'97 Tercel coupe comments please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: onebigunion
Originally Posted By: daves87rs
These are the new prices guys...get used to it.

I'm seeing 95-96 Cavaliers (worth maybe 1200) going for at least 4k here.....

Are they "going for" that or are people trying to do some price gouging based on gas price fears? I can not imagine someone paying 4k for a 16 year old Cavalier.

I'm thinking fears...

daves87rs said:
These are the new prices guys...get used to it.

I'm seeing 95-96 Cavaliers (worth maybe 1200) going for at least 4k here.....

YES!!
happy2.gif

If this Tercel was the end all of Tercel's then I'd pay $3k. It would have to be a serious champ to pay that much for it though. I paid too much for my del Sol when I got it but it was the end all of stock del Sols. So I was willing to pay the price. Thats a way to look at it. If you are into Tercel's that is. If not just pass on it or bust his balls on the price.

'05 Camry with 103k listed in paper here for 4300. Not as good fuel economy but a MUCH more substantial car. This is the stuff that makes 15 year old auction Cavaliers and Tercels going 3-4k or more pretty hard to swallow.

well I bought it..$2750 pretty clean one owner prior to the flipper..runs good..caleed the original owner and he wasn't sure if he had the timing belt changed but said he had it into Toyota for everything at 60k./108k now..does anyone know if this even has a belt? if so is it also interference type heads?

tia

Opinions: Just change it. Water pump, too. I'm not as much of a Tercel fan as I once was, and for $2750 I would have been looking at 03-05 Cavaliers with Ecotec engines. I don't buy into Honda/Toyota hype and think it's sick to see 15 year old import cars selling for what a 5 year old domestic car brings. Not trying to rain on your parade, though, and if you keep up on the maintenance, there's no reason you can't double or triple the odometer reading.

Now for facts. The 1997 service interval is 60K. The 1998 service interval is 90K. Same engine. 5EFE is non-interference by most information I can find online. If the belt was changed at 60K then it's due again at 120K. You've got 12K miles left. Have it CHECKED for sure, if it's a good looking belt and there's no oil leaks in the timing cover area, you can wait 'til 120K.

The previous owner might have taken it in for the 60K service and the dealer may have said, your belt is fine, you can wait until 90K. Worse yet, come 90K, he might have forgotten about the belt thinking the next change was 120K. Now you're looking at 108K on the original belt.

$400 timing belt replacement or $2750 to buy another car? I'd replace the belt as soon as possible with no service record as proof of replacement at 60K.

Status
Not open for further replies.