91 FW Sundowner 255 w/5.7LE OMC Cobra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before it turns into an issue, this is my 3rd boat in my lifetime with the OMC Cobra outdrive. The original owner had the shift cable replaced and its the red/orange revised cable. It passed a mechanical survey with no issues.

Whew. Ok, so I picked up a very very clean, always stored on the hoist, 91 Sundowner 255 with 281 hours. The outdrive was replaced last year because they hit something (I saw the pictures - the skeg and prop were mangled!). Last I checked, I could only use fluid dubbed "HI-VIS" in the OMC Cobra outdrives, or is there a comparable substitute?

Also, the engine has always been serviced by the marina the boat was bought at. The oils (engine & outdrive) were changed at the end of last season, and are very clean looking. I don’t know what they put back in (Ill assume the Mercruiser oil). I know that I have great oil pressure, better than any 350 Ive had in the past!

What is the recommended oil for the 350’s? The last 350 I had (it was a 99 Four Winns 25’ Vista), I ran Amsoils 10w/30 slash 30w HD synthetic diesel oil, and I had problems with low oil pressure after coming off plane. I put 100-125 hours on a season.

In your area I would use a good straigt 30W. In the lower end I alway have used 80W90 automotive gear GL5 oil and that works well. Marine gear oils are just for marketing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back