97 M3 and 5w40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all! I was wondering if this was OK to use? I bought the M3 used of course, pretty sure the previous owner was going by the OLM in the car as it has some gunk visible through the fill hole. I was thinking Rotella 5w40? I saw some people on other forums using it in there vehicles, but I trust the people here more than anywhere else since we are a bit more picky about oils etc.

I was recommended M1 0w40 but it is impossible to find around here. None of the autozones, oreillys, walmarts, or advanced carry it.

Any help would be appreciated...

If you can't find M1 0w40 or M1 15w50, I do not see an issue using t6 5w40, plenty of people do use it in BMW's.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use it in the MB...great choice for a Euro car like yours...

The T6 meets API: SM, SL, SJ, SH So, as long as your car specs one of those, or earlier, like SG, you're set...

Of course, the M1 0W40 is a great oil...just a hair more pricey...wish I could tell you which one would do better cleaning, but both my Volvo and MB engines are squeaky clean inside...

Last edited:
That oil is the best bang for your buck oil available. I use it in my forged 4.6 2v mustang and my 5.3 chevy 4x4. I also use it in my 1100 v-star. And for the price it can't be beat. If you got your heart set on a 0w-40 rotella makes the t-5 in that viscosity.

5w-40 is an acceptable viscosity grade, but more important than the viscosity grade is that it meets the right performance specs. Look for something that carries BMW LL-01 or LL-98 approval. If you can't find that, look for something that meets ACEA A3. If you can't find that either, Rotella T6 5w-40 is probably the best locally available substitute.

However, if it comes to that, I would strongly suggest seeking an online source for your oil and ordering it. These cars definitely reward holding out (and shelling out) for the right parts and fluids.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Mongo, I tried two different walmarts (the two biggest ones in the area) and neither had 0w-40.

I went ahead and got the 5w40 as I thought I read somewhere, that the diesel oils have more detergent properties. If that's true then I will most likely have a squeaky clean motor in my M3, just like my Vic. Could eat off that dipstick if you like the taste of 5w20...

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
5w-40 is an acceptable viscosity grade, but more important than the viscosity grade is that it meets the right performance specs. Look for something that carries BMW LL-01 or LL-98 approval. If you can't find that, look for something that meets ACEA A3. If you can't find that either, Rotella T6 5w-40 is probably the best locally available substitute.

However, if it comes to that, I would strongly suggest seeking an online source for your oil and ordering it. These cars definitely reward holding out (and shelling out) for the right parts and fluids.

Did the '97 spec LL?

I am not a BMW guy...but I thought the extended drain was more recent than '97...I know the T6 meets API: CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, CF as well as API: SM, SL, SJ, SH

But I doubt that Shell spent, or would be willing to spend, the effort on the testing for an ACEA or BMW cert...it would be outside their intended customer base for the T6...but I would be willing to bet that the T6 would do well in extended drain use...

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

+1 get the correct oil next time

BMW LL01 oils available in North America include M1 0W40 and Castrol Syntec 0W30. BMW 5W30 from the dealer is also a good option.

BMW LL98 oil includes Castrol Syntec 5W40

T6 5W40 should be OK but it is speced and designed for use in diesels.

Sure it's made for diesels however it resists shear effectively and it's detergency is fantastic. The m1 0w-40 shears down so fast you could time it on a stopwatch. Just because mobil pays big bucks to BMW to recommend their oil doesn't mean it's any good.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Sure it's made for diesels however it resists shear effectively and it's detergency is fantastic. The m1 0w-40 shears down so fast you could time it on a stopwatch. Just because mobil pays big bucks to BMW to recommend their oil doesn't mean it's any good.

BMW doesn't recommend Mobil, they recommend Castrol. Mobil pays BMW big bucks to get the LL-01 approval, so you've got it the other way around. The FACT (this is not an opinion) that the oil is used by a host of racing teams, has a list of manufacturer approvals as long as my arm AND has been EXTENSIVELY tested by a HUGE list of manufacturers and is the factory fill, AND recommended fill for a long list of insanely high performance applications DOES in fact mean it is not just a good oil, but an EXCELLENT oil.

And it does NOT always shear, for the love of God, I'm not sure why this always gets paraded around this site like it is an absolute fact!! In my own UOA's, it didn't shear, and there have been recent UOA's of it where it didn't shear either! There are applications that shear oil. ANY oil! And there are others that simply do not.

Originally Posted By: Nephets
Thanks for the replies guys.

Mongo, I tried two different walmarts (the two biggest ones in the area) and neither had 0w-40.

Did you only look for "jugs" of M1 0W-40? At Walmart you are only going to find that oil in single quarts.

Most of the Auto Part stores, AutoZone, Advance Auto, etc also carry it.

Isn't Tulsa a pretty big town by Oklahoma standards? You gotta have some Euro Spec oil handy in those stores!

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: Clevy

BMW doesn't recommend Mobil, they recommend Castrol. Mobil pays BMW big bucks to get the LL-01 approval, so you've got it the other way around. The FACT (this is not an opinion) that the oil is used by a host of racing teams, has a list of manufacturer approvals as long as my arm AND has been EXTENSIVELY tested by a HUGE list of manufacturers and is the factory fill, AND recommended fill for a long list of insanely high performance applications DOES in fact mean it is not just a good oil, but an EXCELLENT oil.

And it does NOT always shear, for the love of God, I'm not sure why this always gets paraded around this site like it is an absolute fact!! In my own UOA's, it didn't shear, and there have been recent UOA's of it where it didn't shear either! There are applications that shear oil. ANY oil! And there are others that simply do not.

The M1 0W40 had a great UOA in my Volvo T5...didn't shear in a 7800+ mile run...was on the light side of the -40 range, very close to the new viscosity...it is excellent...

Really depends what this engine specs...and finding an oil that meets that spec...but I thought '97 was still before the days of LL and extended drain...anyone have that answer?

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Did the '97 spec LL?

I'm pretty sure it specced a "BMW Special Oil" before LL-98 came out. It was later back-specced to LL-98 and then LL-01.

I am not a BMW guy...but I thought the extended drain was more recent than '97...I know the T6 meets API: CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, CF as well as API: SM, SL, SJ, SH

AFAIK, BMW's LL specs are based on ACEA specs, in this case A3, which is a much tougher spec than at least the gas specs from API.

Not saying T6 wouldn't meet or beat ACEA A3 performance levels, of course. Just saying that without the official stamp, it's a gamble.

But I doubt that Shell spent, or would be willing to spend, the effort on the testing for an ACEA or BMW cert...it would be outside their intended customer base for the T6...but I would be willing to bet that the T6 would do well in extended drain use...

Agreed on all points. Again, I'm not saying it won't work; just that it's a gamble.

First off, nice car.
This would be an e36, right?
I don't think BMW had any particular spec until LL-98 came along the following year. Outside of the "special oils" which were specific brand and grade recommendations available from your BMW dealer, BMW recommended quite thick grades at the time.
I think there are two issues involved. First, you must use an oil meeting A3 HTHS requirements, second, you may use an oil that allows you to extend drains out to the limits of your car's MM.
If you don't really care about extending drains past 5-6K, any oil meeting A3 would work in your engine.
T6 is not rated as meeting A3, but I'm pretty sure it would if SOPUS tested it to that standard.
According to Ashalnd, Valvoline Maxlife SB and Durablend 10W-40s both meet A3.
Any oil meeting either BMW spec would also meet A3, although not every oil meeting A3 would meet the BMW LL-XX requirements.
My e36 is at the other end of the performance spectrum from your M3, but I have found M1 15W-50 to be the most suitable oil for it.
My OM shows that BMW at the time considered 15W-50 to be a virtual all-climate oil, suitable down to -4F.
Were I you, I would seek out M1 0W-40. It isn't that hard to find. If I saw reasonable consumption with it, I'd stay with it.
If consumption seemed high, I'd then consider a fifty grade oil.
I have not tried M1 0W-40 in my car, but I probably will at some point.
It is now available in jugs, as well.

Thanks again for the comments guys. This car probably won't go past 5k oil change intervals. I really opted for the Rotella for its detergent properties as this car is a 'fixer' for me. I hope to NEVER let this car go. I will be seeking out M1 0w40 for my next OCI. I'm sure I can find it, I just went to 5 stores and realized it was no where to be found in quarts or the big jugs. Maybe if I go to the 'Richey' part of town or the upscale suburbs, I might be able to find it next time.

In the end, I'll probably wind up being an Oil Hoarder like some of ya'll here....

I wouldn't sweat the Mobil 1 0w-40 too much. I use Mobil 1 High Mileage in my '95 540i. It's easier to find and cheaper than the 0w-40 and I suspect that it works just as well or better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back