'87 Volvo steering problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
1987 Volvo 740GLE, when I got the car 1 1/2 years ago, the steering was OK to the left, but first turn of steering wheel to the right was hard, then OK rest of way. Now it is hard all the time. Noticed fluid was thick and silver colored. Was that from rack internals wearing out? Siphoned all I could from resevoir and added new, got a little easier to turn. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Fabmanrich

I guess this problem is one typical of the Volvos and I'm sure sooner or later you'll find a decent answer. I heard this before. Many years ago I looked for buying a used 760 which was having exactly the same problem. Looks like some valve is stuck, or inoperative. Restoring the fluid may solve? If there is aeration, then most probably there is an air leak (inwards) at the suction side of the pump. This might also mal the operation of pressure valve(s).

BTW, I like those Volvos (but I'm of no help).

It is a great little car. It runs like a top, except for the steering, but at 190K miles I guess you gotta expect some problems! I'm getting the system flushed and new fluid Friday, hopefully that will answer some questions.

Richie

[ March 29, 2006, 11:03 PM: Message edited by: Fabmanrich ]

Since no -real- answers so far, brickboard.com is one frequently recommended site here whenever it is the Volvo. Best of lucks! I feel this is a typical problem for Volvoes of that fashion.

[ March 30, 2006, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: ikeepmychevytoo ]

Draining and refilling with fresh fluid should do it. There is no scheduled replacement for the power steering fluid (uses Dex 3 ATF fluid BTW). Aside from topping up, you may still have the same fluid that was put in back in 1986-87 when the car was new.

My 85 240 started to get a whine from the power steering pump at about 230,000mi. Pulled the hose going into the rack to drain then filled up with fresh fluid. Quiet, smooth, and leak-free at 266,000mi now. Original rack and pump.

Lube the U-Joint in the steering shaft between the firewall and the steering box. Use a good grease and not WD-40. You may need to replace if necessary. This usually fixes the problem that you describe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back