A/C very high low side pressure

New to me 2003 Honda Insight that was missing the serpentine belt and clutch was all loose. The big bearing was in pieces so I installed a new clutch and coil assembly made for Civics. Diameter is a little less but that shouldn't be a problem in normal driving. Anyway, the air blows ice cold but after a minute, low side is way too high. Ambient around 80°, engine about 1200 rpm, both fans on. Any idea why it might be so high?

IMG_5295.JPG

Maybe 72. Will have to see how it feels on a hot day.
Since you are not weighing refrigerant. I would use a vent clip thermometer, and add refigerant slowly with the a/c on recirculate and fan on high.

When you see 38f-40f out of the vent, stop adding refrigerant. I'm going to imagine that the low side pressure would be around 40 or so.

@Chris142 would be the expert here.

I know Mr. Atikovi knows how to use the gages properly, but for others out there, some folks get the impression those knobs are the on-off for the gauges themselves. Nope, they are the on-off for the connection between each gage and the yellow hose. The knobs should be In the closed position when taking the pressures off the system. I hope that makes sense.

Back