90 Something Ford F150

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, I have a quick Question. I was just given a work truck to take care of, a 90 something ford F150. I have to pull a lot of weight with it so it is used very hard. It has a 300 straight six, and is at times floored for extended periods just to get the hunk of [censored] up a nearby hill. All other times it is still driven very hard. What oil would be best? Thank you for your time!

Last edited:
I recently did an oil change on one that had the cheapest oil & filters you can find. It's a '95 with the 300 and it still runs great. He didn't even know the last time the oil was changed when I changed it. It was pretty black and a little low. I ended up using Formula Shell 5W-30 in it. In short, like DieselTech said, it will run great on whatever you put in it. They're pretty tough motors. If it leaks/burns oil and you can't justify the investment of replacing seals, I would go for a high mileage oil such as Valvoline MaxLife or Castrol GTX High Mileage.

Originally Posted By: DieselTech
That 300 will run forever on about anything.

+1 ford can make em!

Our dad owns a 1991 F-150 with the 4.9L inline-six. My brother also drives it once in a while. Just recently both my dad and brother made the comment how it just doesn't run as well as it use to. Wondering if the internals were a little dirty, I decided to experiment. I changed the oil and used Rotella Triple Protection 10W-30 along with MMO. I didn't even tell them what I had done. After a couple of trips, my brother asked, "Did you do something to the truck? It's running a lot quietier and smoother." Just the other day, we were in the truck, and he accelerated up to 55, and when he reached it, he said, "Whoa! What did you do to this truck? I have to hold it back, it just wants to go!"

I don't know if it is the Rotella, MMO, or even the MMO in the fuel, but something is helping.

I highly suggest a HDEO such as Rotella, delvac or delo in the 300. They will run on about anything but I do feel the HDEO is better for that engine. I seriously have seen some 300 with 500k miles on them. Inline engines just have the dynamics to run a lonnnnngggggggg time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back