99 Dodge Ram 2500 - 18K miles w/T6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cummins diesel engine. Bosch D+ filter.
Left column is latest, with 18K on T6, middle column is the same OCI at 11K and the right column is another OCI with Rotella T with 7600.

Html:

Iron 26 19 16

Chrom 4 2 1

Nickel 0 0 0

Alum 1 0 1

Copper 2 0 0

Lead 0 1 1

Tin 0 0 0

Cadmi 0 0 0

Silv 0 0 0

Vanad 0 0 0

Silico 5 4 5

Sodiu 4 5 2

Potas 1 2 6

Titan 0 0 0

Moly 67 58 1

Antim 1 0 0

Mang 0 0 0

Lith 0 0 0

Boron 39 43 43

Magn 1197 1067 100

Calc 1009 974 2263

Bari 0 0 0

Phos 1157 1002 1180

Zinc 1420 1255 1311

[email protected] 14.5 15.3

TBN 5.86 5.87 6.61

Oxi 13 14 15

Nit 9 10 7

This got a "0" Normal from Polaris.

Obviously there are some sample to sample variances.

Nothing here to complain about.

Maybe 22K next run.

Last edited:
Nice report. With TBN of 5.86 after 18k miles, I think with the same driving condition it can be extended to 25k miles without problems.

Extension is a great idea here.

Low wear.
Low contamination.
Strong TBN remains.
Low ox and nitration.

I would recommend getting a Fumoto valve, or some other type of sample port, and testing along the way. That way you can check it without dumping it. This load could have continued for sure, as it was no where near any reasonable condemnation limit.

At some point, with greater extension, filter intervals may play into this as well. But you'll need PC counts to track that.

Even if you were to cry uncle at 25k miles, and just make that an arbitrary limit, at least you're way ahead of those who dump their oil every 5-8k miles. You're getting some excellent value out of the lube and still seeing excellent engine protection.

Last edited:
Did you cut the filter open? I'd be interested to see how much debris was in it, the D+ D3520 I used & cut looked great (but with a lot less miles). So much for Bosch/Puro stating they were only good for 3K!

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Extension is a great idea here.

Low wear.
Low contamination.
Strong TBN remains.
Low ox and nitration.

I would recommend getting a Fumoto valve, or some other type of sample port, and testing along the way. That way you can check it without dumping it. This load could have continued for sure, as it was no where near any reasonable condemnation limit.

At some point, with greater extension, filter intervals may play into this as well. But you'll need PC counts to track that.

Even if you were to cry uncle at 25k miles, and just make that an arbitrary limit, at least you're way ahead of those who dump their oil every 5-8k miles. You're getting some excellent value out of the lube and still seeing excellent engine protection.

Note - I did take a sample at 11K on this OCI. I clean around it then crack the drain plug, let a cup flow then get a sample. I pour the cup back in.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Iron wear is increasing with longer OCI's but, looks very good overall IMHO!

I would not say iron wear is increasing. I would only say that the quantity of iron contaminants is accumulating as expected.

Looks good!

I have not studied cummins uoa reports. Is it normal to show that much chromium? I don't know what level would be of concern, but my experience with heavy duty diesels is chromium only showing when I pushed too far and tbn was very low.

You clearly have lots of life left, oil is in great shape. I'm just curious if that's normal for that engine family.

Thanks for testing and posting.

Originally Posted By: dustyroads
Looks good!

I have not studied cummins uoa reports. Is it normal to show that much chromium? I don't know what level would be of concern, but my experience with heavy duty diesels is chromium only showing when I pushed too far and tbn was very low.

You clearly have lots of life left, oil is in great shape. I'm just curious if that's normal for that engine family.

Break-in of the rings? Its only got 188K, so not fully broken in yet!

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: dustyroads
Looks good!

Break-in of the rings? Its only got 188K, so not fully broken in yet!

Ha!
11.gif

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Iron wear is increasing with longer OCI's but, looks very good overall IMHO!

I would not say iron wear is increasing. I would only say that the quantity of iron contaminants is accumulating as expected.

Yes, that's what I meant...Ooooops!
smile.gif

The Bosch D+ was cut open and while the media was colored like dirty diesel motor oil, there was not much else to notice. A string tied around the media. No visible dirt on the media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back