a-500 chrysler TX, no reverse

An Online acquaintance of mine has a 30 year Old Dodge based Roadtrek class B Rv with this A-500 overdrive transmission in it.

She is Elderly, in western Texas, travelling solo, and is stressing, as it will suddenly not go into reverse, and while it does go into first it is apparently struggling very hard to move at all.

I don't really know how to help her.

If any of you are in the Odessa, Texas region.....Well her battery has died as well, and it is supposed to start snowing tomorrow, and she is a good soul who can use a hand.

it might be low on fluid about 45 years ago i had a new yorker all of a sudden it wouldn't move I was on a busy road at the time.I found out that it would go in reverse so instead of calling a tow truck I drove it in reverse for 4 1/2 miles to my home. Put in a quart of trans fluid and it worked perfectly again.

I was hoping you'd chime in Clinebarger. I wanted to PM you on her behalf, but figure you inbox is flooded with similar cries for help, and do not want to add to it.

This elderly lady has added a large stacked plate cooler, and inline magnetic filter, herself.
She did not have it done.
She knows to keep this TXout of overdrive/lockup unless on flat lands and over 55mph.
She has added a temp gauge to it, and knows that nothing but ATF+4 is acceptable for this transmission.

She was patient with me when I reminded her that this Tx needs to have its level checked in neutral on level ground.
I have the same Transmission.

She is trying to decide what to do right now and wants all the info she can get as to what might be wrong, and how to approach having an operable RV again, quickly, without being at the mercy of the dishonest.

I just asked her to do the key dance and check for a code 45, Od solenoid open or shorted as she says it behaves differently in drive in first gear in parking lot when OD off button is pressed, If I understood her correctly.

Well, if push comes to shove, if she can make it to Cline (DFW) or the Precision Transmission guys (Amarillo) at least she won't get ripped off.

I was hoping you'd chime in Clinebarger. I wanted to PM you on her behalf, but figure you inbox is flooded with similar cries for help, and do not want to add to it.

This elderly lady has added a large stacked plate cooler, and inline magnetic filter, herself.
She did not have it done.
She knows to keep this TXout of overdrive/lockup unless on flat lands and over 55mph.
She has added a temp gauge to it, and knows that nothing but ATF+4 is acceptable for this transmission.

She was patient with me when I reminded her that this Tx needs to have its level checked in neutral on level ground.
I have the same Transmission.

She is trying to decide what to do right now and wants all the info she can get as to what might be wrong, and how to approach having an operable RV again, quickly, without being at the mercy of the dishonest.

I just asked her to do the key dance and check for a code 45, Od solenoid open or shorted as she says it behaves differently in drive in first gear in parking lot when OD off button is pressed, If I understood her correctly.

All you need for Reverse is Pressure, Direct Clutch Apply, & Rear Band Apply....With correct ATF level, The odds of it needing a rebuild is quite high.

Thanks.
She's found someone who now has it apart, and whom is apparently criticizing the work of the last person who was inside of it.

Back