94 Ford starting problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I got a 94 Ford Eco Van 3/4 ton with a 4.9L engine thats real hard to start the first time of the day. It just cranks n cranks till battery dies usually, get it running and it starts good all day I'm thinking fuel pump is bad but not to sure. Haven't checked it out due to cold snowy weather but I need to, so I was hoping for some suggestions as to what all could cause this. Any suggestions would be a big help. I've tried injecter cleaner didnt help.
Thanks guys
Mark

It could be a bad sensor, I would check to see if you have any codes. Coolant temp sensor, would cause hard cold starts, or an air charge sensor, I believe is the name. These sensors richen the fuel mix when the engine is cold, it sounds like the fuel mix is not rich enough for a cold start.

Ok could be cuz check engine light is on. Went to Autozone to have it scanned but they said it is to old for what they got to scan with so I'll have to find out how to scan and read codes with the jumper method if thats what you would call it. Any links on the net for that that anyone knows of.
Thanks

well went out to check things over I've had tape over the light so long that I forgot it was ABS light on not service engine light so theres not no sence trying to check codes is there? But made a short cut to that link thanks that will come in handy.

Last edited:
On a cold day with a cold start, try a good shot of starting fulid in the intake first.
If she pops over and starts right away, you know it is a fuel problem, not ignition .
Now you only have half of the possible problems to deal with.

At first thought, your fuel pump is weak, or the pressure regulator is bad. Like mentioned^, your coolant sensor may be faulty.

I checked for pressure before I even turned key on and none pulled stem core out to make sure and no pressure. Is there a way to check the pressure reg to see if thats the problem ? Cranked over 5 times for 20-30 seconds before it started then ran sluggish at first. I got a vaccum tester but what should it read

Last edited:
doing some reading got to test for how much pressure so got to go make a pressure tester and start there still like to know how to test the regulater

Change the fuel filter for starters?

I can't remember if that has the two fuel pumps like the F-series trucks or not.

On the trucks, there was a low pressure pump in the tank, and a high pressure pump on the frame rail. If the low pressure pump wasn't working, it would likely explain your problem...... IF you have one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back