96 Civic 2200mi Supertech Full Syn 5w30

My problem was coupled with two things, first the claim the flashpoint was so low and inferred the fuel % but that the viscosity was in the 5w20 range for a 5w30 oil. Now that we find out the test was in error I can forgive error but it shakes the trust that the numbers were accurate in the report. I do get what you're saying but for me guessing just disappeared when an error this much was revealed. I know no lab is perfect but I'm just questioning everything now.
Just so you know, we have also seen reports on here where OAI or NAPA or whoever, were the ones in error. Bottom line is it is unlikely for any of the labs to be in error, but all of them have the possibility. Because Blackstone is the most-used lab, their errors will be brought to attention here more often. Not because they make more errors, but that it is more likely to notice, say 1% of a big number of samples than it is to notice 1% of a small number of samples. Best of luck to you!

thanks dezlpwr! I am definitely changing labs for the next testing, I am looking at OAI! How do you make sure they do the GC (gas chromatography) for the fuel level? Last time I had them test it was estimated.

But it will be good to have an actual number, sad that Blackstone has to guess.
OAI uses the GC method all the time to test for fuel dilution. You don't need to request it. To my knowledge, Blackstone does not have the equipment to do a GC test.

OAI uses the GC method all the time to test for fuel dilution. You don't need to request it. To my knowledge, Blackstone does not have the equipment to do a GC test.
ok cool, thanks for the answer. Just odd that a couple years ago when I used OAI, the fuel section was "estimated" that's why I was making sure to get the GC method next time when I sent it to OAI.

ok cool, thanks for the answer. Just odd that a couple years ago when I used OAI, the fuel section was "estimated" that's why I was making sure to get the GC method next time when I sent it to OAI.
Yeah I'm not sure on that as I've only been with OAI for about 6 months after switching from Blackstone. Not sure how long they've been using the GC method. If Blackstone switched to the GC method, I'd go back.

Somebody on here stated recently that they won't do GC if they think the fuel is below 1%, however, they did GC on my VOA, so, I don't think that's accurate. It probably depends on which kit you buy. I buy KIT401, which is the Canadian UPS pre-paid one, FWIW.

Yeah I'm not sure on that as I've only been with OAI for about 6 months after switching from Blackstone. Not sure how long they've been using the GC method. If Blackstone switched to the GC method, I'd go back.
Thanks for letting me know..
Somebody on here stated recently that they won't do GC if they think the fuel is below 1%, however, they did GC on my VOA, so, I don't think that's accurate. It probably depends on which kit you buy. I buy KIT401, which is the Canadian UPS pre-paid one, FWIW.
Ahh, so maybe that's it.. that they thought it was under 1% back when I tried them. Guess I'll add a note to ask them to do GC.. and yep. I did get the same kit for OAI, UPS pre-paid. Be interesting to see what the results are from them next time I send it in.

Thanks for letting me know..

Ahh, so maybe that's it.. that they thought it was under 1% back when I tried them. Guess I'll add a note to ask them to do GC.. and yep. I did get the same kit for OAI, UPS pre-paid. Be interesting to see what the results are from them next time I send it in.
Looking forward to it!

Back