95 F150 Transmission Questions !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have bought F150 ,95 RWD with 5.0 302 and 4R70W Trans,

the truck has high mielage(2XX.XX) and obviously the transmission fluid needs to be changed because
I notice bad O/D shudder but there is some thing I need to inquire about If it has anything to do with transmission fluid .The radiator was replaced Last January because the truck was leaking coolant ,so the mechanic replaced the radiator and then few days later I noticed transmission fluid leak and slipping and BROWN spots in the over flow coolant tank so, back to his shop and he said the problem was the radiator again and was replaced again with Visteon(or something like that) radiator and flushed coolant then topped transmission fluid by one quart because the dipstick was dry.

Now Transmission fluid looks pink and shudder is still there despite Red Lubeguard tube was added with no significance change and I noticed foams/airbubbles on the dipstick and these brown spots are really bugging but the truck doesn't overheat

I'm determined on changing the transmission fluid/filter soon and this will be my first DIY job and If anybody can show me where the crank pulley bolt which I have to turn to get the TC lined up ? and If this Torque wrench will be good to tighten the pan bolts?

Torque Wrench

Appreciate it guys

Isn't draining the TC optional?

a 1/2 torque wrench is way too much for pan bolts. Go with 1/4".

I don't know if it's optional but I'm trying to get as much old fluid out as I can.

If I can do without torque wrench I will but I afraid to tear the gasket

You should be afraid of dimpling the pan when overtorquing. This will cause leaks in the gap between two bolt heads.

I'd get a cordless drill (with click torque thingers) and an adapter to whatever socket you need for the pan bolts. Makes dropping it and hanging it back up go much faster. Start and end with a hand driven tool.

If you lack a torque wrench just use a stubby wrench/socket driver and don't put much into it.

I have a cordless drill and I will definitely use it to loosen the pan bolts and snug em back on after I'm done ..but how to line the Torque converter Bolt so I can take it off ?any ideas?

Thanks bud.

Why not just do a fluid exchange thru the cooler lines? Pull off one line and attach a clear hose large enough to slip over it and into a bucket. Crank engine to see which way fluid flows. You want the side that flows out to go into a bucket marked with lines to indicate each quart. Attach another hose to the cooler to add fluid thru, or plug it and use the dipstick tube. Start engine and flush out a couple quarts then add in a couple quarts and do this until you have run about 15 quarts thru. You will see the fluid color change from dark brownish red to bright red. Here is link to a Chrysler site with more details. http://www.allpar.com/eek/atf.html

Last edited:
This is going to be my weekend project
smile.gif

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back