$9995 Ford Fiesta 2000 mile report

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the initial purchase discussion see here: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...ford-fiesta-worth-the-gamble#Post5211644

I bought a new 2019 Ford Fiesta S for $9995, plus taxes a couple of months ago. Now that I have driven it 2K miles I thought I would pass along some initial impressions.

*It's an econobox, no question. Nobody ever will confuse it for a Mustang.
*I'm glad it has a manual transmission. I can't imagine how hard that 1.6L engine would have to work to turn a slushbox.
*I wish it had a six speed. At 70mph it's buzzing along at over 3K and I think it could handle highway speeds at less.
*Nothing much is happening below 2000 rpm. Between 2K and 3K it's much more responsive.
*It's getting between 35-38 mpg, so no complaints with gas mileage.
*Build quality is surprisingly good. Seriously, I'm actually impressed with the fit and initial quality.
*It drives better than I expected for an econobox. Not as buzzy or as jarring as I expected.
*Lack of cruise control is significant. I bought a wheel with the controls and will eventually try to enable it on mine.

All in all I feel pretty good about my <$10K new car. Who knows if it all falls apart next week, but so far it's feeling like a pretty good choice over what I was finding in the used market at that price.

thumbsup2.gif

Sounds like a good deal for a brand new car! Its gotta be better than a Versa.

Thing is the Fiesta is regarded as a really good maybe one of the best subcompacts you can buy in Europe, it is constantly rated as one of the best in the UK!
The current US version (not the new version Ford won't give us which also has a regular geared auto box as well as a 6 speed manual) is a slightly better handler than the latest version.

Wife and I akmost never use cruise control. Not something I'd miss. Seems very complicated to retrofit that. Good luck.

Good luck with the Fiesta!

If I found that deal ($10K for a brand new Fiesta 5 speed) I'd jump all over it. I'd even give a bit more for a hatchback version. I once saw an article about a guy who had very high miles on one* (I can't remember exactly but 700k seems to be in my head). I know a lot of guys call this type of car a 'penalty box' but I like simple cars. *the guy picked up and delivered medical labwork IIRC.....he did have to replace the clutches on the crappy DCT a couple of times

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by Elkins45

What's wrong with it? Or do you drive it like you stole it?

What do you mean? Its rated 27/35 30 combined. On Fuelly on all models the Mode is 35mpg so right on.

But I used to get 41 ave on my Jetta S MT6. Possibly after the " whistle blower" compliants the dealer reflashed my DIC mileage minder when they changed the oil and installed the near rear springs.

I bought a new 2019 Ford Fiesta S for $9995, plus taxes a couple of months ago. Now that I have driven it 2K miles I thought I would pass along some initial impressions.

.*I'm glad it has a manual transmission. I can't imagine how hard that 1.6L engine would have to work to turn a slushbox.
*Build quality is surprisingly good. Seriously, I'm actually impressed with the fit and initial quality.
*It drives better than I expected for an econobox. Not as buzzy or as jarring as I expected.
All in all I feel pretty good about my

I had driven a rental automated Fiesta and there was no loss of power around town. Because there was " No Slush in the slush box " - as no lossy torque converter is used on these transmissions. Still I would say you are better off with a MT due to reported reliability issues with the automated version.

I would rank it at the top of sub compacts I had driven at the time - except for lack of real "dig" when you nailed the gas - but only one sample and ot was an autotrans in hot Florida. Killed its genetic brother Mazda2

Great deal! Are these discontinued?

Use the finest Full >real< synthetic oil in these engines.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted by atikovi

What's wrong with it? Or do you drive it like you stole it?

What do you mean? Its rated 27/35 30 combined. On Fuelly on all models the Mode is 35mpg so right on.

I mean that seems pretty low for such a small car. Or maybe the manual transmission is a penalty for gas mileage. My bigger heavier Chevy Cruze automatic got 40 mpg overall, and a full size rental '16 Impala I drove got 35 mpg, albeit at a steady 65 mph highway drive. For a direct comparison, my Chevy Spark CVT was getting over 45 mpg on the highway.

[Linked Image from fototime.com]

Yeah I would expect high 30's too but I've never seen big numbers from Ford over the decades.
Add in that these cars are heavy for their size due to structural and airbag safety trends. With driver and fuel you are around 2700lbs!

Originally Posted by JC1
Sounds like you got a great deal! Where is the fiesta assembled?

Mexico.

If all the Mexican cars are as well-fitted as this one I may have to rethink buying a Mazda3. When my 2012 was wrecked in 2016 I bought a 6 instead because my 2012 was a Japanese car but by then they had moved production of the 3 to Mexico. If I need to replace my 6 I might seriously consider a Mexican-built replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back