94-99 toyota celica,any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello,

10 years ago my brother used to have a white 94 celica gt(back then i was only 13 years old). And i loved that car,it was very comfortable and that dashboard was awesome.
I currently drive a 2000 eclipse gt. I'm looking for a 94-99 celica in good shape. I just want to know if this car is reliable for being 13+ years old?

Any Thoughts? Feedback?

Is the Celica to replace the 2000 Eclipse? If so keep the Eclipse. I had a 94 Camry with a 4 cyl and it just kept on running over 225K miles until I sold it. However that was my Dad's who thought going 50 MPH was going fast. Kids could have beat a Celica since its a sporty vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Is the Celica to replace the 2000 Eclipse? If so keep the Eclipse. I had a 94 Camry with a 4 cyl and it just kept on running over 225K miles until I sold it. However that was my Dad's who thought going 50 MPH was going fast. Kids could have beat a Celica since its a sporty vehicle.

No,im keeping the eclipse as a "weekend car"...and the celica is going to be my new daily driver.

Last edited:

I wouldn't worry, I buy cars that are very likely to have been driven hard, cars are meant to be driven. I find that cars that are supposed to be never beat on or "family cars" are the worst ones... if it drives nice, shifts nice and the engine is clean inside I don't care.

Last edited by a moderator:
Verify engine type. The 98-02 1zz-fe engine has a piston design flaw. To few, too small oil returns that plug easily leading to bad oil consumption issues. Engine cleaning won't work, requires a teardown to resolve.

Check out 6gc.net for some good info on these cars. My daughter has a '95 GT, and is happy with it. I would probably look into doing the timing belt/water pump if the history is unknown. The engines were used in other cars as well, so at least around here junkyard parts are plentiful.

Originally Posted By: Brenden

I wouldn't worry, I buy cars that are very likely to have been driven hard, cars are meant to be driven. I find that cars that are supposed to be never beat on or "family cars" are the worst ones... if it drives nice, shifts nice and the engine is clean inside I don't care.

You must know more about checking used cars out than most people and your state must not have annual inspection. Around here, sport cars are usually avoided as they tend to be driven hard by idiots drivers. Same goes for Wranglers with big wheels and jacked up. This is why most Wranglers are returned to stock or semi stock configuration before sale to hide their former mud life.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Verify engine type. The 98-02 1zz-fe engine has a piston design flaw. To few, too small oil returns that plug easily leading to bad oil consumption issues. Engine cleaning won't work, requires a teardown to resolve.

6th gens have 5sfe and its variants.

Originally Posted By: grampi
I was always told the GT's engine was good, the ST's was not....

ST's had 7A-FE, same as the mid 90's corollas. Really slow, but reliable.

Put it to you this way. I was just at New York Comiccon a few weeks back, and a friend of mine from online drove up from Atlanta, that's 2,000 miles round trip, in his 1996 Toyota Celica with 195,000 miles, no front bumper and 3 speed auto. No CEL, got him to and from reliably and comfortably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back