$85k new electric vehicle bricks in the snow!

Truck is BAD in snow. It can push, some of them, but that is about it. Then add drivers who think big truck+wide tires=fastest on the road.
Trucks have their advantages, slick roads and snow are not one if them.
A truck is as bad or good as the tires you have on it. Yeah, wide all terrain tires aren't a recipe for success in the snow, we run dedicated snow tires and find our RAM very capable (and predictable) in snow and on ice.

what's with all these safety features? up until it physically can't anymore, i want my car to move and stop. running on 3 cylinders, stuck in 2nd gear, i don't care. if it is capable of motion i don't want a computer shutting me down because it detected a slide away condition. my car better have a good reason it quit, not some computer second guessing me.

rivians are cool though, like a big electric golf cart that I can rally around the desert in.

You'll find a repeating pattern - people with zero experience post their "feelings" telling you what is an isn't convenient or will work for you.

These people can offer no expanded understanding, or share actual experience because they have none.

The sum of their "contributions" is to attach posts that support their position.

I understand automatically being negative toward anything one feel forced upon, but realistically ice will be around the rest of our lives and EV's may never fully replace tow or extremely large vehicles.
Bingo, you’ll find that there’s always some specific use case being held up as the sole, reason X vehicle isn’t good for anyone.

The (Trail)Blazer “sucks” since it’s a pedestrian crossover and not a 4Runner, Bronco, Wrangler off-road fighter.

The F-150 Lightning “sucks” since it won’t be convenient for long-distance towing.

Newsflash, every vehicle is an exercise in finding a compromise that works for you, some more radical than others

what's with all these safety features? up until it physically can't anymore, i want my car to move and stop. running on 3 cylinders, stuck in 2nd gear, i don't care. if it is capable of motion i don't want a computer shutting me down because it detected a slide away condition. my car better have a good reason it quit, not some computer second guessing me.

I see your point. However, while EVs are in some ways simpler and have many less moving parts they’re also far more sensitive in some ways and if it detects a problem, real or not, it will shut down. For example, let’s say a coolant level sensor fails on an EV and it thinks there is no coolant, it will just shut down the drivetrain to prevent damage to the battery. Yes that’s very inconvenient. But you know people would ignore a “check coolant level” warning and the battery would fail and then they’d complain and sue etc. so that’s just the way it’s going to be.

Newsflash, every vehicle is an exercise in finding a compromise that works for you, some more radical than others
you’ll find that there’s always some specific use case being held up as the sole, reason X vehicle isn’t good for anyone.

Newsflash, the POINT of posting the article is that it should actually be capable of doing the task called upon. You're saying a bit of snow is not a realistic task for an $85,000+ a AWD SUV with 20" tires, lengthy boasting about "off road" capabilities, traversing rocks, deep water, snow, sand, loose dirt, etc. should be more than capable of what we can observe from the photos? No way should it have gotten stuck, and then bricked.

This is the alleged Rivian performance capabilities, which is OBVIOUSLY now another "snow job" just like most of the false EV marketing nonsense that people really must start to see thru as top rate propaganda.

"Drive through 3+ feet of water. Rock crawl at a 100% grade. Traverse just about any terrain with 14.9 inches of ground clearance. Tow up to 7,700 lbs. With a 0-60 mph time as quick as 3 seconds, depending on your configuration, it also delivers the on-road handling of a sports car.¹ Set your R1S for a smooth ride around town or put it in Off-Road mode for the trail. With multiple modes, you can tailor the R1S to your personal driving preferences or different road conditions.

Off-Road Rock Crawl

This mode is designed for the most challenging off-road situations, such as climbing over rocks or steep grades. It sets the ride height to high — balancing stability with clearance — with room to go higher when you need to. Vehicles equipped with Quad-Motor AWD can also manage the torque for each wheel independently for precise, slow-speed maneuvering over rugged obstacles.

Off-Road Rally

Designed for higher off-road speeds on gravel roads, this mode activates torque vectoring to proactively distribute power between all four wheels (front to rear only on Dual-Motor), while modifying the traction and stability control systems to provide excellent performance and control.

Off-Road Drift

This mode is for advanced drivers wanting to drift their R1S on a closed course. It uses torque vectoring to proactively distribute power between all four wheels (front to rear only on Dual-Motor), and significantly reduces traction control intervention, increasing the fun-to-drive experience in snow, sand and loose dirt."

Off road video featuring a Rivian in a hill climb was easy to judge:

1. Chevy Colorado ZR2
2. Toyota Taco
3. Rivian

What‘s this thing weigh ?

Newsflash, the POINT of posting the article is that it should actually be capable of doing the task called upon. You're saying a bit of snow is not a realistic task for an $85,000+ a AWD SUV with 20" tires, lengthy boasting about "off road" capabilities, traversing rocks, deep water, snow, sand, loose dirt, etc. should be more than capable of what we can observe from the photos? No way should it have gotten stuck, and then bricked.

This is the alleged Rivian performance capabilities, which is OBVIOUSLY now another "snow job" just like most of the false EV marketing nonsense that people really must start to see thru as top rate propaganda.

"Drive through 3+ feet of water. Rock crawl at a 100% grade. Traverse just about any terrain with 14.9 inches of ground clearance. Tow up to 7,700 lbs. With a 0-60 mph time as quick as 3 seconds, depending on your configuration, it also delivers the on-road handling of a sports car.¹ Set your R1S for a smooth ride around town or put it in Off-Road mode for the trail. With multiple modes, you can tailor the R1S to your personal driving preferences or different road conditions.

Off-Road Rock Crawl

This mode is designed for the most challenging off-road situations, such as climbing over rocks or steep grades. It sets the ride height to high — balancing stability with clearance — with room to go higher when you need to. Vehicles equipped with Quad-Motor AWD can also manage the torque for each wheel independently for precise, slow-speed maneuvering over rugged obstacles.

Off-Road Rally

Designed for higher off-road speeds on gravel roads, this mode activates torque vectoring to proactively distribute power between all four wheels (front to rear only on Dual-Motor), while modifying the traction and stability control systems to provide excellent performance and control.

Off-Road Drift

This mode is for advanced drivers wanting to drift their R1S on a closed course. It uses torque vectoring to proactively distribute power between all four wheels (front to rear only on Dual-Motor), and significantly reduces traction control intervention, increasing the fun-to-drive experience in snow, sand and loose dirt."

Does having a problem mean that it cannot do these things?

Similarly

Does a 7.3 Ford F250 with a wiped lifter mean it cannot tow its rated weight, have its rated clearance, or achieve its posted capabilities?

your ford with a wiped lifter can still move under it's own power, and I think that's where the rivian really fell short

your ford with a wiped lifter can still move under it's own power, and I think that's where the rivian really fell short

THAT Rivian certainly fell short.

Does that mean they as a group lied about their spec- or that there is problem with that vehicle?

Back