feet high at the ears)

DSC00308.jpg

We went about 85 Km's today on some really technical trails. A terrible wind-storm had gone through this area recently and around 1 in 20 trees were uprooted and plain knocked over. Luckily someone had cleared most of the trails with a chainsaw and winches. We did drive right over a number of trees blocking the trails though. It was a gruelling day with alot of Km's on some very rugged and technical trails!

Throughout the summer there are parts of the trails in creekbeds etc. that turns the terrain into muskeg (mushy, watery mud with grass)or creates huge mud-bogs, and makes certain portions of the trails impassable. With everything frozen solid, putting on the Km's (without having to backtrack or get unstuck) was a breeze.

Good times with friends..

Awesome. Thanks for sharing. I wish we had scenery like this where I lived. You can't go anywhere without a billion cars being around you.

Looks like you had a BLAST Jim. One of my buddies works for a landscaping company; his boss has two brand new Polaris Quads that we go out on quite a bit.

I can't think of a funner way to spend a day out in the boonies. Those suckers can go ANYWHERE! Fun Times, and like Buster said, thanks for sharing.
cheers.gif

Looks like great fun, and makes me homesick. I grew up on a farm in ND. We had a '87 Honda Fourtrax 250. My parents still have it, and it runs like a champ. I drove it at Thanksgiving.

Nice shots, Jim. Beautiful shot of the moose! Incredible how massive they are ... the pic doesn't do them justice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back